MattAllen
Daucremann

Bernie Sanders For President 2016

MattAllen

Pro

I would like to begin by saying that I am excited to debate about the pros and cons of a Bernie Sanders Presidency with my opponent. I believe that I have many good arguments for the important issues that Bernie Sanders talks about, and the stances he takes on those issues, and hope that my potential opponent, whoever it is, will argue with facts and objective statements, rather than prevaricate. I will not make any rules for debate, allowing my opponent to be able to bring up issues that phe (gender neutral pronoun) cares about, along with my being able to do so as well.
I have many different reasons for supporting Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Election. In these three rounds of debate, I think we should discuss:
1. How Bernie Sanders talks about the issues, and how his positions on these issues are good.
2. How Bernie Sanders is an honest person, and how he isn't a flip-flopper on issues.
3. How the other candidates who he is facing are bad, and how Bernie is better.
Now, to begin the first topic, how Bernie Sanders talks about the issues, and how his positions on these issues are good.
If you watch any interview that Bernie has participated in, any comment he makes, and speech he gives, he always says that he supports talking about the issues facing our country. I will list a few quotes below:
"The reason this campaign is doing well? Because we're talking about the issues that impact the American people." - Bernie Sanders at a campaign stop in Dubuque, Iowa
"But what your job is, what the media's job is, is to say, look, these are the major issues facing the country. We're a democracy. People have different points of view. Let's argue it." - Bernie Sanders in an interview with CNN
Source: Huffinton Post
"...do I have to get media attention by simply making reckless attacks on Hillary Clinton or anybody else? I don't believe in that. I believe in serious debates on serious issues." - Bernie Sanders
I want candidates to debate the real issues facing our country, and not spend millions on ugly and negative 30-second ads." - Bernie Sanders
"I believe in serious debate on serious issues." - Bernie Sanders
"Let us be clear: This campaign is not about Bernie Sanders, it is not about Hillary Clinton, it is not about Jeb Bush or anyone else. This campaign is about the needs of the American people." - Bernie Sanders
Source: BetterWorld.net
These are only a few quotes out of the many of his that regard him wanting to talk about real issues affecting our country. Clearly, Bernie Sanders doesn't want to gossip and tittle-tattle. Bernie wants to talk about major issues facing the American people today. Many of the candidates in this race pretend that they care about issues, but they are still viciously attacking one another, and some candidates (i.e. Donald Trump) doesn't even pretend to care about issues. He just belligerently attacks peoples' records, appearances, and poll numbers. Bernie seems to be the only, or one of the only candidates that talks about real issues, and does it objectively.
Also, Bernie Sanders takes good stances on many issues facing our country today. According to his website's issues page, http://berniesanders.com..., Bernie Sanders lists these issues:
INCOME AND WEALTH INEQUALITY
GETTING BIG MONEY OUT OF POLITICS
CREATING DECENT PAYING JOBS
A LIVING WAGE
CLIMATE CHANGE & ENVIRONMENT
RACIAL JUSTICE
A FAIR AND HUMANE IMMIGRATION POLICY
FIGHTING FOR WOMEN"S RIGHTS
CARING FOR OUR VETERANS
FIGHTING TO LOWER PRESCRIPTION DRUG PRICES
REFORMING WALL STREET
REAL FAMILY VALUES
WAR AND PEACE
WAR SHOULD BE THE LAST OPTION: WHY I SUPPORT THE IRAN DEAL
I encourage my opponent to look at what his website says, but I will tell you why I support Bernie in each of these categories.
Income and Wealth Inequality: Bernie Sanders believes that the rich are too rich, and the poor are too poor.
"There is something profoundly wrong when the top one-tenth of one percent owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent." - Bernie Sanders
"There is something profoundly wrong when 58 percent of all new income since the Wall Street crash has gone to the top one percent." - Bernie Sanders
Getting Big Money Out Of Politics: Bernie Sanders believes that our county's political system is being sold to the wealthy. He believes that the wealthy and corporations should not be able to donate as much as they please to a campaign.
"Freedom of speech does not mean the freedom to buy the United States government. Oil companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, Wall Street bankers and other powerful special interests have poured money into our political system for years. In 2010, a bad situation turned worse. In a 5-4 decision in the Citizens United case, the Supreme Court opened the floodgates for corporations and the wealthy to spend unlimited and undisclosed money to buy our elected officials. The Supreme Court essentially declared that corporations have the same rights as natural-born human beings." - Bernie Sanders
Creating Decent Paying Jobs and A Living Wage: Bernie Sanders believes that the current minimum wage is far too low for someone to support themselves and their families.
"It is a national disgrace that millions of full-time workers are living in poverty and millions more are forced to work two or three jobs just to pay their bills. In the year 2015, a job must lift workers out of poverty, not keep them in it. The current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour is a starvation wage and must be raised to a living wage." - Bernie Sanders
Climate Change and Environment: Bernie Sanders believes that climate change is real, along with approximately 88.5% of scientists (according to Wikipedia).
"Unless we take bold action to address climate change, our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are going to look back on this period in history and ask a very simple question: Where were they? Why didn"t the United States of America, the most powerful nation on earth, lead the international community in cutting greenhouse gas emissions and preventing the devastating damage that the scientific community told us would surely come?" - Bernie Sanders
Racial Justice: Bernie Sanders believes that we need to address four types of injustices, based on race, in our society: physical, political, legal and economic.
"We must pursue policies that transform this country into a nation that affirms the value of its people of color. That starts with addressing the four central types of violence waged against black and brown Americans: physical, political, legal and economic." - Bernie Sanders
A Fair and Humane Immigration Policy: Bernie Sanders believes that we are a nation of immigrants and we should celebrate and encourage legal immigration.
"We are a nation of immigrants. I am the son of an immigrant myself. Their story, my story, our story is a story of America: hard-working families coming to the United States to create a brighter future for their children. The story of immigrants is the story of America, a story rooted in family and fueled by hope. It continues today in families all across the United States." - Bernie Sanders
Fighting for Women's Rights: Bernie Sanders believes that denying women control over their own bodies, preventing access to vital medical and social services, and blocking equal pay for equal work is bad, and should be outlawed.
"When it comes to the rights of women, we cannot go backwards. We have got to go forward." - Bernie Sanders
Caring for Our Veterans: Bernie Sanders believes that we should fulfill our promises made to veterans.
"While serious people can have legitimate differences about when our country should go to war, there should never be a debate whether we fulfill the promises made to the men and women who served this country in the military. As a nation, we have a moral obligation to provide the best quality care to those who have put their lives on the line to defend us." - Bernie Sanders
Fighting for Lower Prescription Drug Prices: Bernie Sanders believes that we should import medication from other countries, to lower the prices of drugs, but also believes that we should be more transparent prices.
"Access to health care is a human right, and that includes access to safe and affordable prescription drugs. It is time to enact prescription drug policies that work for everyone, not just the CEOs of the pharmaceutical industry." - Bernie Sanders
Reforming Wall Street: Bernie Sanders believes that Wall Street cannot continue to be an island unto itself, gambling trillions in risky financial instruments while expecting the public to bail it out.
"If a bank is too big to fail, it is too big to exist." - Bernie Sanders
Real Family Values: Bernie Sanders believes that real family values means providing all American families with the laws and tools they need to survive. For example, increasing paid sick and medical leave.
"The truth is that we lag behind other developed countries in many of the policies that bring working families together. That"s wrong. It"s a travesty. And it should be an embarrassment to anyone who claims to speak for family values in this country." - Bernie Sanders
War and Peace: Bernie Sanders believes in strength through diplomacy.
"We live in a difficult and dangerous world, and there are no easy or magical solutions. As President and Commander-in-Chief, I will defend this nation, its people, and America"s vital strategic interests, but I will do it responsibly. America must defend freedom at home and abroad, but we must seek diplomatic solutions before resorting to military action. While force must always be an option, war must be a last resort, not the first option." - Bernie Sanders
Iran Deal: Bernie Sanders supports the Iran Nuclear Agreement.
"I support the agreement as I believe this approach is the best way forward if we are to accomplish what we all want to accomplish " that is making certain that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon." - Bernie Sanders
Daucremann

Con

Let me start by stating my giving a brief description of my political beliefs. I am a conservative and am supporting Dr. Ben Carson for President in 2016. I believe in limited government (the opposite of Mr. Sanders) and a free market, and in general hate the thought of a socialist america. In this debate I would like to give a response to all of the stances Mr. Sanders takes in his plan to "fix" america. You have stated the following issues Sanders has listed on his campaign website:
INCOME AND WEALTH INEQUALITY
GETTING BIG MONEY OUT OF POLITICS
CREATING DECENT PAYING JOBS
A LIVING WAGE
CLIMATE CHANGE & ENVIRONMENT
RACIAL JUSTICE
A FAIR AND HUMANE IMMIGRATION POLICY
FIGHTING FOR WOMEN'S RIGHTS
CARING FOR OUR VETERANS
REFORMING WALL STREET
REAL FAMILY VALUES
WAR AND PEACE

I will now cover all of the topic and state why Mr. Sanders ideas will do nothing to help the american people and why Mr. Sanders would not be an effective president.
INCOME AND WEALTH INEQUALITY: Mr. Sanders seems to be on a mission to demonize the most successful people that america has. He speaks of the "evil 1%" like they have done something wrong in creating wealth for themselves. There is a problem of income inequality in America, maybe not as big as Mr. Sanders states, but a problem indeed. The problem with Sanders stance is that his plan to fix it is to tax the "evil 1%" a clips as high as 90% in some cases. The way to raise americans out of poverty is not to form a culture of government dependence. That being said, having a safety net is one of the greatest accomplishments of all time in the history on society, but Mr. Sanders plan keeps people in the lower rings of society rather that free enterprise which has lifted millions people out of poverty around the world.
GETTING BIG MONEY OUT OF POLITICS: Mr. Sanders states that this isn't a matter of Freedom of Speech. I'm still trying to find where this issue isn't a matter of free speech. If the right to speak freely is lost because individuals belong to corporations, then radio and TV stations, newspapers and magazines would be subject to restraint by the government. All the reforms in the world will not eliminate the corruption in the system.
CREATING DECENT PAYING JOBS: Again it seems like Mr. Sanders solutions to all problems include more and more government. A 1 trillion dollar investment in Infrastructure? And the money comes straight out of the "evil 1%" pockets. The government already spends tens of billions dollars on infrastructure per year and just like anything else the government tries to control, education, healthcare etc. it backfires. Big government is not the answer, as we have seen from our last two presidents. The Government does not create jobs! Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs create jobs, that a simple fact that the left cannot seem to understand.
A LIVING WAGE: The problem with raising the minimum wage to 15$ percent is that it hurts the very people that the raising of wages is supposed to help. When a business gets the new regulation from the Federal Government that they now must pay 15$ to minimum wage employees, it puts them in a difficult spot. If you are a small business and realize that you will go out of business if you don't lay off 5 employees, who do you fire? The ones with limited skills of course. When you raise the minimum wage all the way to 15$ you hurt the people who need help them most.
CLIMATE CHANGE & ENVIRONMENT: The problem with Climate Change is not that it's bad to help save the environment. It is that excessive government regulation hurts small business owners and in turn the economy as a whole. A policy to help the environment cannot hurt business owners and average families in America.
RACIAL JUSTICE: This just another issue where Mr. Sanders thinks the federal government can make a difference. Racism sadly still a big problem in the United States. This partly due to the left adding fuel to the fire of race wars in America. Not all cops are evil, not all cops are 5 star citizens. Racism is not a problem that can be fixed by the grossly ineffective federal government. Federal Police Training? That sounds like a sure fire way to have worse police forces all around america. Mr. Sanders plan only adds to racial tensions around the country by turning the black community into a social group of sorts.
A FAIR AND HUMANE IMMIGRATION POLICY: Any candidate that talks about deporting 11 million immigrants, which happens to be only one (Mr. Trump), Is completely delusional. That being said a country isn't a country without borders. America has to secure its borders and create a system where Immigrants have a path to citizenship when they cross the borders and flee from economic hardships. America is a place of great promise and happens to be a land of immigrants. We must cherish the people who come to the United States. The DREAM act as stated in Mr. Sanders plan will only increase the number of people who enter the unites states ILLEGALLY.
FIGHTING FOR WOMEN'S RIGHTS: No one can say Mr. Sanders is wrong for fighting for women's rights. He does so in a way that he left has has tendency to do, turn women into a social group instead of treating them like a special group, where I believe women should be treated like regular human beings. Of course there are some issues that apply to only women such as Abortion. Mr. Sanders shows no regard for life just like the rest of the left with his support for Planned Parenthood and selling baby parts. Mr. Sanders also supports the creation of a universal daycare system. I must say if Mr. Sanders thinks the Federal Government can do a better job taking care of children than the private sector he is plainly false.
CARING FOR OUR VETERANS: Our veterans are the best people that the United States has. We have seen how a lack of management has led to veterans committing suicide while waiting for care. Mr. Sanders plan includes expanding the VA. We have seen how grossly incompetent the federal government has been on some issues, pouring more money into the VA will not help us take care of our most valuable citizens. Individual HSA's will allow our Vets to get quality healthcare while energizing the private sector. The operating VA facilities will be dedicated to wounded veterans and veterans with traumatic brain injuries.
FIGHTING TO LOWER PRESCRIPTION DRUG PRICES: This is once again another way that for federal government to intrude into the american people's lives. Prescription drug prices will be lowered through innovation and competition. Not by the government being all powerful and working outside of their boundaries.
REAL FAMILY VALUES: Adding more regulations to businesses is not a way to grow the economy, this plan really has nothing to do with family values. It has to do with more government intrusion into the citizens lives.
WAR AND PEACE: Mr. Sanders wants to cut military spending and it doesn't seem that he has a very strong national defense plan. His position paper is very vague and unspecific as to what exactly his plan is to defeat the enemy which is radical islam and terrorism world wide.
IRAN DEAL: Why anyone would support the Iran Nuclear deal is beyond me. It gives hundreds of billions of dollars to the leading state sponsor of terrorism worldwide. All this deal does is kick the can down the road for our future leaders to deal with. The left acts as if Iran really wants to follow the deal and they will "reimpose" sanctions if the are not following the deal. The only problem with this idea is that we have no idea if the are following the rules of the deal because of the ridiculous rules for inspections the deal includes.

All in all, Mr. Sanders plan will only lead to more fiscal irresponsibility and government intrusion into the American People's lives.
MattAllen

Pro

MattAllen forfeited this round.
Daucremann

Con

Reason for Forfeit?
MattAllen

Pro

MattAllen forfeited this round.
Daucremann

Con

Daucremann forfeited this round.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
I fuk d Bernie LOLOLOLOL
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Flip flopping on issues shows that you show intellectual humility and maturity tho. I support Sanders but that's not a good reason