ahempy
Y.Mae

Being a "helicopter" parent is good

ahempy

Con

I believe that there are WAY too many "helicopter" parents and "bubble wrapped" kids. The amount of impact parents have on their kids is unbelievable and it is actually ruining their kid's future. Yes, it is fine that you want to be involved in your child's life- that is one of the roles that comes with being a parent, but when your at the point of being your kid's shadow that is enough. Kids have to learn to make decisions on their own. Reality is, you can't be in every aspect of your kids life, you have to send them off on their own at some point in hopes you have prepared them well enough for entering the world. But making every single one of their decisions for them is NOT helping them at all. We have a thing called "failure". Yes , no one wants it, but its bound to happen, but we are supposed to take our failures and analyze it to learn from our mistakes to try to avoid making that error again. Once you are able to think like this, you know you can think for yourself. If your kid is still having trouble making simple, everyday decisions for themselves, then it is your job as a parent to sit back a little out of your kids life and let them figure some things out for themselves. I think that kids need more independence in their lives and the problem is the parents hovering over their child too much. Yes, you are a guide for your kid and their is nothing wrong with that, you just need to understand that you need to let your kid try to make decisions for themselves. Independence can be a hard thing to achieve but if you give your kids a chance to make resolution for them self, you are actually setting them up really well for the future because if they are able to make decisions now, then they will know how to approach more scenarios as they grow older. So take the first step and unravel the bubble wrap off your kid, and guide them in gaining their independence- a crucial and very good skill to possess in your life.
Y.Mae

Pro

Being a "helicopter" parent is not that bad, I think. Yes, I agree that children will have to learn to be dependent on their own but why do they have to learn the hard way? Why do they have to experience "failure" if the parents already know what will eventually happen? I am not saying that the children must not know what failure is but I believe that all parents just wants what's best for their child. Only they can give their advice to a greater advantage to their children. God also gave the authority of being a parent to them, and they have to lead the children until they can stand on their own feet.
ahempy

Con

ahempy forfeited this round.
Y.Mae

Pro

... okay then, it seems like it's already my turn; helicopter parenting is also good for the child. It is one of the best way to monitor them and at the same time, to be a friend who they can depend on. For me, helicopter parenting is a good way for the parents to be the LIGHT to guide them as the children grow, not to be just a shadow.
ahempy

Con

ahempy forfeited this round.
Y.Mae

Pro

Helicopter parenting have a lot of drawbacks, I agree but most of them likely have a good intentions as well. Also, being involved in your child's life is a very good thing. Children nowadays can be easily influence by the people around them and without the parents to guide them, they will waste their lives. Children has to know as they grow that their parents is always beside them. There are also a lot of teenagers who are uncontrollable and leaving your children alone to figure what to do, will do nothing. Independent is important as well, but for the children in our generation, it will just turn into arrogance. Therefore, I am not against helicopter parenting because it helps the children amd parents in so many ways.