Being proud of our country, Great Britain.

Hello there comrade Stottinator.

I shall be challenging my dear contender to a debate. The topic will be about nationalism. As pro, I am arguing for reasons to be proud of our country and that our country is great, whereas con will be arguing the opposite (though not necessarily against Britain).

Round 1 is acceptance
Round 2 is opening arguments
Round 3 rebuttals/new arguments
Round 4 Conclusions and more (counter)arguments

Good luck!

Just let me open with this: I am not anti-Britain. This is simply a devil's advocate debate.

Let's go!

I am not saying that my opponent is anti-Britain, but I do know that he is not proud of her.

Now allow me to start...
Britain is my country, and she is a great nation. We have the best scientific minds, from Faraday to Newton to Hawking. As a result, many great discoveries such as calculus, gravitation, electromagnetism etc. were made by our nation's greatest minds. Also, it is worth mentioning that many of the world's greatest inventions- TV, internet, lightbulb (Joseph Swan got there before Thomas Edison) were invented by brilliant Britons.

It is not just the great scientific heritage of the British intelligentsia that distinguish her from other nations. British economist Adam Smith for example, came up with many sound economic theories which revolutionised economics-division of labour, supply and demand, market mechanisms etc. Here is a £20 note bearing his profile picture:
Copyright: Governor and Company of the Bank of England 2006

The caption reads: 'the division of labour in pin manufacturing (and the great increase in the quantity of work that results)'. Division of labour is what made British mass production possible and ultimately, the might of the British Empire, which once covered 1/4 of the world's land mass, as well as controlling 40% of the world's manufacturing output (source: H.J. Chang, 23 Things They Didn't Tell You About Capitalism). It was said that 'the sun never sets over the British Empire'.

Also, Britain was among the first country to ban slavery, has one of the strongest trade union and an excellent welfare state. We have the NHS, built upon the socialist principles of our predecessors, caring for the poor. Also we're the home of democracy (and modern capitalism).

I am very proud of this great nation, of her history and her legacy.

I now turn to you, my honoured opponent...

Stottinator forfeited this round.

Extending my argument...

I shall reserve this round for my opponent

Stottinator forfeited this round.

I conclude thus

Stottinator forfeited this round.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
And a gopher is a gopher.
Posted by zommunist 2 years ago
I'm not a big fan of monarchy anyway (I am pro-republic). But the queen is the queen, Britain is Britain
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
Break up the UK. Actually, it's a hard topic for me. The UK is stronger and more beneficial to the international community united, but I also want a divided community of sovereign states (Idiotic queen)
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago