MichiGirl
Sui_Generis

Beauty is better than brains

Sui_Generis

MichiGirl

Con

In this debate, I will prove that beauty is NOT better than brains. Beauty is natural, therefore it is not a achievement of any kind. Brainy people work hard for it, so they deserve to be acknowledged. Lastly, brains achieve more than beauty. People who are beautiful are scarcely successful in their life, as beauty runs out, while brains do not.
Sui_Generis

Pro

Thank you for offering this debate! I will assume you carry the BoP as the Instigator, and as you have not specified.

In this debate, I will clearly show that beauty is better than brains. However, I will ask that voters make their decisions with BoP in mind, and using ONLY the arguments found here, disregarding their personal convictions as to which is better.

If Con will allow it, I will also assume some definitions:

Beauty: Physical features generally understood to arouse or incite feelings of attraction.

Better: Of more usefulness or greater utility in life.

Brains: Intelligence, or cognitive ability.

As there has been no specification, I will not assume. Instead I will wait until my opponent has made opening arguments before I begin. I would also ask for any clarification in how rounds are set up from Con. Otherwise, I look forward to a good debate!
MichiGirl

Con

Hello! This is my first debate and everything, so I'm not quite sure on all the details and such. Sorry I haven't specified. My first argument that beauty is not better than brains, is that beauty is natural, therefore, it is not a achievement of any kind, and beautiful people shouldn't be acknowledged for their beauty. Besides, the true meaning of 'beauty' is undefined, as different people will think differently of the definition, beauty. However, brains are much more defined than beauty. Beauty does not last forever, while brains, and ability do. Once old age hits, will beauty still exist for those? On the other hand, brains will last forever (this, of course, is disregarding the fact of any disease of forgetfulness, etc)
Sui_Generis

Pro

Haha, I'd welcome you to the site, but I have yet to complete any debates here myself, so I don't want to seem presumptuous. :P

On to the debate.

My opponent opens, claiming that beauty is not an achievement of any kind. This is patently false. Granted, some facial features are naturally more attractive and are genetic, being hereditary, however many other factors combine to have a much greater role than hereditary facial features. Things such as makeup, grooming, hygiene, hair care, fashion choices, exercise, skin care, posture, walk, and general bearing all are SIGNIFICANT when someone evaluates an individual's beauty. And all of these things are made more attractive when time is spent honing them and working on them. This clearly evident truth is represented in how prevalent the "before & after" picture trope is. There could be no "before" and "after" of something that is received at birth.

Con also implicitly assumes that brains are thus NOT natural. I will show this to be false as well. Knowledge is of course not inherent--it must be learned. Learning is far more effectively accomplished when the task is approached with diligence and hard work. However knowledge is a small fraction of what constitutes "brains." For example, IQ, a commonly recognized approximation for intelligence measurement, measures cognitive ability. This is genetic and hereditary. Using myself as an anecdote, I have an above-average IQ. This has allowed me to wildly succeed in all of the minimum wage jobs my lack of experience initially forced me to endure. Community college, while difficult and requiring work for my peers, was easy for me to get As in without so much as opening the book. (Universities haven't proved to be AS easy, admittedly.) But above average IQs are ascertainable from a young age, and generally stay consistent, even through the acquisition of knowledge.

In addition to cognitive ability and knowledge, there are many other forms of "brains," proving false my opponent's (again implicit) claim that "brains" as an idea is far more objective. There is fluid intelligence, crystal intelligence, emotional intelligence--it does not boil down to how well one scores on the SAT.

As for beauty remaining largely undefined--it is true, many people have different specific definitions. However our definition for the purpose of this debate I argue would be largely acknowledged as an acceptable definition. Beauty of character is beyond the scope of this debate. And as such, it is relatively easy to at the very least approximate a gradation of beauty if given a sufficient range of options, e.g., photos of the population.

Beauty does not last forever, Con argues, while brains do. (Ability is beyond the scope of this debate, as it is very possible to have brains but lack the motivation to accomplish a given task. see: me) This claim is also not nearly as clear-cut as my opponent makes it out to be. Does my opponent argue that there are not many beautiful people past the age of 45? Mental decline begins very early, becoming clear into the 40s. [1] This is apart from any sort of age-related mental affliction, such as Alzheimer's or dementia. (My opponent may not simply brush away a major opposing argument to her position by stating that she is "disregarding it.")

On top of all this, brains often serve to alienate those less intelligent than oneself. Superiors who happen to be less intelligent tend to be intimidated and not supportive. Whereas for beautiful people, multiple studies show that people who are generally said to be attractive, or beautiful to be more likely to be acquitted, more likely to be voted into public office, and more likely to receive praise from teachers. [2] Thus, beauty has many benefits! If you are sufficiently sexually attractive, the option occasionally presents itself to obtain shortcuts to your goals by having sex with certain people, whether they be employers, or investors. This is not legal, however it contributes to potential benefit and utility. (I will remind the voters that morality is not being discussed in this debate.)

[1] http://faculty.virginia.edu...;

[2] http://www.hofstra.edu...;

I look forward to my opponent's arguments in return.
MichiGirl

Con

MichiGirl forfeited this round.
Sui_Generis

Pro

My opponent has forfeited. I consider my established arguments to be sufficient to show that Con has not fulfilled their Burden of Proof, and Brains are not clearly better than Beauty.

Vote Pro!
Posted by Sola.Gratia 4 years ago
Sola.Gratia
Although I understand both view.. I would have to say neither are better than the other.. They both have very much importance which in all is what makes the heart the way it is to show beauty outwardly.. The heart is what truly brings forth of the brain and beauty of a person not one over the other.. They all play a role together and without one or the other its not stable.. Just my opinion though..
Posted by Bellarella333 4 years ago
Bellarella333
I would like to add that working out is for health and to get fit, you don't work out and have a super star face.
Posted by Bellarella333 4 years ago
Bellarella333
Beauty is not better just because it gets u a boyfriend it just happens and btw no baby is born smart
Posted by effimero89 4 years ago
effimero89
Heatgang22 you are right but I thinking the average person does not otherwise America would be fully of decent looking smart girls instead of attractive not so smart (I am speaking in general)
Posted by Heatgang22 4 years ago
Heatgang22
Let's put it this way. Most people yearn for respect. Which quality would most likely put you in a position to get that respect? Beauty or Brains? Furthermore, people find beauty in how smart an individual is.
Posted by effimero89 4 years ago
effimero89
There is a lot of people "born smart"... I mean I have plenty of friends that do not study or work hard and have high I.Q.'s.. People can also "work" at being beautiful, ex. eating healthy, excising often... etc. etc.
Posted by zahra1 4 years ago
zahra1
Oh ok
Posted by Bellarella333 4 years ago
Bellarella333
I wasn't talking to you zahara I was talking to the ppl who think it is work
Posted by zahra1 4 years ago
zahra1
I neva sed that though I sed that u are more likely to be respected by people for ur brains not the fact that u put on so much make up that u look fake I neva sed puttin on make up is a job!
Posted by Bellarella333 4 years ago
Bellarella333
You can not control beauty it happens naturally but so many people work hard for education and work a lot. Btw putting on make up isn't work
Vote Placed by JonMilne 4 years ago
JonMilne
MichiGirlSui_GenerisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
MichiGirlSui_GenerisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Last round forfeit.