SamanthaLynn
Jerry947

Believe in the Bible?

Jerry947

SamanthaLynn

Con

Let me start off by saying that no, i don't believe in god. Or religion. And I don't want this to be an official debate with different sections. I'm going to make points and see what happens. I don't understand why people believe anything written in a book 1-3 thousand years ago. There isn't even an official author.The bible could have been written by little kids with great imaginations and we'd never know. Talking animals? Coming back from the dead? How. This never happens in modern day. Also people tend to thank this god for everything. A surgery goes well, "thank god" no. Thanks the surgery that went through years and years of school and preformed the surgery.
Jerry947

Pro

Hello,

Thanks for creating this debate. I am looking forward to what happens. I am a devout Christian who believes in the Bible and I have some good reasons for why someone should believe in the bible. I will be using some William Lane Craig arguments.

First I would like to make it clear that I am arguing for why someone should believe in the Bible. My first reason for why someone should believe in the Bible is because it is historically credible. How do we know this?

1. The Bible presents incidents that fit with known historical facts of the time and places.
2. Bible events are mentioned in other early sources.
3. Embarrassment...the bible includes everything about Christianity...not just things that make it look good

To be continued.
SamanthaLynn

Con

1. As it may have incidents that are historically correct, it could still just be someone creative writing a realistic non-fiction using real life events to make it more realistic.

3. The bible does include everything but why do you believe everything that is said?

How does someone have so much faith in a god that hasn't shown itself (supposedly) in thousands of years? Why so much faith that Jesus will come back and save us when the world ends. People keep saying "he'll come back someday". When? We could say that sentence forever and it could never happen. Also, bringing in science, there is scientific reason to believe that evolution is the reason we are what we are.

Sadly, I'm out of characters but we have another round my friend.
Jerry947

Pro

1. The people that wrote the Gospels (for example) have been confirmed by some scholars of that time period. They are eye witness accounts and the reader can feel the authors passion for Jesus. On top of that, if it were just creative writing, the authors would have not included the embarrassing moments. They wouldn't have made Jesus die butt naked on a cross. That was a humiliating event for the Christians. Also, keep in mind that the Bible is not one work. The Bible was written by over forty people. The writings of these people were eventually complied into one single work later on.
2. Because it was written by people who knew Jesus and by people who lived during that time period.
3. Jesus' return is not the topic. Wish I had more letters
SamanthaLynn

Con

SamanthaLynn forfeited this round.
Jerry947

Pro

My opponent has forfeited so I do not have anything else to say.
Posted by Dowitch 1 year ago
Dowitch
The Bible is a sham!! If for some reason you don't believe me check out "EvilBible.Com". This site refers to the many bible contradictions, errors, pro rape, pro murder, pro slavery. Out of the countless versions of the bible we still don't know who wrote the gospels. We have found that changes have been made to the bible over time and many additions as well. Please someone say that I'm wrong on this account. I can and will prove the the Bible is not to be taken seriously. I refer to Bart Ehrman, a textual critic of the bible, an expert.
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
If you know the Bible you will know Leviticus is a book meaning "referring to Levites" Is it a bad thing to discipline your child anyway? I'm proud to say my parents raise me well. The negative attention I received when I did something wrong molded me to be better and obey my parents. For that is one of the commandments. And the wages of sin is death so surely he or she will die and God will judge them for what they did. Also blood may refer to family his blood may be apon him. Also the verse referring to Noahs time. There were less people in those days. All of them did evil in the sight of the Lord besides Noah. So he culled them because of his love for them he gave them the choice to go in the ark but they lacked the faith. Surely if God was so evil he wouldn't allow them to choose.
Posted by Dr.TurkeyBaster 1 year ago
Dr.TurkeyBaster
missmedic, please explain to me that if God isn't real, how does a TERMINAL, meaning fatal and uncurable, brain tumor, heal after the baby who had it was kissed by Pope Francis.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
"What I don't understand is why it matters what other people believe."
Beliefs and faiths represent a type of mental activity that produces an unnecessary and dangerous false sense of trust and wrongful information (thinking coupled with the feeling of 'truth'). Faith rarely agrees with the world around us. History has shown that beliefs and faith, of the most intransigent kind, have served as the trigger for tragic violence and destruction and sustained the ignorance of people. Replacing beliefs with predictive thoughts based on experience and evidence provide a means to eliminate intransigence and dangerous superstitious thought.
Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts. It does not matter how many people believe or for how many centuries they have believed it. It does not matter how reverent or important people think of them, if it does not agree with evidence, then it simply cannot have any validity to the outside world. All things we know about the world, we can express without referring to a belief. Even at its most benign level, beliefs can act as barriers to further understanding.
Oh and the bible read from is the king James. One more thing ask your self this, does rational thinking require the adherence to beliefs at all?
Posted by Jerry947 1 year ago
Jerry947
Those verses are in the Bible. They are just taken out of context and not fully understood by the person quoting them.
Posted by Dr.TurkeyBaster 1 year ago
Dr.TurkeyBaster
Well missmedic, you clearly weren't a very well educated Christian, because NONE of those versus are in any bible I've ever seen. Those are all false versus created by militant athiests, who know little to nothing about the bible. What I don't understand is why it matters what other people believe. Some people believe in God, get over it and don't criticize something you know nothing about.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
I used to be a Christian and I still read the bible. And it say ;
Proverbs 13:24
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Proverbs 23:13
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Leviticus 20:9
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
Genesis 6:7
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Posted by Dr.TurkeyBaster 1 year ago
Dr.TurkeyBaster
missmedic, you clearly don't know much about the bible if you think it says any of that. I am a Christian, I know the bible. The bible DOES NOT say any of what you're saying it does. Maybe educate yourself before spewing misinformation.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
The bible asks you to beat your child with a rod if you truly love them , however if they talk back kill them, all this from a father that drowned all his children.
Posted by Dr.TurkeyBaster 1 year ago
Dr.TurkeyBaster
how do you explain an infant with a terminal brain tumor being healed after being kissed by Pope Francis?
Vote Placed by tstor 1 year ago
tstor
SamanthaLynnJerry947Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Con.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
SamanthaLynnJerry947Tied