Bible
anime-arguments

Belief in God is more reasonable than disbelief.

anime-arguments

Bible

Pro

I will be debating that it is more reasonable to believe in God than not to. Round one is acceptance only. Accept only if you do not believe in God. Thank you.
anime-arguments

Con

Hello. I do not believe in God, so I am accepting the challenge. However, I want to make it clear now that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and this debate is for the purpose of amusement and opinion sharing only. I don't like being attacked based on my beliefs, and I imagine that nobody else does either. With that said, let's have an interesting debate on religion, as long as we both accept that everyone is entitled to their own belief system and no religious fighting should come from this.
Bible

Pro

First of all, the existence of an orderly universe points to a creator. The Bible says: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.” (Hebrews 3:4). To many well-educated minds, this is a powerful logic.

Secondly, we humans have a desire to understand the meaning of life, a hunger that can stay even after we have satisfied our physical needs. This is what the Bible calls our “spiritual need,” which includes the desire to know and worship God. (Matthew 5:3; Revelation 4:11). This spiritual need is not only gives evidence that God exists, but that he is a loving creator and wants us to satisfy this need (Matthew 4:4; 1 John 4:8).

Thirdly, God reveals his power through the accuracy and detail of the predictions of important historical events in the Bible. Here is one example:

[BEGINNING OF QUOTE] Some 200 years later—on the night of October 5/6, 539 B.C.E.—an army encamped near Babylon. Who was its commander? A Persian king named Cyrus. The stage was thus set for the fulfillment of an amazing prophecy. But would the army of Cyrus invade Babylon without a battle, as foretold?

The Babylonians were holding a festival that night and felt secure behind their massive city walls. Meanwhile, Cyrus cleverly diverted the water of the river that flowed through the city. Soon the water was shallow enough for his men to cross the riverbed and approach the walls of the city. But how would Cyrus’ army get past Babylon’s walls? For some reason, on that night the doors to the city were carelessly left open!

Regarding Babylon, it was foretold: “She will never be inhabited, nor will she be a place to reside in throughout all generations. No Arab will pitch his tent there, and no shepherds will rest their flocks there.” (Isaiah 13:20) This prophecy did more than predict a city’s fall. It showed that Babylon would be desolated permanently. You can see evidence of the fulfillment of these words. The uninhabited site of ancient Babylon—about 50 miles (80 km) south of Baghdad, Iraq—is proof that what Jehovah spoke through Isaiah has been fulfilled: “I will sweep her with the broom of annihilation.”—Isaiah 14:22, 23. [END OF QUOTE]

Source: http://www.jw.org...

I will not force anything on you, and I will not have useless debate. You now know why I believe in God and you can do more research and see for yourself there is no good reason to not believe in God. I know you've probably heard many false things about the Bible, but if you care about the truth you can do your own research.

You may also have erronous ideas about God, but understand this: God IS love (1 John 4:8). As imperfect humans, we are not aware of all the facts. What we can be sure of is that God's decisions are never wrong: "So listen to me, you men of understanding. Far be it from God to do evil, from the Almighty to do wrong." (Job 34:10). Why question this with the many times Jehovah has proved these words to be true?

If you want to learn the truth about your creator I recommend you first study how he has revealed himself to us in the Bible: http://www.jw.org...

and then request a Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses and learn the truth about our God who IS love (1 John 4:8): https://www.jw.org...

This debate is over.

anime-arguments

Con

To address my opponent's first point, I would like to say that it is not necessary that God is the one that created the universe. The quote used was "Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God." This states that God created the universe, but does not give proof that it was him. In this same way, I could claim to have made the Eiffel Tower, but if I claimed that, then you would require me to show proof that I'm telling the truth. The same can be said about God. There is no evidence, except scriptures written by religious people, that God created the universe, or anything else.
To address the second point, it is true that humans have a desire to understand the world and the meaning of life. However, we do not require God to satisfy this desire. Many people that don't believe in God find answers through science, and completely satisfy that spiritual need. People always want to learn more, whether it's about other people, other life, or other planets in space. Believing in God does not negate this curiosity, this spiritual need, as evidenced by the fact that many curious, groundbreaking scientists are religious. People can be completely satisfied without worshipping God, proving that that part of our spiritual need, the one where we feel the desire to worship God, is nonexistent.
Third, sometimes people will do things because they believe it's set in stone. The so-called "historical predictions" that God makes in the Bible are fulfilled by people, who likely were under the influence of the Bible themselves. They read the Bible, saw the prediction, and because God supposedly told them to, set out to fulfill it. People saw something they believed to be true, and set out to prove it. If Cyrus' army had never gone to attack, and had simply waited for what the Bible said to happen, then it never would have happened. They took what they thought was true, and acted on it, making it true. This isn't God's prediction, it's people, humans, making their choices based on what the Bible says.
As to not forcing me into beliefs, I am thankful for that. However, I don't want a useless debate either. Just as you say I should research to find why God is real, I urge you to do the opposite. There is no proof that God exists, and the one thing most people say is proof, the Bible, is full of contradictions. If everything the Bible says is true, then it's nonsense because it constantly contradicts itself. You can find numerous websites that show examples of this. Also, if only parts of the Bible are true,then why follow it at all?
While I recognize that many people believe in God, I say that you should look for proof before blindly following a religion that doesn't even agree with itself.
Bible

Pro

Bible forfeited this round.
anime-arguments

Con

In their previous argument, my opponent stated that "This debate is over." I took this to mean that he believed to have made his point, and already to have won. However, starting a debate like this and not responding for the rest of the rounds because of a reason like that is not only arrogant, but it's rude to me as the opponent. That said, I would like to add some arguments to what I've previously said. My opponent said that God is love. I disagree. I do not believe in God, which should exclude me from His "love." However, I still love my family and friends. I still have concept of love past physical attraction, showing that God can't be love, because even non-believers can feel it. Still, if some believe that I would be included in "His love", then I can still prove that it is not true. If God truly loved everyone, and gave everyone love, then people like Hitler should not exist. People filled with hate and nothing else should not exist. Then wars waged for needless reasons would not be waged. If God is love, then he is doing a poor job of adding love to the world.
Bible

Pro

Bible forfeited this round.
anime-arguments

Con

anime-arguments forfeited this round.
Bible

Pro

Bible forfeited this round.
anime-arguments

Con

I have made my position and reasons clear.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
atheism=disbelief=belief=theism
Posted by ChickenBakuba 1 year ago
ChickenBakuba
vi_spex stfu
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Then there must be a reason....
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
atheism is theism
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
reasonable
(G2;riH0;zənəbəl)
adj
1. showing reason or sound judgment 2. having the ability to reason 3. Governed by or being in accordance with reason or sound thinking 4. endowed with reason.

Belief in God, AKA faith.
Faith required that you believe despite an absence of expected evidence or despite the presence of conflicting evidence.
But how do we detect lies?
Through the absence of expected evidence or the presence of conflicting evidence. The very things that faith demanded we disregard. This is not reasonable.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
Bibleanime-argumentsTied