Eurylious604
Benshapiro

Believing in a God you cannot prove to be real

Benshapiro

Eurylious604

Con

My problem lies in the rationale of keeping with a belief of a God that occupies a space and/or time that cannot be perceived by humans, and thus I believe cannot be proven or disproven. The way I see it, "God" is simply an arbitrary grouping of several extra-terrestrial qualities that have never been directly experienced (eternal, omnipotent, omniscient), put together in a single definition of an entity which also has not been directly experienced.

I believe keeping such a belief to be at the very least time-wasting, and illogical. It seems to me that religion is an unnecessary middle step between our own moralities and real-life action REGARDLESS of whether or not God actually exists, and actually perpetuates more negativity than positivity in the world.

I want someone to rationally explain their side of the story as to why God (or religion - I'm keeping this topic open) is necessary, or even just preferable to the world without one, because I do not see it being the case at all, and also argue any of my other points as you see fit. No rules at this time, but rationality and openmindedness are always highly appreciated!
Benshapiro

Pro

I will present a case as to why belief in a God is rational even though a spirit being can't be shown through any physical means of experimentation. The topic is "believing in a God you cannot prove to be real", therefore, as pro, if I have a rational reason to show why I believe in God, whether or not God actually exists, I should win the debate. Burden of proof is on me. "God" meaning an intelligent designer of the universe and limited to any particular religious denomination.

Back to you , con.
Eurylious604

Con

Eurylious604 forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

It looks like my opponent left and isn't coming back... I don't want to waste my time debating myself but I'll present a good argument for him to refute if he decides to come back.

The Kalam Cosmological argument:

1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore the universe had a cause.

The Big Bang is the most widely accepted theory of how life began. Astronomers have noted that the universe is expanding and calculated the rate of expansion back to a "zero-point" in which all energy, matter, space, and time were created from (the origin point of the Big Bang). Therefore, the cause of the universe was timeless, spaceless, immaterial, and inconceivably powerful. One such being for this cause would be God.
Eurylious604

Con

Eurylious604 forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

Extend arguments
Eurylious604

Con

Eurylious604 forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

Extend arguments
Eurylious604

Con

Eurylious604 forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

My opponent forfeits
Posted by Chris_Likes_Freedom 3 years ago
Chris_Likes_Freedom
I don't think faith is supposed to be blind, nor do I think it can be easily explained and seen as rational. My faith is based on experiences, not talking to an imaginary friend with my eyes closed. Things I've seen and done that were real. I know my God is real but hardly anybody would take that last statement seriously.
Posted by franklinperdomo 3 years ago
franklinperdomo
Evil exists because God didn't want to be a tyrant and treat us like puppets and make us do everything he wants us to do! So he wanted to be fair and let us choose (or Adam and Eve from Genesis) to choose from good and evil! He let us know what is good and evil so it's our choice if we do sin!
Posted by Hmmmm 3 years ago
Hmmmm
Then explain why evil exists?
Posted by franklinperdomo 3 years ago
franklinperdomo
God is real even if you say no one can prove it. Well how else would the world have been made and every beautiful creation, how do you explain that?
Vote Placed by Sswdwm 3 years ago
Sswdwm
Eurylious604BenshapiroTied
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Eurylious604BenshapiroTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit