sidewinder
drewster

Beauty and the Beast

Started: 2/24/2015 Category: Arts

sidewinder

Pro

I'll be arguing that the Beauty and the Beast is about how society ostrasizes those who do not fit social norms. My opponent will be arguing that the beauty in the Beast does not carry such morals or carries a different moral aka stockholm syndrome and many other different interpretations. The Burden of proof will be on Pro

first round is for acceptance
drewster

Con

Hello sidewinder! I look forward to debating you, and I agree to your terms. The pro has the burden to prove, and I, as the con, simply have to prove that Beauty and the Beast has other morals, and that society ostracizing those who fit in is not the same moral. Looking forward to the debate!
sidewinder

Pro

The true villain in this story is not Gaston but instead the citizens of the town who support him and even love him. People don't like Belle because of the fact that she reads, they don't like beast for looking different than others, and Belles father is nearly carted to a insane asylum for being eccentric.

Howard Ashman, who collaborated on the films screenplay and themes was a gay man who died of AIDS shortly after the film was complete. With this fact in your head the movie brings a different message. Gaston shows that bullies are rewarded and beloved by society if they posses a certain set of characteristics, while nice people who don't are ostracized. Thus the love story between belle and Beast is a story of finding solace from rejection with each other.

The affects of a bullying society are truly shown when the whole town comes to kill him. He's not angry and at first doesn't fight back. This is because he feels that belle doesn't love him and he can't bring himself to love himself and is convinced that he is a horrible monster. Thus he gave up on life and didn't even fight back even when nearly dead until he saw that belle still loved him which gave Beast something to live for.

It is also a significant departure from the original Grimm brother story. In the Grimm version the Beast asks the princess the marry him everyday until she finally does. In the Movies the beast doesn't ask belle ever because he can't find it in himself to love himself because he has been ostracized by society for his appearance. It is only when he is accepted by someone else that he finds it in himself to fight against Gaston and win.

Thus the overarching message that I see in the Beauty and the Beast is that society rewards bullies because we think that the victims don't belong in society. This movie helps demonstrate how this thinking is wrong and is ultimately ignorant and destructive.
drewster

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for instigating this very interesting debate.

Now I agree that a moral of Beauty and the Beast is that society ostracizes those who do not fit social norms. But I do not believe it is the only moral in the story, or even the main one. I will be exploring 3 other morals that could be seen as the overarching morals. My job is simply to convince you that society ostracizing those who do not fit in is not the only thing Beauty and the Beast is about.

Now my first alternative moral I shall be presenting is that of true beauty.

The beast was repulsive on the outside, and scared belle at first. But once she got to know him and realize what he really was like under his fur, she loved him for who he was. This is parallel to Gaston, who is handsome, ripped and very attractive. But on the inside, he is ugly. He's an arrogant self absorbed jerk. So while the Beast's outside appearance is ugly, and Gaston's outside appearance is attractive, the one with the most true beauty is the Beast. Now, think of the rose. The rose was a ticking time bomb, and once the last petal fell off, the Beast would die. Now, the only way to stop the rose from killing the Beast was for the beast to find true love. When the Beast was a prince, he was self absorbed and arrogant while beautiful, much like Gaston, then he was visited by an enchantress who tied his life to the rose. The enchantress knew that the only way the Beast would find true love would be for him to become a good person on the inside and meet someone who would realize it. The enchantress knew that the Beast would need to find true beauty, and realize that that's what matters most.

Now, a second moral I would like to present is that of love.

The tale, Beauty and the Beast shows that love is stronger than hate. While Gaston is driven by hate, he ends up down a dark path. While the characters of Beauty and the Beast find that love is a much stronger force than that of hate. The rose is also an example hear. The only way for the Beast to be saved is for him to find love. He spends much of his early time brooding in hatred, but that did not save him. What did save him, was love.

The third theme of Beauty and the Beast I would like to offer for consideration is that of treating women like people.

Gaston is one of the scariest villains in all of Disney. We all know someone like him, who only thinks of himself, and treats women like objects, or like some tally mark that he can chalk up. But he can't get Belle! He sees belle as his ultimate trophy, but he cannot get this trophy! Why? Because he treats her like a trophy instead of treating her like a human. Beast on the other hand, wants her love, and eventually after he realizes he's a huge jerk, puts his life on the line for her twice! Once when the wolves were going to eat her, and once when Gaston storms the castle. He gives her a library, he takes her dancing. The point is, he treats her like a lady. he serves her and values her well being more than his own, and that's why she fell in love with him. If you treat women like objects, you'll never get a real, healthy relationship. You'll only get casual sex and trail of one night stands behind you. The Beast wanted true love, and he got it by treating Belle with respect, like a lady.

Now, you don't have to agree with all three of these morals for me to deserve your vote. My burden is to prove that any of these three morals could be a main theme of Beauty and the Beast. Now if you believe that that is true, then I should be deserving of your vote, and I will have fulfilled my burden.
sidewinder

Pro

sidewinder forfeited this round.
drewster

Con

Awh. I'm sad you forfeited! Please come back!!
sidewinder

Pro

sidewinder forfeited this round.
drewster

Con

drewster forfeited this round.
sidewinder

Pro

sidewinder forfeited this round.
drewster

Con

drewster forfeited this round.