Beauty Pageants do more harm than good

Before proceeding, it must be noted that these aren't necessarily the opinions of the debaters.

Beauty Pageants are a great thing, and I would love to prove this to you, guys.

Also, please note the debating should actually start in round two.

Firstly, not only do I thank you for accepting my debate, but welcome you to :)

Now, I will proceed with my arguments.

Okay, well, our bodies are objects. If we prick ourselves, we will bleed. What is wrong with utilizing these physical tools for the betterment of ourselves and out society?

Beauty pageants and self-image go together. They can be great experiences for everyone. Being in front of large audiences as a child will help them build up their self-confidence, in addition to that they"ll become comfortable in front of crowds. And this ability can carry over into quantities of other activities, such as dance, dramas, music recitals, and future public speaking classes. No matter what profession or role a child chooses they will more than likely, at some point, need to be able to speak confidently, whether as a stay-at-home mum, or in front of the parliament. Beauty pageants can help them overcome shyness and help develop skills that are essential in future.

Secondly, Beauty Pageants are a fun, competitive sport, helping us build skills for the future. In sport you teach the child, they practice, and then become a gracious winner, or committed, persistent runner-up, losers. It"s the same. It"s just like a sport. Kids also learn the aspects of rules and fair play. Why would you believe that a sport is a bad influence? A definition for sport is, "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others." Beauty Pageants are just a sport, is it right to stop a competitive sport? Allie Richardson, a child taking place in this sport, says that she likes doing the pageants because they"re fun and she likes making new friends. She says, "Sometimes I get to be in other pageants with her friends. And when her friends win, then she"s really happy for them." She also said, "I like winning; too, but winning isn't everything."

It is also said that losing pageants can cause competitors to have major insecurities, decreasing self-esteem and confidence. As being against that, I would like to refute and say losing in any sport can cause a lack of confidence. Life is a series of trial, and tests. We are constantly competing for grades, and jobs, because that"s part of human nature, competition is a part of human nature. I agree losing hurts our self-esteem, but that doesn't signify we should stay away from any competition, definitely not, it just means you must be careful of how you define the words "competition" and "defeat" to the contestant. One cannot blame the unjustifiable actions of a team/contestant because of the existence of the sport.

Many people believe that contestants get bullied at beauty pageants, which is, in fact, inaccurate. In fact, beauty pageants have saved many lives from drowning. Let me give you an example, a girl attempted suicide five times after being bullied at school. She credits her mum for supporting her through the hormone treatments. Also, competing in beauty pageants was contributing to improving her self-assurance. Another student was teased and bullied because of acne. Those mean bullies called her "dart board" making attending school the worst possible experience ever. Now the teenager is in college and using beauty pageants to boost her confidence. After receiving treatment from her doctor she competed in the local pageant and won. Now the bullies cannot stop her and she is moving on to the Regional Pageant. Other child beauty queens who had been bullied are using their crowns and banners to fight against bullying. A 15-year-old pageant winner wants to take her anti-bullying campaign on to competing in the Miss America Pageant when she reaches the age of seventeen. Another eighth grade student was bullied so badly that she didn't even want to go to school. She explained how participating in pageants gave her a great deal confidence she said, in quotes "I always think if you can stand on stage in front of hundreds of people, then I can stand up to the bullies being horrible to me". Do you want to stop beauty pageants after all the good things they have done?

Also, apologies for taking so long, I have been busy.

N3wbSnipez forfeited this round.

oh... well, that's sad now...

N3wbSnipez forfeited this round.

As my opponent, has closed their account, this debate is closed, and I ask for you to not vote.
Also, I do not know how to close this debate, so I will leave it hanging.

N3wbSnipez forfeited this round.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
Ain't that a shame, now? I was looking forward to the debate... N3wbSnipez, you couldn't have closed your account, now?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago