Beauty is skin deep

What is beauty? Pageants? Plastic surgery? If not what is it? The answer is skin deep. How we look doesn't define whether or not we are beautiful. Everyone should have a right to be referenced beautiful and feel good about them selves, instead of being depressed because they are bullied, fat, disabled and so on...

I. Opening

My opponent seems to be confused at what beauty being skin deep means. While Pro argues that people should who are fat, ugly, etc. should be considered beautiful so they can feel good about themselves, he fails to recognize he is explaining why beauty is skin deep. That being that what makes someone beautiful is based on his/her outward appearance.

So, I'd recommend my opponent argue for the side he is on, as to not make this debate easier on me.

II. Construct defines beauty as: the quality present in a thing or person that gives
intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations
(such as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else
(as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest.)

Note the final part, "as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest." It mentions personality and spiritual qualities. Neither of which are viewed as physical traits that are only skin deep.

Not only that, but it seems that anything causing "deep satisfaction to the mind" can be considered beautiful. While this can include physically attractive qualities, there are many other things a person would consider satisfying in a person. This can be anything from humorus personalities to financial success.

III. Closing

The definition speaks for itself. There isn't much to present past that. I will therefore pass the debate to Pro for 2nd round arguments.

I'll make myself clear then.

I am not confused about what beauty being skin deep means. Beauty should actually be skin deep because most people judge others based on their physical appearance rather than their personalities. That is what really matters. Like the saying: "Don't judge a book by its cover, it's what's inside that's matters," - Michael Green (

The quote shows that what is in the inside and nothing should be judged by the physical appearance.

By the way, I am a female.

Now I assume you'll want to go on with round 2.

I. Extension

If my opponent did build her argument around her correct uderstanding of the phrase "Beauty is only skin deep." Then I am to assume I misunderstood the point of her opening statements.

I interpreted what she wrote as what we appear as on the outside isn't what makes someone beautiful, but it is actually a person's inner character that makes them such.
That is, however, in direct contradiction to what "Beauty is only skin deep" means, which is that a person can have an amazing personality whether or not they are beautiful outwardly.

Regardless, she has yet to provide an argument to support her case, which means I have no refutations to deliver.

On to round 3.

Often our society will judge through someone's external beauty not taking into consideration of his or her internal qualities. Our society today has placed many false values on external beauty. Belief in these false values can be very harmful and even fatal to ones well being. At a young age we are taught to believe that external beauty is of utmost importance and can bring success into life. ? If you dress and look like this do you think anyone will marry you?? ? Wow look at that women how beautiful, I am sure she is going places in life? The influence of these views on people?s minds, especially young people can lead to major problems including eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Is it honestly worth it?

Yes, someone's external beauty might lead to success, even fame. For example take a model who is successful. It doesn't matter to the designers, and fashion industry that use her if she has the qualities that make her internally attractive. As long as she has the typical six foot, 98 pound, perky, and defined features she's perfectly beautiful to them.

I. Extension

My opponent appears to be digressing at this point in the debate.
All of last round she went into how unimportant physical beauty is in life, and how harmful it is to society.

This is entirely irrelevant to my opponent's position, which is that beauty is purely physical, or merely skin deep. She has failed to refute my opening argument and thus her BoP remains unfulfilled.

Why have you got to make it so hard on me?

I. Extension

Instead of posing an argument last round, my opponent asked a question. This continues to leave her BoP unfulfilled.

The answer to the question posed by pro is simple I do not have a desire to lose this debate. It was completely with Pro's ability to create a strong argument for her case, but she chose to instead argue for the opposite side. Letting a mistake that drastic go is not within my interests.

TeenyTattle forfeited this round.

AlexanderOc forfeited this round.
Posted by Mike_10-4 1 year ago
"Everyone should have a right..."

The only Rights we have are Unalienable Rights, which are part of the Laws of Nature, not man-made.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
I watched this talk show once where this woman gained 150 pounds after she was married and was upret because her husband quit being interested in her , especially in the bedroom. She was crying and said he should love her anyway she was. He said, " if you love me you would lose those 150 pounds".I completely agree with him.
Posted by aburk903 1 year ago
This seems a bit contradictory. Beauty being only skin deep means the person is only physically beautiful, not otherwise. Perhaps a misunderstanding of the phrase?
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro seems stubborn to make a valid argument for her side, therefore losing conduct and argument points to Con. However, she used a reliable source.