MasturDebatur
AlternativeDavid

Bertering is the best form of trade

AlternativeDavid
Started: 9/1/2014 Category: Economics

MasturDebatur

Pro

I will be arguing the idea that bartering is a better way to exchange or make "purchases" than using a monetary system.

It's 2 rounds because I want to get this over with quickly and I have a couple other ideas I'm debating for university.

Barter - Exchange of goods and services for other goods and services; no legal tender involved.

Monetary - Legal tender; dollar, euro, etc.

Thanks in advance for accepting! Feel free to go over any terms or anything you wish in R1.
AlternativeDavid

Con

I thought I accepted this an hour ago. Sorry for making you wait.
MasturDebatur

Pro

No problem! Before I begin, I really must have to apologize for misspelling "Bartering," that was kind of embarrassing.

Anyway, glad you've accepted, thanks!

Bartering is the idea that you can trade material possessions or your own services for someone else's material possessions. Ex; I will give you my Lexus if you can type up a 700-page essay on Bartering. Instead of working for $15/hr for 8 hours a day, for 42 days, in order to pay someone cash for their car, which they in turn spend on whatever they want - don't forget all the taxes - you can do something that benefits them, and they can give you what benefits you. You both get something done.

You can create or build things and trade them to people for their possessions - you both get something you want, and you don't have to "save up" or earn a lot of money that you end up giving away (or spending) by the time you've saved up enough for what you want.

If you're smart, you can get a lot from nothing [1].

If you can't get a job (can't afford school, didn't do well enough in High School to get to post secondary, no experience, nobody is hiring, parents don't want you working, etc) but you need something, like a car, computer, house, whatever - you can get it. All you have to do is give the person selling what you want, what they want. If money wasn't necessary, it would be fair to give somebody something they want, which they would most likely buy with the money you gave them for their thing, and receive something you want.

There would be no taxes, the government wouldn't print money out and determine the value of your country's dollar, and the prices of things wouldn't fluctuate - it would simply be what the seller wants in return. Corrupt governments and politicians would be scarce, and there would not be banks controlling the economy, or the dreaded 1% that people constantly complain about. The reason people have things would be because they traded their things for other things. Not because they took advantage of a capitalist nation.

Sorry I didn't indulge on more of this, I'm short on time. Looking forward to hearing your side of this!

[1] http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.ca...
AlternativeDavid

Con

There's one fatal flaw in bartering that makes it unfeasible. Let's say you make shoes and I'm a cattle herder. I want shoes, but one pair of shoes is not worth an entire cow. I can't trade in partial cows because that's very messy and the value of the cow goes down because it's dead. You're willing to trade the shoes for a service though right? Wrong. I'm an old crippled man in a wheel chair.

Trade has just broken down. I don't view my item to be worth the same as yours, and I'm unable to fullfil a task for you.

Here's a new scenario: As a cattle herder, I pay my workers with wine. Francis and Jimmy like red wine, which I can get across the street for half a cow each. Arnold only likes white wine though. Nobody in our town makes/sells white wine. I now have to leave the town in search for white wine. Instead of just handing Arnold $50 for his labor, I have to go out of my way to find something he's willing to trade for.

Trade has just broken down because somebody doesn't want what I have to offer. These two scenarios are why legal tender makes commerce much easier.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Then give them my answer. Simple is always best.
Posted by MasturDebatur 2 years ago
MasturDebatur
This is not necessarily what I agree with - it's a study for university.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
That would not be the best way. If I needed a window, I would have to find someone that needed something I had to barter with.The complications would be endless.
Posted by MasturDebatur 2 years ago
MasturDebatur
I guess I should have spelled that correctly, lol.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
MasturDebaturAlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: con shows the lots of disadvantages of bartering and rebuts pro's arguments
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
MasturDebaturAlternativeDavidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed that bartering, for all its virtues, breaks down between two people otherwise willing to trade with each other, when one cannot produce a good or service they agree is of equivalent value.