Best Japanese Song

Started: 1/14/2013 Category: Arts

Sup everyone.

Want to have a competition to see who has a better song.

The ways in which the song can be judged are based on the following points:

- There are emotions that can be felt throughout the song

- There is a meaning to the song

- There can be something learnt from the song

It is a SONG meaning there is a singer.

Please ensure you can find the roomaji and English translations for the song you are providing.

Please give a link to where you we can listen to the song.

As this is only a 2-round debate, there will be no refutations and/or comparisons. On the second round, you will provide the song, the roomaji and English translations, and then elaborate on why you think the song is good.

I hope I've made myself clear, but meh, just see what happens then lol.

Any questions and/or queries, please post in comments section.

First round acceptance only.

AND, this debate in only available to members who have no debated me before. If someone who has already debated me before accepts this debate, it will result in an automatic win on my side.

And no trolling or semantics.

Well, the song that I would like to introduce to everyone was a song that my Japanese teacher showed to us during class. The song that I have chosen is called “Toire no kamisama” which means “Goddess In The Toilet” (I’m being pretty damn serious about using this song.)

; (A music video of “Toire no kamisama”)

Toire = Toilet

Kamisama = Goddess (Kami = God)

No = In between particle

Over here, you can find the lyrics along with the English translation:

Lol I’m just messing around with you. Here’s the one with the roomaji and the English translation for non-Japanese speaker/readers :p

What makes this song “good”? (in relation to my R1 criteria) I will begin to outline my reasons.

For some reason, from thrid grade onward
I lived with my grandma
She lived right next door to my parents
But I lived with my grandma

This is the start of the song and also created the setting/atmosphere. The girl (in first person) in unable to live in the same house as her parents and is obliged to live with her grandmother.

I helped her every day
And we played gomoku
But I just didn't like cleaning the toilet
And Grandma said this to me

Gomoku is he same thing as "Go" for those who are wondering. This is where the important part of the song emerges. The Goddess of the toilet starts here.

There's a, there's a pretty goddess
Living in the toilet
So if you clean the toilet every day, you can become
A pretty lady, just like the goddess

The goddess that lives in the toilet states that if you clean up the toilet on a daily basis, you can become a pretty lady, just like the goddess.

From that day on, I cleaned the toilet
Until it shone
I wanted to be a pretty lady so much
So I cleaned it every day

So the girl starts cleaning up the toilet as she is dedicated to become a pretty lady as the legend states she would be if she followed that idea.

When we went shopping
We ate Nanban duck soup together
I cried and yelled at Grandma
When she forgot to record Shinkigeki

Another important section of the song has arrived. During her meal with Grandma, she "cried and yelled at Grandma, when she forgot to record Shinkigeki" (A comedy show in Japan). This displays the typical situation when a child becomes close to an ungrateful brat and does not realise how previleged they already are. Having Grandma do whatever she wants became an expectation rather than a request to say.

There's a, there's a pretty goddess
Living in the toilet
So if you can clean the toilet every day, you can become
A pretty lady, just like the goddess

Once again, it refers back to the cleaning of the toilet. If you are dedicated to becoming a pretty lady, you must clean the toilet on a daily basis.

When I was a little older
I fought with Grandma
I didn't get on well with my family anymore
And didn't want to be at home anymore

This is putting on more emphasis of not being a good child. A child does not get everything that they want and would go so far as not wanting to be at home anymore.

On days off, I'd go out with my boyfriend
And not come home
The things between us started to disappear
No more gomoku, no more duck soup

I am not so sure what setting this type of girl would fall under. However, I would guess her age would be somewhere between 16-22 considering she has a boyfriend (meer guess).
Why do peope hurt each other
And lose everything they held dear?
I left home alone
Leaving behind Grandma, who had always been my closest ally

Taking note that this song is presented in first person, and the use of the words "closest ally" in reference to her Grandma, we can gather that from here onwards, she begins to appreciate her Grandma more.

Two years after I left Tokyo
Grandma was taken to hospital
I went to visit Grandma
She'd become so thin and frail

"Thin and Frail" are words that depict our emotions. She feels sad that her Grandma is in such bad shape. Before she was competely ungrateful with what Grandma and her parents had to ffer her in her life. It is over here where maturity has been developed and her feelings fo Grandma has changed.

I said "Grandma, I'm home!"
Purposely saying it in the same way I used to
Before we had the chance to talk much
I was shooed out of her room and told "Time to go home now"

Her emotions are revealed to Grandma.

The next morning, Grandma
Quietly passed away in her sleep
It really, really seemed like she'd been waiting
Just for me to come
Even though she raised me
Even though she asked for nothing in return
Even though I hadn't been a good grandchild
She waited for me

The next stage of her understanding has developed here. From here, we can gather that she finally understands what love means and how her Grandma has shown it to her. As the last four lines of thse stanza reads: "Even though she raised me, Even though she asked for nothing in return, Even though I hadn't been a good grandchild, She waited for me".

It is also clera, form the song itself, that these four lines have most impact as the volume increases and there is a lot more emphasis on those lines.

In the toilet, there's a pretty
Goddess who lives there
I wonder if those words grandma said to me
Have turned the present me into a pretty lady

Going back to the legend that if you are a girl from Japan and clean the toilet, you will become pretty, just like the goddess that lives down there. She reflects back onto the words from Grandma and thinks whether or not it is true. She displays appreciation to what Grandma has to say.

There's a, there's a pretty goddess
Living in the toilet
A pretty lady, just like the goddess

More or less a repeat of the previous stanza.

Becoming a good wife
Was my dream
Today, once again, I scrub and scrub the toilet
Until it shines

Thank you
Thank you
So much

The final words of appreaciation before the end of the song.

To sum up the idea and flow of the story, a typical child becomes ungrateful at not being allowed to have everything that they want. As the song progresses, so does the child in her life. She moves on through life, gaining maturity and a deeper understanding with what it means to have something important in her life (her grandma this time).

The song itself is also rather moving as it progresses through the life of a child from being immature and the development of their maturity.

At the end of the song, the girl is finally able to understand love, and what it truly means to lose someone important in her life. And, for these reasons, it makes the song "good" (under what has been outlined in R1)

Looking forward to the song that Bossy has to offer!

I never thought that I would enjoy a song about a toilet goddess...

The song I will use for this debate will be a fairly old one by the name of either Ue o Muite Arukō or Sukiyaki.

I'll follow the same path my opponent has taken and break down the lyrics step by step.

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Remembering those happy spring days
But tonight I'm all alone

This section tells you that the singer has just had something bad happen to him (presumably a breakup from the last line). I believe that the first two lines are a metaphor for the ways that he copes with this. Maybe he doesn't want to show the world that he is in so much grief (hence the second line). Perhaps he doesn't want to give up hope and tears hitting the ground is a metaphor for giving up and moving on. It's really up to you to find your own meaning in this.

I look up when I walk
Counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days
But tonight I'm all alone

This verse is the same as the last except for the second line. To me, it makes me think that he is trying to take his mind off of her in order to forget and move on but he can't due to him reliving the old memories.

Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky

This is a reference to him staring up while he walks in order for his tears not to fall. This ties in with my other theories stated before.

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone

Remembering those happy autumn days
But tonight I'm all alone

See above.

Sadness is in the shadow of the stars
Sadness is in the shadow of the moon

This could mean a few different things. It could be reffering to the shadows being on the ground, so he doesn't want to look down (in a metaphorical sense). "Shadow" could be enterpreted as the area below the stars and moon. It could mean that looking at the stars and the moon while looking up just worsens the pain.

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone

See above.

This song can be enterpreted a couple of different ways, but the way I see it is that it is the tale of a lovesick man and how he copes with the pain. It has an extremely catchy tune and might even bring a tear to your eye.
Posted by tumblrwhynot 3 years ago
ok guys we all know utada hikaru's song passion sanctuary was the best
Posted by TheElderScroll 3 years ago
Only into anime. So my favorite one is "Sea of Miracles", a very very very old but touching Japanese song.
Posted by Luggs 3 years ago
I would have picked this ->
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 3 years ago
Wow. I cannot believe neither of you posted this song:
Posted by famer 3 years ago
Oh god... Just realised this debate, and only have about 38 minutes left....

Going to have to rush through this -___-
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
Nothing can beat that song.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 3 years ago
Nah I would have picked this one >> Because Maikuru is in it.
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
You would probably pick some awful techno wubz.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 3 years ago
Sheeeeeit I might have taken this had i seen it before bossy =p
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
Four hours.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was screwed as soon as Con picked his song. That happens to be one of my all time favorite songs, which is odd but what are you gonna do, ya know? I did listen to Pro's entire song prior to Con's round, though, and really hated it. The melody was boring and the words were absurd. Con's song is a classic with heartfelt lyrics and an upbeat tempo. I'd also recommend finding some of the many, many remixes of Con's song for more Japanese goodness.