MASTERY
curreylo

Being immortal is completely beneficial.

MASTERY

MASTERY

Con

Welcome to this debate. First round for defining. Last round for conclusion. I define immortal as living forever, even through exceptional circumstances, and beneficial as any sort of benefit.

Only you are immortal; the community isn't. Explain why it is completely beneficial to you AND the community. I will explain why it is not beneficial to you and the community.

curreylo

Pro

So why is being immortal great? The way I see it there are two points of view for this argument.

1: being a slightly selfish but still reasonable view, that you will be unhappy. See the main issue people have with this is that your loved ones will die. True this would be sad, but people die. This truth is harsh. If you can get over the fact that the people you love will eventually pass away and look forward and see how you can help other people then you could be a great benefit to everyone around you. This brings me to the second way of looking at this

2: I take your meaning of immortal as ageless and invincible not only could you save millions of lives by being invincible. But think of the knowledge you could share with people. You could be a rescuer of some sort going into places that no one else could. You could advance science greatly and overall help the community.

Finally: The biggest question you have to ask yourself is what sort of person am I? Will I live for my self or will I help millions and suffer for the better of everyone. Also you should rejoice in the time you and your loved ones share not mourn the time they aren't with you. Think of the happiness you were able to give them while they were with you and be happy with that. Yet again ask yourself the question what will you live for?

~Luke Currey
MASTERY

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge. I would like to state that the topic is "Being immortal is completely beneficial.", not partially beneficial.

Yes, you can save millions of people by being immortal & invincible, but what if, say you get tired from all that work??? Then, you would stop rescuing people for a while, leaving more and more mortal people dying. That is certainly not helpful. Onto my case.

While immortality does have good sides to it, it is definitely not COMPLETELY beneficial.

Time Speeds Up Until You're Insane

Mentally, every year that passes is mentally shorter than the one before. For example, if you were a child you might think something is finally over, while your mom (when you were a child) might think "It's already over?". As you get older, time speeds up. When your a million years old, people's lives would start and end in a split-second! That is a terrible downside to immortality, you can't help people if your mind is insanely fast!!

Thank you
curreylo

Pro

curreylo forfeited this round.
MASTERY

Con

My opponent has forfeited the previous round

Your brain is still getting older, mentally.

As you grow older, more and more clutter (memorized information) fills your brain, thus reaching its maximum capacity. That is why your memory is better when young than older. Your brain can barely handle information at age 100; imagine what it would be like at age 1 million.

curreylo

Pro

curreylo forfeited this round.
MASTERY

Con

My opponent has forfeited the previous rounds.
curreylo

Pro

curreylo forfeited this round.
MASTERY

Con

My opponent has forfeited round 2 & 3 & 4 and has not rebutted my round 2 and 3 arguments at all.

Vote Con. Thank you.
curreylo

Pro

curreylo forfeited this round.
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
Completely - always / sometimes with minor exceptions.
Posted by Nebelous 3 years ago
Nebelous
What do you mean by completely? Would the burden of proof be on pro?
Posted by MASTERY 3 years ago
MASTERY
Ok, but I'm con. So it shouldn't be too hard for you.
Posted by MrDelaney 3 years ago
MrDelaney
I was an inch away from accepting, I thought the title said "Being IMMORAL is completely beneficial."

:)
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
MASTERYcurreyloTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's first argument is against the resolution, so Con's already winning, at that stage. Pro's second argument was a seriously good point, arguing that you could spread so much knowledge, help advancements in science etc. The last argument was rhetorical nonsense, the likes of what Russell Brand would say. So, Pro's 2nd argument was the only one that needed addressing. Con highlighted that you would get tired helping all those people, and so being immortal is not completely beneficial, but it does seem highly, at least. Conduct to Con for Pro's forfeits, too.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
MASTERYcurreyloTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.