TheOregonian
KeeganMix

Bernie Sanders is a Bad Presidential Candidate

TheOregonian

Con

Relatively self-explanatory. I saw your debate with Agha and I thought it a pity he was unable to respond. Same structure as the original:

Round 1: Opening Statements
Round 2: Rebuttal
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Closing statements (No new arguments)

BoP is shared.

Why is Donald Trump becoming so popular? He is anti-establishment. Voters have begun to realize that the establishment does not care about them. But Trump supporters have been taught all of their lives that nothing associated with Communism, Marxism, or Socialism will work, as part of anti-Soviet propaganda, so instead turn to the other radical politician. Bernie Sanders in nearly every poll outperforms Hillary Clinton in hypothetical matchups between possible nominees. His social policies are intended for the good of the American people, not multinational corporations.
KeeganMix

Pro

Hello! Glad you challenged me to this topic and I'm looking forward to hopefully an active debate. First off I would like to say that even though I am a republican, I currently do not support Donald trump. I'm a Ted Cruz supporter, however I will support Trump if he is the GOP candidate. With that being said, I will address why I do not support Bernie Sanders outrageous beliefs. Bernie Sanders has called his economic plan "Democratic socialism" which is pretty much a fancier way of saying "Socialism". This will create a huge economic destruction because if businesses and corporations are taxes more, they will lay off more workers. This also applies to the fact that he wants to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour which is completely absurd. I will continue as the debate goes on and I look forward to a great debate.
TheOregonian

Con

First things first, Democratic Socialism existed before, exists apart from, and will exist after Bernie Sanders. It is a democratically-led system in which the some of the means of production are socially owned. Link here: http://www.dsausa.org...
Democratic Socialism is very different than Socialism, which is described here:
http://www.worldsocialism.org...
Also, I was not inferring that you were a Donald Trump supporter. I was stating that Donald Trump is popular with the right-wing voters, and explaining why.

Now, to get to your main point: Minimum wage. As of writing, the Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 per hour. To make an average living wage (they vary state to state), a single mother would have to work 125 hours a week on that. (Find the living wage where you live at http://livingwage.mit.edu...). And in case you were to say that a higher minimum wage would cause inflation, or do something else to the economy, look at Australia. Australia's minimum wage is approximately $16 US dollars an hour (https://www.fairwork.gov.au...) , and there is a normal level of inflation.

And also, if you want to know what a Social Democracy would look like in practice, look at the Nordic Countries. Most are Social Democracies, and, rank among the highest in the Human Development Index. (http://hdr.undp.org...)
KeeganMix

Pro

KeeganMix forfeited this round.
TheOregonian

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited, and has presented no new arguments, I will refute his from his previous debate. The link is here: http://www.debate.org...

"Thank you for accepting this debate. Bernie Sanders is not at all a reliable candidate for the presidential nominee. College tuition for free may sound like a good concept, but then when you think about it, it is not free due to the fact that taxes will dramatically increase. When tuition is free for the younger generation, it is coming out of pockets of people who have already got their college degree and are already high-income citizens. Now looking at religious wise I believe that Bernie Sanders is the definition of a Hypocrite. Bernie voted NO on the senate floor to protecting the pledge of allegiance in schools (SEP. 2004) as well as voting NO on allowing prayer during school after the horrible attacks of 9/11 (Nov. 2001). Not only did he vote NO to these acts, but BERNIE SANDERS IS JEWISH! Not only that, but he urges China to respect freedom of religion which is hypocrisy due to the fact that he won't allow freedom of religion in public schools. Bernie also states that he wanted to raise minimum wage to $15 which is ludicrous and insane! When you raise the minimum wage by that much, you hurt small businesses and companies will lay off workers which will severely increase the unemployment rate. Not only that, but that opens up the door for inflation. Bernie also insists as you mentioned on Racial Justice, however in Feburary of 2008 Bernie voted NO on allowing tribal indians to opt out of federal healthcare which is considered unconstitutional when you consider that all men are created equal."

Have you ever heard the phrase "There's no such thing as a free lunch"? Everything good comes at a cost, both to you and to society as a whole. That's what weighing Pros and Cons is all about, evaluating the cost to society compared to the benefits to it. Some of the highest taxed countries in the world are in Scandinavia (aka the Nordic countries) and in return, the receive the highest standards of living in the world, and some of the highest development rates in the world. Bernie Sanders wants to give all people what he thinks all people deserves: a life worth living. To this end, all of his policies have been successful elsewhere.

It irks me greatly how many people confuse the meaning of freedom of religion. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...". In the vote you referred to, where Bernie Sanders voted against prayer in schools, he was defending the constitution. such an act would be in violation of "no law respecting establishment of religion". Also, what do you have against Jewish people? They actually have been proven to be more intelligent, statistically speaking, than Christians. (http://nymag.com...). And his right to free exercise of religion should not matter... and it doesn't, because he's actually an atheist. You see, he's ancestrally, culturally, ethnically, and genetically Jewish (still got the brain bonus) but religiously, he's nonreligious. This is a good thing, because for an atheist, there is no higher law than the Constitution, and no higher power to tell them to do something which would harm the American people, i.e., 'God told me to do it" no longer works as an excuse.

What is the duty of the government? It is to protect and serve the people. It is to raise the standard of living and the national happiness, to the benefit of the people. He believes, and I heartily agree (possibly an arguable subject), that mandatory federal healthcare is a mean to this end. There was no ballot on the table to keep white Americans in such a mold; the law only applied to Native Americans. He stood by what he thought right, and he always does: And there inlies both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness.

"I would like to continue this debate by saying Bernie has also done some socially unmoral things like voting against amber alerts for missing kids back in April of 2003. Bernie also wants to isolate this country and the evidence is all there in his senate votes people. Bernie voted to opt out of the WTO (World Trade Organization) back in June of 2000. I'm trying to be brief so i can make this debate more interesting. Hopefully you'll respond"

I have not heard of the amber alerts vote, and do not know what the context of that law is.

The World Trade Organization was designed to help less developed countries develop, at the expense of more economically powerful countries, which would be us.
KeeganMix

Pro

KeeganMix forfeited this round.
Posted by TheOregonian 1 year ago
TheOregonian
Well, crap. I messed up. I made it three rounds instead of four. Whoops!
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
We should force all industries to abide by US Labor Laws regardless of the country in which they employ their workers, that way they'll never get away with outsourcing, after all we are their biggest customers ;).
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
The truth is that big business thrives on unemployment :/ this is because people are expendable, they can always choose somebody else from the unemployment pool. This is not ok in my opinion :( too many people lost their jobs because of this reason. As for Socialized healthcare, it's an obvious choice for me because of the moral concept behind it. Firstly I believe that all insurance companies should be labelled as unethical business practices because they profit on the misfortune of others, secondly there is no incentive to pay your claim because they'll lose money and even if they do they'll jack up your rates. There is no honor in kicking someone when they're already down. All in all I'm for socializing needs of the people and letting the wants go unregulated :). Let them be billionaires if they want, but lets not allow them to impede the progress of the American people. And if you don't want to pay for all the education, at least pay for the jobs that our country can't survive without like healthcare positions, scientists, engineers, plumbers, electricians ect...
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
I believe that Bernie sanders is an excellent candidate for president because i just want to throw this out front this guy is Badass! because he was arrested in the march for civil rights alongside Martin Luther King Jr for starters. But to the actual issue.... ahem Economics a subject of which I'm very proficient in :). So Who here knows what Capitalism is? Anybody? It's the complete and total lack of government regulation on business. What's the problem with this you ask? well, long ago before socialized reforms in America, there used to be these things called Monopolies which employed 8 year old children to work in sweat shops, long hours for low pay (no minimum wage), no benefits, if you got your finger or hand chopped off you were simply fired, firefighters negotiated the price to put out flames, soldiers were mercenaries for the highest bidder. Fact- everything we pay taxes for is considered socialism, this includes The United States Army, Fire departments, police departments ect... If you are a capitalist, are you suggesting that firefighters should haggle over the price before saving your children? that soldiers should negotiate the cost before protecting our citizens? I didn't think so :/ . What happened when we decided that we didn't want to be treated so poorly by Big Business? Anyone? They decided to get away with it somewhere else... CHINA where they can afford to produce massive quantities of product for dirt cheap. This creates a massive flaw in the capitalist "Trickle down Economics Theory" where big business creates a ripple effect by paying smaller business which pay people and so on so forth. This theory is based solely on the premise that Big Business is going to do "the right thing". Sadly, as our history tells us, and as modern day tells us, this is never the case. Instead they continue to exploit US Citizens by increasing the cost of living and Forcing us to go into debt which we can't hope to ever pay back :(.