Laucksy34
gwhit123

Being gay is not a sin or a choice or wrong.

Laucksy34

Pro

Being gay, first off, is determined by your DNA and genes. It is uncontrollable, so how can it be a sin? If it's a choice, then at what point did you sit down and decide you wanted to be straight?
gwhit123

Con

First off, Being gay is not a choice, as you stated, god has predetermined what how you will spend your life. Second being gay, stupid, or smart is not a genetic thing. babies don't know how to walk, eat, talk, count, etc when they are first born, they have to be taught, so the argument of it being genetically passed down is incorrect, seeing that both parents have to contribute, and if a male and a male want a child they have to adopt, same way with the female with female, there has to be xx(MOM) and xy(dad) chromosomes to even be close to having a child so no it is not passed down genetically, and the choice has already been made for you.
Laucksy34

Pro

Laucksy34 forfeited this round.
gwhit123

Con

gwhit123 forfeited this round.
Laucksy34

Pro

Laucksy34 forfeited this round.
gwhit123

Con

gwhit123 forfeited this round.
Laucksy34

Pro

Laucksy34 forfeited this round.
gwhit123

Con

gwhit123 forfeited this round.
Laucksy34

Pro

Laucksy34 forfeited this round.
gwhit123

Con

gwhit123 forfeited this round.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
Also, I don't consider it to be wrong to be gay. I consider homosexual acts to be a sin.
Posted by Samiam 3 years ago
Samiam
First of all, having it be a sin and wrong would be redundant, as they are synonymous in the general sense. Secondly, you would need to split the scientific debate (i.e. a resolution of "Being Gay is Determined by Genetics") from the moral debate (the resolution of which would be something akin to "Homosexuality is not a sin"). Alternatively, you could simply hold a debate over whether homosexuality is a sin, and then leave the issue of proving that homosexuality is or is not a choice to the side who is endeavoring to prove that it is a sin. After all, if they cannot prove that being homosexual is dictated by choice, you would win the debate.

From what you actually have used as your first round, however, I would counter that you have yet to prove that homosexuality is dictated by genetics, and as you are affirmative and hold the burden of proof in that regard, all I would have to prove is that it is socially wrong by citing historical documents. Without having grounds to refute the examples, except by citing documentation about treating all people equally, I would curtail that point of view by stating that how one treats another does not dictate whether they are seen to have committed a sin. Think of how many people consider being a literal whore (man or woman, although male whores are generally referred to as something akin to "players") to be morally wrong, but still treat that person with the respect they would reserve for anyone. Thus, I would be able to refute your argument of whether it is a choice through placing the burden of proof on you, and then provide a scenario whereby traditional values which dictate that homosexuality is a sin do not have to contradict with the values of kindness and equality.

By the way, this comes from someone with the viewpoint that gays should be treated as well as any other person, and that if their sexuality is a sin, it is not my place to judge them, it is God's.
Posted by PerversePsychology 3 years ago
PerversePsychology
"Being gay, first off, is determined by your DNA and genes."

No. YOUR GENDER is determined by your DNA and genes. Being gay is a choice. You will still have the same body, DNA, etc. characteristics as men except for feelings and how you act.
Posted by horisam 3 years ago
horisam
PiercedPanda :"Being gay, first off, is determined by your DNA and genes." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? lol

Ok, fair enough. It is also caused by the enviroment as well as your DNA and genes.
Posted by Legitdebater 3 years ago
Legitdebater
PiercedPanda: "What the heck is the point of a gay pride parade? Its stupid, if there are gay pride parades, why not have straight pride parades?"

Gay pride parades are meant to promote gay rights since homophobia is still quite common in society. Heterosexual pride parades don't exist because there's no such thing as "heterophobia" and heterosexuals are allowed to marry people of the opposite sex (excluding incest) in every country. Heterosexuals already have rights so there's no point in a parade that promotes them.
Posted by Legitdebater 3 years ago
Legitdebater
@PiercedPanda, you did not decide to become straight in an epiphany. Scientific evidence affirms that homosexuality is mainly because of your genetic traits. Gay people don't decide, "Hey, I think I'll be a little rebellious and decide to be attracted to people of my same sex." They have a natural feeling of attraction.
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
I would accept this debate, but I have quite a few of debates going on.
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
When I was able to comprehend. When people children, the majority of the time they don't even know what a homosexual is. Because of this, I have remained straight ever since I began having "crushes" on other individuals. Homosexuality can lead to many things, and many of those things are bad. You are disrespecting plenty of religions, you are showing inappropriate behaviour to children, and you have gay pride parades. What the heck is the point of a gay pride parade? Its stupid, if there are gay pride parades, why not have straight pride parades?
Posted by MasterDebater2 3 years ago
MasterDebater2
I'm with OtakuJordan, too many topics in one debate
Posted by Laucksy34 3 years ago
Laucksy34
When did you decide you wanted to be straight?