fana-a
Rational_Thinker9119

Being unwanted is the most terrible of diseases.

fana-a

Pro

I would like to quote Mother Teresa, "We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty." My view on this topic is that being unwanted can lead to many psychological issues, human beings have the need to be accepted by society and to know that they are in this world for a reason. When society fails to make such an acknowledgment to a person they get the feeling that they are unwanted, unloved, and uncared for. It is important for a person to first feel wanted by their family, when a mother or father fails to care for a person the feeling of resentment arouses. In addition, it follows them everyone, they get a certain mindset that no one cares for them, it follows them in schools and the outside world as well. Many problems come along with being unwanted, a person gets lonely, they do not know how to deal with society and they fail to learn to trust others. Being unwanted is the most terrible of diseases, I agree because when you have no one to love or care for you being lonely is the worst disease of all. We all need at least one person as a go to.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Introduction

I thank my opponent for this debate. The burden of proof is on him to show that being unwanted is the most terrible disease. This was attempted in his first round when he outlined the psychological harm that being unwanted can cause, however this is far from enough to justify the claim that being unwanted is the worst disease. I will explain my self by noting some other known diseases below, and then comparing them to the psychological damage in question.

Worse Diseases

Fatal Familial Insomnia (FFI)

Fatal Familial Insomnia is a disease in which you eventually lose the ability to sleep [1]. Experiencing a normal life would be impossible, due to terrific hallucinations that may occur when you are awake for extended periods of time, and the intense pain. Dying this way would be utterly horrific. I would say that any rational human being would rather deal with the psychological downsides of not feeling loved or needed, than deal with this type of insomnia and dying in this manner. Depression is not good for anybody, but there are much more painful and agonizing diseases which would easily be considered "worse". Fatal Familial Insomnia is obviously amongst them.

Panphobia

Panphobia is a mental disease in which one is scared of everything, and believe that bad things will happen to them due to anything or anyone [2]. Living life like this would be much more terrifying than simply not feeling loved, thus I think it is clear that "being unwanted" seems like the mildest of the diseases mentioned so far.

Bubonic plague

This plague is caused by Yersinia pestis, and kills most untreated people who catch it within days [3]. The results of obtaining this disease, far outweigh the downsides of psychological damage due to feeling unwanted.

Not only did my opponent not meet his burden of proof, but I gave brief descriptions of diseased with are self-evidently far worse than they mental harms of not feeling accepted or loved. Thus, the debate seems to be leaning in my favor.

[1] http://shenkitup.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] Bubonic plague
fana-a

Pro

fana-a forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Rational_Thinker9119 forfeited this round.
fana-a

Pro

fana-a forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Posted by HeavyThinker 3 years ago
HeavyThinker
It is difficult to debate apples and oranges, therefore, comparing a feeling of being unwanted to say . . leprosy, is just that. However, if we look at it from the infected's point of view and remove the technical side of things, we might come to a conclusion.

Rational_Thinker is right to point out actual diseases which would have symptoms that would no doubt be worse than feeling unwanted. I mean, loosing the ability to sleep would be rough, just to mention one. However, is feeling unwanted really a disease? No. It isn't. It is a personal feeling and can't be treated or really classified, as most probably keep this feeling to themselves. In the end, it would probably fall in the depression arena.

Furthermore, this all depends on who you ask. A person with a terrible disease would generally have a support system, be it their family or whatever and while their condition is horrific, they have exactly what someone who feels unwanted doesn't. In some cases maybe not, but let's just say they do. So, let's consider a scenario.

Imagine two people. One has leprosy. The other one feels unwanted. Imagine their conversation. I would think it would involve a bunch of "At least you don't have . . ." and "At least you have . . " Do you get my drift here? Someone who is depressed enough, who is at the end of their rope, would probably at least consider switching places with the person who has leprosy. That is an extreme thought. But, speaking from experience, depression is a serious ordeal.

On the other hand, someone who has leprosy would almost assuredly be more than willing to swap their leprosy for the other person's depression, as extreme as it may be. So, looking at the debate like this, I would say the cons have it because a person with leprosy would gladly trade out for depression.