pappu
beem0r

Beijing Olympics 2008 will not change India....

Started: 9/18/2008 Category: Sports

pappu

Pro

I agree that India has performed better than the previous years. Abhinav Bindra became the first individual gold medalist, and Vijendra Singh and Sushil Kumar too performed incredibly well. However, I don't think that India will ever be able to perform as the US and the Chinese did. A few reasons supporting my argument.
1. Most of the Indians are interested only in cricket. It is the only sport that attracts attention from the Indians.
2. The infrastructure of the government does not support other sports.
3. People usually do not take up sports as a career even if they are talented, because of the insecurity of sports in India.
4. Financial crisis is yet another important factor.
5. Education is stressed upon where as sports, art and music are neglected and discouraged. It is a common misconception in India that people who have qualified as great intellectuals or someone who is really good at maths or science are intelligent. Sports persons(except cricketers) and musicians are considered, to be frank, no less than fools. They are never given importance, except a few.
India can never prosper in the field of sports except cricket.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
beem0r

Con

My opponent argues that the 2008 Beijing Olympics will not change India.I negate this. Let me start by responding to my opponent's claims.

My opponent first points out that he doubts that India will ever perform as well as the US or China. This is mere speculation, and I believe I will address it properly by addressing the numbered points my opponent lists.

My opponent's first numbered claim is that most people from India are only interested in cricket. This is currently true, but the success of India in some Olympic sports has opened up new avenues. Cricket is currently still largely thought to be the only sport that is worth the time in India. Being able to perform well on the world stage at the Olympics, however, has now been shown to be quite possible for Indians. This is proof that these other sports are not a waste of time, and it serves as a heavy incentive for people to take up these new sports. As a cricketer, one can only gain national acclaim. However, in these Olympic sports, an athlete can gain the admiration of the world. Knowing that this is not out of reach for Indians as it was once thought to be, more Indians are and will be taking up new sports. While Cricket may remain the dominant sport of India, it follows logically that the people thereof will become more interested in other sports.

My opponent's second listed claim is that the Indian government does not support other sports. While this may be true, the people's views about other sports will trickle up to the government. Even if not, the government need not change for the country to change - a change on the individual level is sufficient to negate the resolution.

Third on my opponent's list of points is that even talented athletes often do not take up sports due to the insecurity of sports. However, some athletes do take up careers in sports. I am not charged with showing that a large variety of sports will all of a sudden become massively popular. I am charged with showing that some amount of change will occur due to the 2008 Olympic Games and India's success therein. While most people who have talent in sports won't seek a career in sports, some will, and some will seek a career in Olympic sports due to India's recent success. We're not talking about a complete transformation, we're talking about just a little change. The change will propagate itself and have more and more of an effect over time. A little change now has huge effects in the long run - this is known as the butterfly effect.

Fourth, my opponent brings up 'financial crisis.' Literally, all he says is "Financial crisis is yet another important factor." Financial crisis seems to be the reason people don't take up sports all that often, which was covered in point 3. This is not a new point. Even if it were, it is stated as a mere observation, with no conclusion to support my opponent's argument.

Fifth, and last, my opponent notes that education [productivity] is the main focus of a child's upbringing, rather than sports or the arts [entertainment]. This is simply another premise from which point #3 was born. For the same reasons I stated in response to point 3, kids will still be more interested in these Olympic sports, and at least a few people will take up these sports seeking the Olympic glory their fellow countrymen have achieved. I am not claiming that sports will instantly become wildly popular, but a wider array of sports will become SLIGHTLY more popular. This small change today could shape the entire future of India, just as a butterfly fluttering its wings can affect the weather in huge ways.

My opponent closes by saying that India can NEVER prosper in sports besides cricket. This is assuming people with static minds and a government with fixed ideals. Both have the capability to be changed, and even a small change due to Beijing Olympics 2008 negates the resolution. And like I said, a small change can lead to much bigger changes as well.
pappu

Pro

pappu forfeited this round.
beem0r

Con

My opponent as failed to come back to his debate to refute my arguments. I showed last round that there is almost certainly be a small change in India due to the Beijing Olympics 2008. If one wants to claim that a small change does not negate the resolution, I also showed that small changes end up having large effects in the long run.
My rebuttals and my arguments still stand. I will end my second round with that, and hope that my opponent returns to finish the debate he started.
pappu

Pro

pappu forfeited this round.
beem0r

Con

Ladies and gentlemen...

My opponent has not been able to address my points. I have given a pretty solid case for the Beijing Olympics 2008 affecting change on India.

Thus, I urge a vote for CON.
Posted by debate.unique 8 years ago
debate.unique
hi brain_eggleston,
u'r rite. russian is the second language after kyrgyz. But cant a person in kygyz be a linguist? I like learning languages......thanks a lot for appreciating my english.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
Or maybe R3.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
Hopefully her email notification will bring her back for R2.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Okay beemOr...the clock's ticking, we are inside the final 24 hours..I have just checked - the instigator hasn't visited this site since she posted the debate so it is highly likely to result in a series of forfeits on her part.

Should be a free win for you.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
Oh, I'll take it. Right before it expires, too.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
With the launch of v3.0, we've yet to see an open debate expire. NO ONE TAKE THIS!
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Hello pappu!

I think you have an excellent understanding of the situation in India vis-a-vis sport in general and cricket in particular.

I was interested to see that you come from the shores of Lake Issyk Kul in Kyrgyzstan (which is a very beautiful place to live by the way) and wondered how it is that you speak such good English? Isn't Russian still the second language after Kyrgyz?
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
pappubeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 8 years ago
Jamesothy
pappubeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
pappubeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
pappubeem0rTied