violetviolin
Tiki.B

Being successful in life is easier with a college education.

violetviolin

violetviolin

Pro

The first round is acceptance. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have abut the resolution/debate in the comments section or by messageing me. I look forward to debateing!
Tiki.B

Con

I accept the resolution.
violetviolin

Pro

College does make success in life more easily achievable.
1.) College makes financial success easier to obtain. Students that graduate from college have tremendously larger average lifetime salaries than students that do not attend or graduate college. You can more than double your income though attending college, and college graduates are more likely to obtain jobs with better benefits, saving them tremendous amounts of money over a life time. College graduates also have more job security and a lower rate of unemployment.

2.) College allows you to experience new things, and expands your point of view, allowing for a life that is based off of more experiences, and is open to many more perspectives. Going to college allows you to have experiences you would not have otherwise, which allows you to feel more fulfilled in life. Self-fulfillment is a large part of success as it leads to happiness in life.

3.) College opens doors and allows you more choice in your future. By obtaining a better education, you also have the opportunity to explore different fields of study and work that you would not be able to explore without a college education. The choice of what path to take in life is a form of success because it makes it easier to be an autonomous individual.

College allows oneself to be more successful in life financially, though self-fulfillment, and through allowing more autonomy and opportunity for happiness.

http://www.finaid.org...

I look forward to hearing my opponents arguments.
Tiki.B

Con

College does not make success in life more easily achievable.

1) Some of the most successful people did not attend college, or did not graduate college.
http://elitedaily.com...

2) College causes a lot of people to go into debt leading to insecure financial standings.
http://projectonstudentdebt.org...

3) With the technological age there are a lot more opportunities outside of a structured college environment to receive exposure to the world, and access opportunities.
http://www.examiner.com...
http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org...
violetviolin

Pro

1. My opponent makes the point that some of the most successful people did not attend college or did not graduate college. He provides a link listing the top 100 people that did not attend/graduate college. the issue with this argument is that this list is restricted to a very narrow career field. Most of the people on this list are either inventors, or founders of companies, with the exception of a designer and a few people who were successful in fields like law before it was legally required to have an education to do this. If someone did not want to go into these fields, it would be very difficult for them to be successful in life. My opponent also fails to mention that these success stories are a very small percentage of those that did not attend college. The majority of people who do not attend college are not this successful in life. There are huge numbers of people that do not attend college in the US alone, and we here very few success stories like this. The resolution also is discussing ease of success, not possibility. just because these people managed to be successful, doesn't mean it was easy. They had to work just as hard or harder to achieve success as someone that had attended college.

2. My opponent argues that college leads to debt ad insecure financial standings. The source that he provides states;
"Seven in 10 college seniors (71%) who graduated last year had student loan debt, with an average of $29,400 per borrower."
The source I provided stated;

"An Associate’s degree is worth $390,000 more than a high school diploma. A Bachelor’s degree is worth $1.2 million more than a high school diploma. A Doctorate (Ph.D.) is worth $1.7 million more than a Bachelor’s degree. A Professional (law or medical) degree is worth $2.9 million more than a Bachelor’s degree."
Any one of these degrees will on average more than pay back the average $29,400 of debt that my opponent says college will give you. Which is more valuable: $29,400 in the present, or up to $2.9 million in a lifetime? Keep into consideration that saving the $29,400 in the present will not help you to earn more over a lifetime.

3. My opponents first source from his third argument talked mainly about how the internship possibilities will help you in college applications and college. Also, the positions that you would intern in, generally require a college education to obtain in real life. This means that if you aren't attending college, this opportunity is of little to no value in the work world. My opponents second link is about cross cultural experiences you can gain n high school. While these are good experiences, and can help to achieve self fulfillment, they in no way can completely replace the college experience. Also, you can do both college and this type of experience, which would lead to even more self fulfillment.

4. My opponent has failed to prove that college does not make financial success more easily obtainable.

5. My opponent has failed to prove that not attending college can allow you to achieve the same level of self fulfillment that attending college can give you. They have attempted to pose alternate solutions, but these could be used along with college to achieve maximum success in self fulfillment.

6. My opponent has failed to prove that you can still have as many opportunities in different career paths if you don't attend college.

My opponent has proven none of my points to be incorrect, and I have proven all of my opponents points to be incorrect. I can extend all of my points.

I look forward to hearing my opponents arguments and thank them for the debate.
Tiki.B

Con

Tiki.B forfeited this round.
violetviolin

Pro

I extend all of my original arguments and following arguments as my opponent has forfeited the round.
Tiki.B

Con

Tiki.B forfeited this round.
Posted by Penchant 2 years ago
Penchant
Two things on the debate:

Both parties failed to define success, thus not showing that the good things they were talking about was success.

The pro side used his opponents lack of a success in arguing as a reason for him being right. That is a logical fallacy, because just because it's poorly argued, doesn't mean the argument is wrong.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
violetviolinTiki.BTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. .. and I suggest reopening this challenge in the hopes of getting a real debatern
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
violetviolinTiki.BTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited.