FanboyMctroll
Avoid_Everything

Being single is way better than being married

Avoid_Everything has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

FanboyMctroll

Pro

Being single is way better than being married. I know the media likes to say that married people live longer but I say bull crap.

I will debate anyone and provide examples of why it's better to be single than married

Being single means -

No compromising, no fighting for the remote, always eat what you want, no kids to babysit, save tons of money not buying gifts, valentines, Christmas.

And no drama, just the couch and sports all for me, no romantic comedies

So tell me why being married is better, and I'm sure I can refute it. By the way the divorce rate is at 50% now, so half of you agree with me already, that is why you got divorced right?
Avoid_Everything

Con

It depends on what type of person you are. If you are a person who is always surrounded in friends/family and are attractive, I'm sure being single is spectacular for you.

If you're obese and ugly, and have no other friends/family... then marrying the girl who you've dated for 10 years and is your only friend in the world could be an excellent decision. Being married allows for easier/reduced taxes, shared health insurance benefits, easier to handle administrative tasks over simply dating (such as inheritance, medical authorization, buying a house, etc...) If you're in the military, you receive more money in living allowance for having a family.

Beyond that, having an additional income oftentimes is a good thing. Not to mention that the female's parents will generally approve of your relationship more if you marry their daughter. She will also become sad/depressed a lot of the time if her friends are getting married and you never propose.

There are benefits for some people. It's not for everyone, but as you said, 50% of people never get divorced and of those 50%, I'm sure at least 1% of them are happy their entire marriage and regret nothing. It works for some people.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

If you are marrying someone because you are fat and have no friends I guess would qualify as being better then being single. Being married means you owe half of everything so when the wife divorces you she will take half of everything you owe. If there are kids you will be paying child support, so in essence you will be paying more. Also if one spouse owes money to the government the IRS will come after you for money owing.

Mother and Father in law, good luck with that one!! Don't keep the girlfriend past one year. Studies have shown the "love" spell wears out after a year, then it becomes just putting up with each other. And when she says it's time to get married that's when you get out and find someone else, there are plenty of fish in the sea, you just need confidence. There is more then one person out there for everyone. People don't just settle on one person anymore, and besides most people date many people before settling down. There are a lot of people out there, you do not need to marry and be locked with one person for life. Just like cheaters they get bored with their partner and see others. I'm not saying you need to cheat but you can break it off and see other people. The possibilities are endless

You are right there are people that are happy in marriage, but that is a small percentage of people. Just like in the animal kingdom where only 1% of animals stay monogamous, like sea horses, pigeons and geese, most animals just mate and stay single. Well it's no different with humans, we might be on top of the food chain but with the amount of cheating going on, I believe being single is cheaper, no divorce costs and less stressful, no fighting, nagging, putting up with each other over the years. Why tolerate someone and listen to the same stories for decades when you can have new every year.

Your rebuttal sir
Posted by FanboyMctroll 6 days ago
FanboyMctroll
sure it is, but it's a debate site, so who wants to debate this?
Posted by SupaDudz 6 days ago
SupaDudz
This is a personal preference really.