JCtheJetPlane
tejretics

Belief in God is better for society

tejretics

JCtheJetPlane

Pro

If God doesn't exist, then many won't find logical significance for truth and belief in God assures better societal protections and interpersonal relations.
If God does exist, truth has logical significance and belief in God is true, and thus is valuable to society.

(Please do not equate state religion, i.e. Catholic Europe in the middle ages with societal free belief in God.)
tejretics

Con

I accept the debate. As BoP is on Pro, I will wait for him to post an argument in Round 2.
JCtheJetPlane

Pro

JCtheJetPlane forfeited this round.
tejretics

Con

My opponent has not presented his positive case. Nonetheless, I shall construct a negative case detailing why belief in God can be harmful to society.

Negative Case: Belief in God can be harmful to society

To begin my negative case, I must first define religion. Religion is defined as "an organized system of beliefs, rules, and ceremonies used to worship a deity or a group of deities." [1] God is defined as, "the perfect and omnipotent deity that is worshipped as the one who created and rules the universe." As God is a deity, worship of God can involve religion.

Religions divide believers in that religion from outsiders. Rather than assuming good intentions adherents are taught to treat outsiders with distrust.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?"
-- 2 Corinthians 6:14 [2]

"They wish that you should disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them."
-- Sura 4:91 [3]

Both these statements clearly criticize any belief apart from the beliefs advocated and propagated by the religions themselves. These lead to forcible religious conversions and riots. [4] Religion has a major negative impact on socio-political peace. Militant organizations such as ISIL, al-Qaeda, the Army of God et cetera are all based on promotion and propagation of religious ideologies. [5] Former United States Secretary of State Warren Christopher has said that terrorist acts in the name of religion and ethnic identity have become "one of the most important security challenges we face in the wake of the Cold War." [6] Various militant organizations use religious justification to carry out inhumane acts of violence. [7]

As religion has had a huge negative impact on society, so has, indirectly, the belief in God. Thus, belief in God does more harm than good.

References
[1] Merriam-Webster, http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
[2] The Holy Bible, an Exact Reprint Page for Page of the Authorized Version Published in the Year MDCXI. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1833 (Reprint, ISBN-1565631625)
[3] A.J. Arberry, The Koran Interpreted. Simon & Schuster, Touchstone Publishing, 1996. ISBN-978-0684825076. [Original edition: 1955]
[4] http://www.salon.com...
[5] Hoffman, Bruce (Summer 1997). "The Confluence of International and Domestic Trends in Terrorism".Terrorism and Political Violence 9 (2): 1–15.
[6] Juergensmeyer, Mark (2004). Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence. University of California Press.
[7] Arquilla, John; Hoffman, Bruce; Jenkins, Brian Michae; Lesser, Ian O.; Ronfeldt, David; Zanini, Michele, eds. (1999). Countering the New Terrorism. Santa Monica, CA: RAND. ISBN 0-8330-2667-4.
JCtheJetPlane

Pro

JCtheJetPlane forfeited this round.
tejretics

Con

I extend all my arguments from Round 2.
JCtheJetPlane

Pro

JCtheJetPlane forfeited this round.
tejretics

Con

Reasons for Victory
Conduct
Pro forfeited all their arguments, posting
onlyone argument of three lines. This forfeiture results in my better conduct.

I used the only sources in the debate, from analyses of terrorism caused by religion (Bruce Hoffman, Mark Juergensmeyer, John Arquilla, Brian Jenkins, Michele Zanini), the Bible and Quran (Oxford, A.J. Arberry), and the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

S&G
"If God exists, many won't ..." - here, after "many", there is no noun for the numerical/quantitative adjective "many". "If God does exist, truth has logical significance and belief in God is true, and thus is valuable to society." There are two errors - one grammatical: "If God does exist" is not the appropriate subject for the predicate-conclusion "and thus is valuable to society." There are no appropriate subjects in the middle of the sentence either. The comma after "true" is misplaced - there should not be a comma before "and" here, since the purpose of "and" is as a non-punctuator conjunction. The comma should be placed before "thus" and after "thus", as "thus"'s purpose as a determiner is as a conclusion, similar to "therefore". [All the grammar is from http://www.grammarly.com...;] According to Grammarly, I did not make any errors in my arguments. Therefore, the S&G point is to me.

Arguments
I made the only arguments in the debate due to my opponent's forfeiture. Pro did not fulfill their BoP, which I requested them to do in Round 1.

Therefore, I must gain a 7-point victory.

Posted by YoungLeader4216 2 years ago
YoungLeader4216
I am an atheist. I am a straight A student, have never gotten in trouble, I have a lot of friends, and I have many goals for my future. I personally think that if people are religious (and there is nothing wrong with that), they tend to be less open-minded and take things more personally. After all, I think most, if not all, wars have been started because of religion because (if you`ve ever seen The Book of Eli) people tend to use religion as a weapon.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. As I am not going to take the time to read the sources when there is no context on the debate, I can't give sources. S&G is unwarranted, it's for horrible abuse of the English language, not minor slip-ups, or one side 'being better.' Arguments are of course warranted, but a vote on an FF debate could fairly exclude them.
Vote Placed by YamaVonKarma 2 years ago
YamaVonKarma
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: If Con will not defend it's case, I will not award them any points.
Vote Placed by phiLockeraptor 2 years ago
phiLockeraptor
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfieted, con had better sources, better argumentation, and overall diction.
Vote Placed by Skepticalone 2 years ago
Skepticalone
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for forfeit.
Vote Placed by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
JCtheJetPlanetejreticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Made the only valid arguments presented.