HermanGomez95
elthagreat

Being against homosexuality does not make a person a bigot.

HermanGomez95

HermanGomez95

Con

This debate has been created to challenge the assertion that being against homosexuality does not make a person a bigot. Having the misfortune to read that statement in countless posts from my conservative friends on Facebook, I finally decided I should formally create a debate for this.

Since Pro will have the BoP, I’ll waive my arguments for this round, and only provide my definitions.

If Pro cares to challenge them, please take to the comments section so that we can decide before you start your arguments.

The round structure will be as follows.

Round 1

Con: Waives arguments, provides definitions

Pro: Additional definitions, opening arguments.

Round 2

Con: Opening arguments

Pro: Rebuttals

Round 3

Con: Rebuttals

Pro: Rebuttals

Round 4

Con: Rebuttals

Pro: Rebuttals and closing statements (No new arguments)

Round 5

Con: Rebuttals and closing stamens. (No new arguments)

Pro: Waives arguments.

Definitions:

Bigot: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. (merriam-webster)

Discrimination: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people. (merriam-webster)

Civil Rights: the nonpolitical rights of a citizen; especially : the rights of personal liberty guaranteed to United States citizens by the 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution and by acts of Congress. (merriam-webster)

elthagreat

Pro

First off being against homosexuality fits perfectly in line with your own definition. You dislike the idea of homosexuality. in your own definition it says that a bigot is a person who strongly and unfairly (Dislikes) other people, (Ideas), etc. that would include disliking the idea of homosexuality.
Second off I have a problem with the term "strongly". I don't think you have to have a strong disdain for people, ideas, etc to be a bigot.
I also believe that being against homosexuality is unfair given that the arguments against it are usually misleading, religiously based/bias, and do not promote any sort of positive outcome.
How about this definition.
Bigot: Intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself (oxford dictionaries.com)
HermanGomez95

Con

There has been some confusion in this debate. My opponant thought I was arguing against Homosexuality and thereby accepted the debate. When he found out I was not, we agreed to allow the debate to be elected a tie. So, to any future voters, please do not judge any arguments posted here. This debate will not be complete. I appologize for the confusion.
elthagreat

Pro

elthagreat forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

Reminder: There has been some confusion in this debate. My opponant thought I was arguing against Homosexuality and thereby accepted the debate. When he found out I was not, we agreed to allow the debate to be elected a tie. So, to any future voters, please do not judge any arguments posted here. This debate will not be complete. I appologize for the confusion.
elthagreat

Pro

elthagreat forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

elthagreat

Pro

elthagreat forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

elthagreat

Pro

elthagreat forfeited this round.
Posted by footballchris561 1 year ago
footballchris561
Not all arguments against homosexuality are religious. Some are scientific and psychological. This debate should be really easy for pro.
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
So, as long as I strongly dislike them fairly i'm not a bigot? Seems easy enough.
Posted by Ferare 1 year ago
Ferare
The British definition of bigot is different, and excludes the definition used here.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago
16kadams
HermanGomez95elthagreatTied