queencoop
Scots_167

Bernie Sander's $15 a hour proposal would do more harm than good.

queencoop

queencoop

Pro

It's pretty strait up. I will argue against the politician's (Bernie Sanders) raising minimum wage raise.

Topic- Bernie Sanders wants to raise minimum wage to $15 per hour.

Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2- Debate
Round 3- Conclusion
Scots_167

Con

Bernie Sanders $15 an Hour Plan - Will Cause More Good then Harm!

I'm glad to accept this challenge and prove while Bernie Sanders plan, does more good than harm.
queencoop

Pro

Though it is a good idea, I do not think this could work. My reasoning being: as soon as minimum wage increases, everything else will increase also. Ultimately the value of money would decrease, as all other prices increase. "In 2014, fast-food workers in the United States were asking for a minimum wage of $15 an hour, or almost double what they were earning. Had their demand been granted, a typical burger flipper or order taker at McDonald"s would have ended up earning more than $30,000 per annul. Suffice it to say, raising the minimum wage to an excessively high rate would exert inflationary pressure on the economy, but increasing it to keep pace with inflation would only have a minimal effect."

Also commonly unconsidered, is the increase it will cause in unemployment:

"There"s our cut off point. 45 to 50% of the average wage: go above that level and we"re harming low paid workers (by making them no longer workers) not helping them. And the median hourly wage for the US is $16.71. The proposal for a $15 an hour minimum wage will make the minimum wage 90% of the median hourly wage: at which point we know very well that we"ll be harming low income workers, not aiding them."

This being because:

"In the brand new video below, he points out that minimum wage hikes may sound good in on their face, but in reality they result in job loss because they increase the cost of labor, making low-skilled employees more expensive for employers to hire."

It is also unnecessary because:

"In the brand new video below, he points out that minimum wage hikes may sound good in on their face, but in reality they result in job loss because they increase the cost of labor, making low-skilled employees more expensive for employers to hire"

A few citizens who oppose the rise of minimum wage were asked to explain their beliefs. Shawn Patrick Sweep a 17-year- old who is unemployed to focus on academics says, "If you want to make money so badly, go out and do something about it. There're people out there with college degrees who barely make $15 an hour, so why should a job that doesn't even require a diploma make that much? The reason capitalism works so well is because there actually is social and economical mobility [sic], which this minimum wage increase obliterates. Not everybody is equal on the economic spectrum, we all have equal opportunities, but not everyone is equal. And until that thought gets through everyone's mind we will constantly be fighting over who gets what."

34-year-old Marcel Porter offers a more practical reasoning. "Don"t get me wrong, if the cost of living rises, so should minimum wage. Most business raise their prices, but not the employees pay. Right now my wife earns minimum wage working as a hallway monitor for my son's elementary school. I love her to death, but even she knows $15 an hour for that job is just too much. I think minimum wage should be in the $10-11 range and it should depend on what industry you're in."

These businesses also do not have as much as one would think. Here is the effect $15 an hour would have on Wal-Mart:

"$15 an hour would be an increase of $7 per hour. $7 multiplied by 30 hours per week, multiplied by 52 weeks a year, multiplied by 1 million workers is $10.92 billion, well over half Wal-Mart"s profit."

In conclusion raising the minimum wage would increase other prices, create more unemployment, harm small businesses, and some large ones as well.

Thank you for this opportunity. I look forward to this debate.
Scots_167

Con

Scots_167 forfeited this round.
queencoop

Pro

I stand by my argument in the previous round
Scots_167

Con

Scots_167 forfeited this round.
Posted by Verax1996 10 months ago
Verax1996
This question should pose a unique take on the situation. Hopefully the rebuttals and comments can have factual evidence to back up any claims.
Posted by Emmarie 10 months ago
Emmarie
I can't wait to read the pros and cons of this debate.
Posted by ViceRegent 10 months ago
ViceRegent
What good would it do?????
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 10 months ago
dsjpk5
queencoopScots_167Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.