luakil
TannerJK

Best Movie of 2008

TannerJK has forfeited round #2.
Started: 10/3/2016 Category: Movies

luakil

Pro

In my opinion, Synecdoche, New York is the best movie of 2008. Is there anyone interested in challenging me?
TannerJK

Con

I accept and look forward to this debate. I am going to be arguing that Iron Man was the best movie in 2008, and I will wait for my opponent to lay out his first full argument before I lay out mine.
luakil

Pro

Spike Jonze couldn't have done a better job in terms of pacing and craftsmanship of Kaufman's excellent script. The film had been five years in the making and you can feel the issues that Kaufman wanted to address brimming over. Illness, death, transience, love, relationships, passion, devotion, art, theatre, identity, hope, so many topics dealt with in a painfully sincere way. You both laugh and get emotionally affected all the time along with being confused by the twists of the plot and the grotesqueness of the imagery. You get many 'this is so true' moments that you completely identify with and then you suddenly get struck by a completely surreal scene. The brilliant script by Charlie Kaufman makes everything flows effortlessly. The photography assists the script, completing it. It's just incredible cinematography. The cinematography and set design mixes magical realism into the movie and gives a dream like quality to everything. The cast is phenomenal, Philip Seymour Hoffman has to be singled out for his magnificent performance. I have never been much of a fan of his and I was somewhat bothered by the idea of him as a lead in the next Kaufman movie. I didn't think he had a presence for that, but did he prove me wrong! Appearing in virtually every scene, the man has carried this film on his shoulders. He has created a completely lovable and ludicrous character and conveyed Kaufman's ideas splendidly.

As a fan of Charlie Kaufman, I was really overwhelmed by this experience. The film is a bit difficult to comprehend instantaneously and Kaufman himself insists it requires a second or third viewing. It is an amazing, honest, and thought-provoking picture.
Posted by luakil 7 months ago
luakil
You pick what you think is the best movie of 2008 and we debate on what we think the better movie is. How you debate is up to you. :P
Posted by TannerJK 7 months ago
TannerJK
And one final question: Am I supposed to say only debate that your movie WASN'T the best, or am I supposed to pick another 2008 movie that I say is the best?
Posted by luakil 7 months ago
luakil
I didn't have a specific format for us to follow, so I can edit it to 4 rounds.
Posted by TannerJK 7 months ago
TannerJK
I'm not against 5 rounds, I was just wondering if you had a specific format you wanted us to follow. How about 4 rounds?
Posted by luakil 7 months ago
luakil
I can edit it down to 3 or 4 rounds if you would like. :)
Posted by TannerJK 7 months ago
TannerJK
I am interested in accepting this debate. Before I do though, I am wondering what format you have in mind, seeing as this is a 5 round debate and there may not be a ton of content to fill up 5 rounds. Could you elaborate a little bit?