A341
the_streetsurfer

Belief in the word of the bible is incompatible with modern morality

A341

Pro

First round is for acceptance.
Any definitions can be worked out in the comments section.
the_streetsurfer

Con

A341

Pro

The bible condones many practices that are morally abhorrent in today's society, I'm going to list many of them here:

The death penalty is prescribed for:

Not obeying priest's [1],
Being a witch/sorcerer [2] (which leads to literal witch hunts),
Homosexuals [3],
Fortune tellers [4] also adding that "they have no one but themselves to blame for their death.",
Hitting parents [5],
Cursing parents [6],
Adultery [7] also noting that Jesus says that "anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" [8].
Sex before marriage (specifically for the daughter of a priest) [9],
Unbelievers [10] [11] [12] [13],
False prophets [14] also noting that "When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through",
Having someone in your town who doesn't believe in Yahweh [15],
Women who aren't virgins and marry [16],
Blasphemy [17],
The children of sinners [18] [19].

The bible also repeatedly allows slavery [20] [21] and demotes women to a status similar to chattel slavery [22] [23] [24].

Yahweh also constantly calls for and commits genocide [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32].

These are not the actions of a moral god or moral commandments. And before you try to dismiss most of these as the laws of the old testament, Jesus spesifically says (in regards to the law) "I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." [33]

[1] Deuteronomy 17:12
[2] Exodus 22:17
[3] Leviticus 20:13
[4] Leviticus 20:27
[5] Exodus 21:15
[6] Leviticus 20:9
[7] Leviticus 20:10
[8] Matthew 5:28
[9] Leviticus 21:9
[10] Exodus 22:19
[11] Deuteronomy 13:7-12
[12] 2 Chronicles 15:12-13
[13] Deuteronomy 17:2-5
[14] Zechariah 13:3
[15] Deuteronomy 13:13-19
[16] Deuteronomy 22:20-21
[17] Leviticus 24:10-16
[18] Isaiah 14:21
[19] Leviticus 26:21-22
[20] Exodus 21:2-6
[21] Leviticus 25:44-46
[22] Deuteronomy 22:20-21
[23] 1 Corinthians 14:34
[24] timothy 1 12
[25] Exodus 12:29-30
[26] Ezekiel 9:5-7
[27] Jeremiah 51:20-26
[28] Exodus 23:23
[29] Joshua 8:1-29
[30] Joshua 6:20-21
[31] Judges 20:48
[32] 1 Samuel 15:2-3
[33] Matthew 5:17
the_streetsurfer

Con

Hello!

Let"s start with some basic definitions: (All from MerriamWebster.com)

Modern: of or relating to the present time or the recent past : happening, existing, or developing at a time near the present time.

Morality: beliefs about what is right behavior and what is wrong behavior.

Incompatible: not able to be used together.

So, combining the definitions, modern morality can be defined as "Beliefs about what is right and what is wrong of or relating to the present time".

Now, I will re - write the resolution with correct definitions to make it clearer:

"Belief in the word of the Bible is not able to be used with beliefs about what is right and what is wrong of or relating to the present time"

Every argument has a resolution for the affirmative (pro) and a counter resolution for the negative (con).

As negative (or con), I have to prove the resolution false and make a counter resolution for myself. Here"s my counter resolution to prove my opponent wrong:

"Belief in the word of the Bible IS able to be used with beliefs about what is right and what is wrong of or relating to the present time"

Here is my support to prove my counter resolution true:

The Ten Commandments

Even if someone"s an atheist, most of the Ten Commandments can apply to them.

-Honor your father and mother
-You shall not murder
-You shall commit adultery
-You shall not steal
-You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor
-You shall not covet

All of the above are compatible with today"s modern morality. I have proven my counter resolution true and my opponents resolution false.

Now, I could stop here but I will continue and respond to my opponents case.

First, sorry to get all technical on you. I just wanted to make sure that we are both on the same page.

I have to say that I"m impressed with your knowledge of the Bible. Most people just make claims without citations but you provided proof for each of your arguments. Respect.

First off, there"s a difference between God"s law and the laws of Moses and others in the Bible. Many of the verses you provided came from people in the old testament. Those people made the laws, not necessarily God. Why did they do this? Back then, there were few books except for the Bible. These laws were included in the Bible so that the many tribes could keep track of laws wherever they were. So, these laws aren"t necessarily directed to you and me, they were directed at the people of the old testament.

Now, to address the death penalty point. Yes, the laws of the old testament were harsh. But there are several reasons as to why they are so harsh. First, back then it was much easier to do bad things. Think about robbing a house today. A thief would have to watch out for security cameras, alarms, dogs, guns" in the old testament, robbery would be fairly easy because of the lack of technology. A simple way to discourage bad things would be to raise the penalty to death. That way people would think twice of doing those things. Also, the world was crazy at this point in time. Child sacrifice and other terrible things were happening and God and the old testament authors didn"t want their people to start doing these things. Moreover, jail was fairly uncommon. Again, most people in the O.T. traveled in caravans and were unable to put criminals into jail. Death was an easier option Again, these laws were the laws of Moses designed to keep the Israelites in order. They are not directed at you and me.

You mentioned that the Bible allows slavery. Slavery in those days was very different than people think. The most recent slavery usually was inducted onto people of the same race, I.E. African Americans in the 1800s. The Bible definitely does not condone racial slavery. In the O.T., the Israelites (God"s people) were enslaved by the Egyptians simply because they were from Israel. This was racial slavery. How did God feel about this? Read about the Egyptian plagues that God used on the land of Egypt. Safe to say, God an the Bible does not condone racial slavery.

Also, the Bible does not allow or condone man - stealing slavery. During American slavery, people would go to Africa and steal men and women to be sold into slavery. The Bible has laws to prevent this. Exodus 21:16: ""Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper"s possession.". Slavery in Biblical times was very different than today. The O.T. world was very difficult to live in. A slave could at least get free meals and living quarters. That is why many people chose to be slaves instead of try to survive on their own. Many also were slaves because their country had been defeated or their debt wasn"t paid.

You and I both know that women haven"t had equal rights forever and that gender equality is a relatively new and great thing. Of course the Bible says things about gender inequality. It was written thousands of years ago! Even the first American inhabitants thought this way about women's rights!

Genocide is something born out of hate. When the Israelites attacked Canaan, they weren"t committing genocide. Saying this would be like saying Americans committed genocide in WW2. Canaanites were actually very evil people. They constantly sacrificed children and were deeply involved with incest and murder.

The Bible was written thousands of years ago. Undeniably, laws change. Less than 200 years ago, the U.S. was full of slaves. Laws change. You and I both know this. So why are you so hard on the Bible? It"s an old book filled with some old and outdated laws. However, there are still many laws in the Bible that are pure and worth learning about. That"s why I"m a Christian: I can see through the shrouds of doubt and realize that the Bible is a book worth dying for. Like I showed you at the beginning, the Bible says not to steal, murder, commit adultery, etc" The Bible is still compatible with today"s morality.

Thanks and I look forward to your response!
A341

Pro

Thank you for your response.

"The Ten Commandments

-Honor your father and mother
-You shall not murder
-You shall commit adultery
-You shall not steal
-You shall not covet"

Of course you can find some laws in the bible which back up our twenty first century morality. Most of these are of course useful, however even with these there are problems for instance you only mention six of the commandments this is because the others are not applicable to modern society, either legally of ethically.

In the ten commandments there is the commandment to not covert. The definition of covet I have is "yearn to possess (something, especially something belonging to another).". This is the foundation of capitalism is the want to possess that which you do not currently own, this is the most basil form of wealth creation. So the ten commandments may not be incompatible with modern morality but they most certainly incompatible with capitalistic economics and the strive for an increased standard of living.

Notice here in the ten most important commandments there are no commandments against child abuse, genocide, rape or slavery. The four commandments you choose to omit are "Thou shalt have no other gods before me.", "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.", "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;" and "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.". Do you not think that those commandments would do well to be replaced by commandments against child abuse, genocide, rape and slavery? I would guess the reason that there is no commandment against child abuse, genocide, rape or slavery is because they are all explicitly sanctioned by Yahweh [1] [2] [3] [4]

"First off, there"s a difference between God"s law and the laws of Moses and others in the Bible. Many of the verses you provided came from people in the old testament. Those people made the laws, not necessarily God. Why did they do this? Back then, there were few books except for the Bible. These laws were included in the Bible so that the many tribes could keep track of laws wherever they were. So, these laws aren"t necessarily directed to you and me, they were directed at the people of the old testament.

Now, to address the death penalty point. Yes, the laws of the old testament were harsh. But there are several reasons as to why they are so harsh. First, back then it was much easier to do bad things. Think about robbing a house today. A thief would have to watch out for security cameras, alarms, dogs, guns" in the old testament, robbery would be fairly easy because of the lack of technology. A simple way to discourage bad things would be to raise the penalty to death. That way people would think twice of doing those things. Also, the world was crazy at this point in time. Child sacrifice and other terrible things were happening and God and the old testament authors didn"t want their people to start doing these things. Moreover, jail was fairly uncommon. Again, most people in the O.T. traveled in caravans and were unable to put criminals into jail. Death was an easier option Again, these laws were the laws of Moses designed to keep the Israelites in order. They are not directed at you and me."

I'm willing to accept more or less all of this. My problem with the death penalty is the crimes that it is prescribed for, actions we would not consider crimes or even immoral at all for instance homosexuals [5] and unbelievers [6], while you can dismiss the killing of homosexuals as written by men (specifically straight men) but Exodus 22:19 was dictated to Moses in the same conversation that Yahweh passed the decalogue down to him.

The punishment of unbelievers is not moral and I think you accept that, at the very least you haven't threatened to kill me yet.

"You mentioned that the Bible allows slavery. Slavery in those days was very different than people think. The most recent slavery usually was inducted onto people of the same race, I.E. African Americans in the 1800s. The Bible definitely does not condone racial slavery. In the O.T., the Israelites (God"s people) were enslaved by the Egyptians simply because they were from Israel. This was racial slavery. How did God feel about this? Read about the Egyptian plagues that God used on the land of Egypt. Safe to say, God an the Bible does not condone racial slavery."

First I have a question for you, is indentured servitude ever justified? The bible allows indentured servitude for Israelites [7] (though as this is the bible of course there are almost no restrictions on the enslavement of women [8] and Exodus 21:7-11 puts women in a position of slavery not indentured servitude, the bible also allows for virtual sex slavery in the same verses).

In regards to slaves the bible says "you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners" [9], this is descriptive of the worst kinds of slavery in history. These slaves are also degraded to the status of property "the slave is his own property" [10], this idea that slaves are to property of their owners came directly from the mouth of god, again in the same conversation as the ten commandments.

"Genocide is something born out of hate. When the Israelites attacked Canaan, they weren"t committing genocide. Saying this would be like saying Americans committed genocide in WW2. Canaanites were actually very evil people. They constantly sacrificed children and were deeply involved with incest and murder."

There is a significant difference between american actions in WW2 and the Israelite actions in Canaan and that is: The Americans didn't wipe out entire cities or purposely kill children, the Israelites did this when they attacked Canaan "you must destroy them totally" [11]. Even if you think you can somehow justify the slaughter of the Canaanites there are so many other verses in the bible which call for genocide "you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock" [12], "Not a single person survived or escaped." [13], "They completely destroyed everything in it " men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, donkeys " everything" [14] "putting to the sword the inhabitants of the city, the livestock, and all they chanced upon." [15], "one hundred and eighty five thousand" [16], "Phinehas thrust the spear all the way through the man's body and into the woman's stomach." (isn't this abortion) [17], " whose people were peaceful and secure. They attacked and killed all the people and burned the town to the ground." [18], "Completely destroy all the males and every woman who is not a virgin." (from the mouth of Yahweh) [19], "Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves." [20], "the city shall be taken, houses plundered" [21].

I could go on but I think you get the point.

"So why are you so hard on the Bible? It"s an old book filled with some old and outdated laws. However, there are still many laws in the Bible that are pure and worth learning about. That"s why I"m a Christian: I can see through the shrouds of doubt and realize that the Bible is a book worth dying for. Like I showed you at the beginning, the Bible says not to steal, murder, commit adultery, etc" The Bible is still compatible with today"s morality."

The idea of this debate wasn't to show that Christians are immoral, the idea was to show that the scripture you follow has commandments you cannot follow precisely because you are moral. I know there are very good bits in the bible for instance Exodus 23:1-2 is far before its time in moral standing however the majority of the biblical commandments, especially but not exclusively in the old testament. I see belief in the word of the bible as incompatible with modern morality.

[1] Hosea 9:11-16 (child abuse)
[2] Joshua 6:20-21 (genocide)
[3] Judges 19 23-30 (rape)
[4] Leviticus 25:44-46 (slavery)
[5] Leviticus 20:13
[6] Exodus 22:19
[7] Exodus 21:2-6
[8] Exodus 21:7-11
[9] Leviticus 25:44-46
[10] Exodus 21:20-21
[11] Deuteronomy 7:1-2
[12] Deuteronomy 13:13-19
[13] Joshua 8:1-29
[14] Joshua 6:20-21
[15] Judges 20:48
[16] 2 Kings 19:35
[17] Numbers 25:1-9
[18] Judges 18:27-29 (approved by Yahweh in Judges 18:6)
[19] Judges 21:10-24
[20] Numbers 31:7-18
[21] Zechariah 14:1-2 (this one is contestable)
the_streetsurfer

Con

King James version: "You shall not covet your neighbors house; you shall not covet your neighbors wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbors."

In my case I talked about some of the ten commandments and shortened them to save characters. Here is the full commandment for "do not covet". ^^^^ This verse is talking about wanting something that doesn't belong to you, I.E. your neighbors wife. Capitalism is trying to get something that you don't have rather than taking something that doesn't rightfully belong to you.

"Notice here in the ten most important commandments there are no commandments against child abuse, genocide, rape or slavery. The four commandments you choose to omit are "Thou shalt have no other gods before me.", "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.", "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;" and "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.". Do you not think that those commandments would do well to be replaced by commandments against child abuse, genocide, rape and slavery?"

First, how many commandments do you want?! Does the Bible have to lay out everything that you must and must not do? If so, the book would be 1000s of pages longer.

"I would guess the reason that there is no commandment against child abuse, genocide, rape or slavery is because they are all explicitly sanctioned by Yahweh [1] [2] [3] [4]"

Explicitly sanctioned means that someone undoubtedly said to allow something. Here is a response to each of the verses in which the Bible "explicitly sanctioned" things:

Hosea 9: God did not condone or sanction child abuse. God is just. He told these people to do something and they didn"t. They payed the price. Again, God did not want to kill, but he carried out his promise justly, unlike the U.S. government today"

Joshua 6: You"re saying that because a tribe attacked a city its genocide? I"m sorry, but that"s ridiculous. In that time, tribes attacked each other constantly. It"s called war. Israel was simply trying to retake their own land as all tribes did a that time.

Judges 19: The bible shows an instance of rape - does that mean that the bible explicitly sanctions it? No. Also, this is the verse right before the story of rape:

"As they were enjoying themselves, suddenly certain men of the city, perverted men,[a] surrounded the house and beat on the door." - Judges 19:22.

Perverted men. These weren"t Christians. God didn"t sanction this. Perverted men and sin carried out this act. Please check your sources and don"t take the Bible out of context.

Leviticus 25: You said that the Bible allows slavery. Here is Leviticus 25:39-43. These are the verses right before yours.

The Law Concerning Slavery
39""And if one of your brethren who dwells by you becomes poor, and sells himself to you, you shall not compel him to serve as a slave. 40"As a hired servant and a sojourner he shall be with you, and shall serve you until the Year of Jubilee. 41"And then he shall depart from you"he and his children with him"and shall return to his own family. He shall return to the possession of his fathers. 42"For they are My servants, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt; they shall not be sold as slaves. 43"You shall not rule over him with rigor, but you shall fear your God.

This doesn"t look like God is sanctioning slavery to me" Again, please stop taking the Bible out of context!

You did agree with what I said about most of the death penalty. The laws and rules have changed. Again, those laws were mainly for the Israelites, not for you and me. That"s why it"s called Mosaic law and not modern law.

I do consider the laws to kill unbelievers and homosexuals immoral. That"s because they are ancient laws and not created for the present time. You need to understand this. The U.S. laws back in the 1800s weren"t moral either. So why can you let those laws go but not the Bible"s old laws?

Now back to slavery. I showed you clear verses that showed how fair and loving god was to slaves.

Still, old law is a valid argument. At that time, slavery was happening all over the world and continues to appear in several cases today. We both know that it"s bad thing, but all societies have done it, including ours. Why should you be so hard on the Israelites and not everyone else? The Bible is an old text with old laws. You need to understand that morality has changed and the Bible hasn"t. There will be outdated things and people need to accept that.

I"m a Christian and I don"t practice slavery, nor does any Christian I know. We know that the verses relating to slavery are no longer relevant. to us in this day and age. Plus, God never exclusively commands us to own slaves - he just gave us verses on how to treat them if we had them.

Please read this - It"s basically my next argument expanded.
http://cbshouston.edu...

Finally, the mosaic law of the old testament was meant to be kept by the people until Christ came and rose again. Once Christ came, salvation was the only way to get to heaven. The mosaic law was terminated as soon as the Vail was torn. Again, please read above to understand fully. If you have questions, feel free to comment.
(I have two broken fingers in my right hand so there will be some typos" please understand:)
A341

Pro

"First, how many commandments do you want?! Does the Bible have to lay out everything that you must and must not do? If so, the book would be 1000s of pages longer."

No just wondering about priorities.

"Joshua 6: You"re saying that because a tribe attacked a city its genocide? I"m sorry, but that"s ridiculous. In that time, tribes attacked each other constantly. It"s called war. Israel was simply trying to retake their own land as all tribes did a that time."

'm sorry but "And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and (debate.org will not allow me to use the word used to describe a donkey here and will not let me post the argument unless I remove it), with the edge of the sword." is not simply war it is genocide (the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.). In war the goal should be to win the war to to exterminate the other tribe entirely (even including children and animals) is not simply retribution and if you really think that that's justified what about the bosnian genocide? They were at war, was it moral for Ratko Mladic to kill tens of thousands simply because of a war? In fact I can go further what is instead of swords the Israelites used gas chambers? Why would that be any different?

"Judges 19: The bible shows an instance of rape - does that mean that the bible explicitly sanctions it? No. Also, this is the verse right before the story of rape:

Perverted men. These weren"t Christians. God didn"t sanction this. Perverted men and sin carried out this act. Please check your sources and don"t take the Bible out of context."

Ok another clearer example is that of lot [1] while lot doesn't do the raping lot offers up his daughters to be raped to protect the angels.

"Leviticus 25: You said that the Bible allows slavery. Here is Leviticus 25:39-43. These are the verses right before yours.

The Law Concerning Slavery

This doesn"t look like God is sanctioning slavery to me" Again, please stop taking the Bible out of context!"

This is the exact verse I was quoting from Leviticus 25:44-46 (this is the NIV if that makes any difference) "44 ""Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.". "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves." this is an endorsement of the worst kinds of slavery.

"You did agree with what I said about most of the death penalty. The laws and rules have changed. Again, those laws were mainly for the Israelites, not for you and me. That"s why it"s called Mosaic law and not modern law.

I do consider the laws to kill unbelievers and homosexuals immoral. That"s because they are ancient laws and not created for the present time. You need to understand this. The U.S. laws back in the 1800s weren"t moral either. So why can you let those laws go but not the Bible"s old laws?"

Well I don't see why it would ever be moral to kill an unbeliever (though to be fair I'm quite biased in this regard).

"Now back to slavery. I showed you clear verses that showed how fair and loving god was to slaves."

"The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."" [2] and that's directly from Jesus.

"Still, old law is a valid argument. At that time, slavery was happening all over the world and continues to appear in several cases today. We both know that it"s bad thing, but all societies have done it, including ours. Why should you be so hard on the Israelites and not everyone else? The Bible is an old text with old laws. You need to understand that morality has changed and the Bible hasn"t. There will be outdated things and people need to accept that."

Look I am explicitly targeting the bible because people still believe it that is why the debate was titled "Belief in the word of the bible is incompatible with modern morality" it is directed at those who believe the word of the bible.

Also lets look a the story of Noah's flood. God sees people doing something she doesn't like [3]. God has a vision for the world where they are no longer doing those things she doesn't like [4]. God has a solution (a final solution) where those people are destroyed [5]. Now tell me the difference between Yahweh's flood and Hitlers holocaust.

You also weren't able to put up any rebuttal to the genocide I mentioned at the end of my last argument ("There is a significant difference between american actions in WW2 and the Israelite actions in Canaan and that is: The Americans didn't wipe out entire cities or purposely kill children, the Israelites did this when they attacked Canaan "you must destroy them totally" [11]. Even if you think you can somehow justify the slaughter of the Canaanites there are so many other verses in the bible which call for genocide "you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock" [12], "Not a single person survived or escaped." [13], "They completely destroyed everything in it " men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, donkeys " everything" [14] "putting to the sword the inhabitants of the city, the livestock, and all they chanced upon." [15], "one hundred and eighty five thousand" [16], "Phinehas thrust the spear all the way through the man's body and into the woman's stomach." (isn't this abortion) [17], " whose people were peaceful and secure. They attacked and killed all the people and burned the town to the ground." [18], "Completely destroy all the males and every woman who is not a virgin." (from the mouth of Yahweh) [19], "Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves." [20], "the city shall be taken, houses plundered" [21].") I'm not going to re-do the sources they are in my previous argument.

"Finally, the mosaic law of the old testament was meant to be kept by the people until Christ came and rose again. Once Christ came, salvation was the only way to get to heaven. The mosaic law was terminated as soon as the Vail was torn."

Matthew 5:17: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Deuteronomy 4:2: "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you."

[1] Genesis 19:8
[2] Luke 12:47-48
[3] Genesis 6:5
[4] Genesis 6:6
[5] Genesis 6:7
the_streetsurfer

Con

the_streetsurfer forfeited this round.
A341

Pro

Take my last argument as my closing statement.
the_streetsurfer

Con

I'm sorry about the accidental forfeit... In fairness to you will not make any new arguments. Instead, I will just repeat my previous ones.

1. Mosaic law: Most of the verses provided were mosaic law. Those laws were meant for people before Christ. To further clarify you can google it.

2. In my very first speech, I explained how the bible is compatible with modern morality. I proved that the Bible can in fact be compatible with todays beliefs. Here is that argument:

"Let"s start with some basic definitions: (All from MerriamWebster.com)

The Ten Commandments

-Honor your father and mother
-You shall not murder
-You shall commit adultery
-You shall not steal
-You shall not covet

All of the above are compatible with today"s modern morality. I have proven my counter resolution true and my opponents resolution false."

In that point I have shown how I have proven the revolution true. My opponent did not directly respond to this.

Thanks for a great debate!
Posted by the_streetsurfer 3 years ago
the_streetsurfer
Hello!

i apologize for the forfeit. I went on a camping trip and was without internet connection. I was planning on finishing my arguments the day before but there was a bug on the website... Something about vb<x>script... I apologize and I am truly sorry for this issue.

I won't make any new arguments in fairness to my opponent.