utahjoker
TheTraditionalist

Best Batman Villain

utahjoker

Pro

First round is acceptance and my opponent can choose their choice of villain by adding it to acceptance, followed by two rounds of debate.

Good Luck
TheTraditionalist

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this interesting debate. I posit that the Mad Hatter (Jervis Tetch) is the best Batman villain. As my opponent did not indicate in the first round which media we were supposed to base our arguments around, my case will primarily center around the television show Batman the Animated Series. I recognize that the Mad Hatter is quite an obscure Batman Villain, and so I have included a video which discusses the villain and his origins.

;
utahjoker

Pro

The villain I will be arguing for is Harvey Dent or as most know him as Two-Face. I will be using the Two-Face from the comics and The Dark Knight. The reasoning I choose Two-Face is that he is tragic hero and Batman's best friend.

Harvey Dent is one of comics greatest fallen heroes. He was a man that worked to clean Gotham of the crime and filth that over took the city. He was doing this by the book and was sending criminals in prison at a rate that Batman couldn't keep up. With this great heroic deeds he had a horrible past. He was unfortunately abused as a kid and his abuser decided if he was going to be abused by coin toss which later he found out the coin toss was rigged. He was mentally unstable, but fought it to do what was good in Gotham. When a horrible accident happened that burned half his body and in the comics his girlfriend left him and in the movie The Dark Knight she dies while he listens to her final words. This was the last straw and it broke him and turned him to the side of what he had fought his whole life.

Before his accident he was Batman's equal in fighting crime, but more importantly he was Batman's friend. When accident happened Batman had to fight the person who he cared about. Every time Batman sees him he begs in his heart he will return to the side of justice. Every time Batman hits him he has to feel the pain as well.

Two-Face his not a criminal, but something worse the villain of humanity someone who has turned from good to evil.

http://www.batman-on-film.com...
TheTraditionalist

Con

I know that it may seem odd for me to pick the Mad Hatter as the best Batman villain, especially considering his unassuming appearance, but I genuinely believe that he is the best Batman villain, and I believe that my opinion is well justified.

Standing at only 4'8" and weighing in at only 149 pounds, it is safe to say that the Mad Hatter is not much of a physical threat against the 6'2" 210 pound Caped Crusader. However, the Mad Hatter is able to challenge Batman in a way that no villain in Batman's rogues gallery has been able to; in episode 30 of Batman the Animated Series the Mad Hatter tricks Bruce Wayne (Batman) into experiencing a prolonged hallucination in which his parents are alive and his memories of being Batman were nothing more than the product of a psychosis.

Bruce, although initially hesitant, begins to warm to the life that he is experiencing in this illusion, stating that "the nightmare is over" when he becomes convinced that his memories of Batman are nothing more than a delusion. Bruce goes so far as inviting his finance Selena Kyle, and his now alive parents to go to the opera. However, Bruce begins to suspect that what he is experiencing is not reality.

The episode concludes with a fight between Bruce Wayne, and Batman (who is revealed to be the Mad Hatter). During this ordeal there is an exchange of words between Bruce Wayne and the Mad Hatter; the Mad Hatter informs Bruce that what he is experiencing now can be reality, if he so chooses to believe that it is. This presents Bruce with an interesting moral dilemma, the likes of which he has never experienced before; should he continue living the illusion that has been carefully crafted for him, or should he attempt to return to the life of heart-break and torment which created the Batman? This moral dilemma creates a lot of internal conflict within Bruce, which makes him visibly distort. Bruce, eventually chooses to return to reality, choosing to uphold his sense of obligation to others over his own personal selfishness, but the experience was moral vexing in a way that Batman has never experience before or after.

What is interesting about the experience is that it is only possible for it to have been perpetrated by the Mad Hatter because of the tools that he, and only he, has at his disposal. It is because of this that the Mad Hatter should be considered the best Batman Villain; superior to the Joker, Bane, and even Two-Face.

http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

utahjoker

Pro

In this debate the villains chosen for the greatest Batman villain debate are Two-Face and The Mad Hatter. I will prove that Two-Face is superior to The Mad Hatter. Two main reasons I feel this way is because Two-Face has a better origin story and a more interesting relationship with Batman

Origin story

Harvey Dent was an adult who was abused as a child by his father, but fought his pain to help the better of Gotham through the justice courts. He than had a horrible accident that made everyone cast him out and he become insane. This is a tragic event when the heroic figure that tried to save Gotham in a legal way become an outcast.

The Mad Hatter is little less tragic. He was a scientist that wanted to live in an Alice and Wonderland fantasy that is the main part of his origin a man who wanted liked the book Alice and Wonderland a little too much.

Which is it the Tragic hero or the creepy scientific. The origin story of Two-Face must be a greater and sadder event compared to the Mad Hatter.

Relationship with Batman

Harvey Dent was Batman's partner in crime to stop crime. Now that he is Two-Face, Batman has to fight his once best friend. Hoping that he will turn back to the good side, only to be disappointed. Every time Batman fights him it is like fighting a family member someone who he really cares about. This shows how great of a villain Two-Face is because he is the one villain that Batman has to think what if.

Mad Hatter is just a pest. Sometime Mad Hatter can get Batman in his mind controlling power, but always fails in the end. Where Harvey Dent being Two-Face will always in succeed of Batman's greatest failure.

If my opponent wants a real situation when Batman was in real danger unlike the bad dream that he went through with my opponents Mad Hatter story all it takes is a look in the movie the Dark Knight. When Two-Face is about to flip a coin to decide whether Gordon's boy lives or dies. Batman is trying to talk him out of it, but has to make the choice of killing him and in doing so killing Gotham's true hero.

Vote for Two-Face because he is the fallen angel in the Batman universe.

TheTraditionalist

Con

The relationship between two-face and batman is pretty common place within the Batman mythos; he also has a similar relationship with the Red Hood in Batman Under the Red Hood, and the new Joker in Batman Beyond Return of the Joker.

Two Face is treated as an annoying menace in Batman and Robin just as the Mad Hatter is treated the same in some adaptations of Batman mythology.

I extend my prior argunents to affirm that the Mad Hatter is the best Batman villain. Thank you.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
utahjokerTheTraditionalistTied
Reasons for voting decision: countering rationalmadman for being a dumba** (as usual)
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
utahjokerTheTraditionalistTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate two faced people like utahjoker who first said scarecrow was and never really denied catwoman being it and is such a damn coward that he now has to be TWO FACED and say two face hahaha what a loser. TheTraditionalist really knows the deep down truth that the mad hatter's ATTITUDE and WAY OF VILLAINY would pull him through,