Being on social networking sites, a curse for teenagers?

Today I would like to debate on a topic, which is a major issue of concern amongst most of the parents and teenagers as well. R the growng social networkng sites,and spurtring interest of childrens (specialy teenages) in them a curse or a blessing for them?
According to me, the social networkng sites are continuously tryng to vilify the mindset of new generation. They are givng precedence to these sites over all other things. Anyone who feels the opposite is coordiately invited to mention there respective views on the topic.

Thanks to my opponent for bringing up this engaging topic.

Social networking is a relatively new fixture in our society, and its rapid rise in popularity, particularly among teenagers, brings up the concern that these social networking sites are a "curse" for the latest generation. I contend that social networking is not as detrimental as Pro makes it out to be. I will argue that social networking is largely a "blessing" for the latest generation of teenagers.

Pro makes the point that social networking sites are "continuously trying to vilify the mindset of new generation" because "they are givng precedence to these sites over all other things". However, the mere fact that a particular activity attracts the attention of a teenager does not necessarily imply that this activity is a corrupting influence. There are many activities that teenagers give much precedence to, but which don't necessarily "vilify" the mindsets of the participants, such as playing sports, playing instruments, completing schoolwork, etc. Moreover, the statement Pro makes seems too general without some supporting evidence.

I recognize that Pro still likely has more critiques of social networking sites, and I look forward to addressing them in following posts. In the meantime, I"ll begin explaining why social networking is a boon for today"s teenagers.

As suggested by its name, social networking allows teenagers to become more connected with one another, in ways that past generations never could. Social networking sites give teenagers a venue to communicate easily, plan out events in a more organized manner, share their experiences, etc. They also allow teenagers to find friends that they otherwise might not have the means to contact. Furthermore, it"s also possible for teenagers to meet new people and make new friends through these sites. Overall, social networking sites are beneficial because they do exactly what they were intended to do: allow teenagers to develop social skills that are necessary for thriving in the real world.

Social networking sites allow for more than just socializing. The improvement in communication resulting from social networking has the effect of "making the world smaller". Teenagers are able to become more informed about current events through social networking sites, and in some cases, they are even able to participate in and influence these events (i.e. by helping to spread awareness of disasters/revolutions). Since (I heavily suspect that) most of today"s teenagers don"t read or watch the news, the increased awareness amongst teenagers from partaking in social networking sites is a notable benefit.

I"ll wrap up my argument for now and see what my opponent has to say. I look forward to reading your response.

First of all, i would like to thank my opponent for expressing his/her valueable thoughs on the issue of concern. I hope to have a mature and heathy debate.
While, con suggest that social networkng sites helps " teenagers to meet new people and make new friends" my major concern is the privicy and security of teenagers. Meeting and communicating with new people which according to con can be beneficial for teenages, can also lead to various dreadful impacts on them. Their privicy is always on stake on social networking sites. While many users feel their personal data is safe on social networking sites because they have set high levels of security settings, research suggests this is not the case.
According to a 2010 Northeastern University and Max Planck Institute for Software Systems study. Many social networking sites regularly make changes that require you to update your settings in order to maintain
your privacy, and frequently it is difficult to discover how enable settings for your appropriate level of privacy.Because of this, many users do not realize how much
private information they are allowing to become public by not re-evaluating settings every time the network makes a change.
Tagging can also serve as an invasion of privacy. When social networking sites have a "tagging" option, unless you disable it, friends or acquaintances may be able to tag you in posts or photographs that reveal sensitive data.
I appreciate con for making a count on the number of advantages which social networking sites provide to teenagers. But, the ill effects of these sites are certainly more and are mentioned below pointwise:

Reduced learning and research capabilities:
Students have started relying more on the information accessible easily on these social networking sites and the web. This reduces their learning and research capabilities.Multitasking Students:
who get involved in activities on social media sites while studying result in reduction in their focus of attention. This causes reduction in their academic performance, and concentration to study well.
Reduction in real human contact:
The more time the students spend on these social media sites, the less time they will spend socializing in person with others. This reduces their communication skills. They will not be able to communicate and socialize effectively in person with others. The employers are getting more and more unsatisfied with the communication skills of the fresh graduates due to this reason. The effective communication skills are key to success in the real world.Reduces command over language use age and creative writing skills
Students mostly use slang words or shortened forms of words on social networking sites:
They start relying on the computer grammar and spelling check features. This reduces their command over the language and their creative writing skills.
Time wastage :
Students, while searching and studying online, get attracted to using social media sites and sometimes they forget why they are using internet. This wastes their time and sometimes students are not able to deliver their work in the specified time frame.Low gradesStudents get low grades in school due to lack of the desired information and writing skills.
Loss of motivation in students:
The student"s motivational level reduces due to the use of these social networking sites. They rely on the virtual environment instead of gaining practical knowledge from the real world.
Effect on health:
The excessive use of these sites affect the mental as well as physical health. Students do not take their meals on time and take proper rest.They take excessive amount of coffee or tea to remain active and focused which effects negatively on their .The overuse of these sites on a daily basis has many negative effects on the physical and mental health of students making them lethargic and unmotivated to create contact with the people in person.
I would like to wrap up my arguments with some suggesions which i think is necessary for parents and peer of the students.
The parents should check and balance on their children when they use the internet. They should be on guard whether they are using it for appropriate time period or not. The peers and teachers should also help students make them aware of the negative effects and explain what they are losing in the real world by sticking to these social networking sites.
Looking forward for the furthur arguments from my opponent.

LimitBender forfeited this round.
Posted by harshi03 3 years ago
Posted by Donjaundebater1212 3 years ago
So if I'm correct, Your taking the side of "social networking sites are bad" correct?