Best NFL Current NFL Quarterback (Disregarding Injuries, etc.)

Started: 11/21/2008 Category: Sports

>I would like to thank my respected opponent in advance for accepting to this debate.

>My choice as the best current NFL quarterback is Tom Brady. He is currently injured, but he has broken many records and continues to shine as the quarterback of the New England Patriots. Here are some records and achievements of his:

* Highest single-game quarterback rating: 158.3 (at Miami, October 21, 2007)
* Highest single-season quarterback rating: 117.2 (2007)
* Highest total passing touchdowns in a game: 6 (at Miami, October 21, 2007)
* Highest total passing touchdowns in a regular season: 50 (2007) NFL Record
* Highest total passing yards in a game: 410 (vs. KC, 2002)
* Highest total passing yards in a season: 4,806 (2007)
* Lowest interception total, season (minimum 2 starts): 8 (2007)
* Largest touchdown to interception difference: +42 (2007) NFL Record
* 87–24 (regular season), 101–27 (career) as a starter
* 19.05 passing attempts per touchdown (career)
* 43.35 passing attempts per interception (career)
* 7–0 (career) in overtime games
* 27–5 (career) vs NFC teams
* 84–1 (regular season) when the Patriots have a lead at any time in the fourth quarter
* 28 game-winning drives after a Patriots' fourth-quarter tie or deficit
* NFL record for most consecutive wins in post season: 10 (broke record of Green Bay's Bart Starr).
* Most consecutive post season wins (college and professional combined): 12
* 3 Super Bowl victories
* 2 Super Bowl MVP awards
* Most completions in a Super Bowl (32 in Super Bowl XXXVIII)
* Most career Super Bowl completions (100 in four games)
* Highest completion percentage in a single game, minimum 20 attempts (26 of 28, 92.9%, against Jacksonville in 2007 AFC Divisional round)

It is amazing that he completed 26 of his 28 passes, let alone Brady had to play against the tremendously talented defense of the Jacksonville Jaguars. He had two huge completions in this game of 33 and 53 yards. He also had 3 touchdown passes.

Having the most touchdown passes in a season speaks for itself, especially at such a high number as 50.

Tom Brady's leadership and ability to win games is phenomenal, including an amazing record in both the regular season and the postseason.

Brady was won 3 of 4 Super Bowls he's played in.

>I thank my opponent in advance for his response and wish him luck.

Peyton Manning's season in 2005 was historic. Scratch that- it was epic. Not only did he shatter the touchdown record set by Dan Marino but he also destroyed his QB Rating record. granted, one season is not a good snapshot of a career. However, Manning's past seasons have been consistently fantastic. This is evident by his consecutive pro bowls and the raw hard stats that point his dominance on the football field. Scouts often compare QBs using several different criterions. Accuracy (Measured by Completion percentage), Arm Power, Pocket presence, Intelligence, and Accomplishments. First of all, I believe there are two truly great quarterbacks in the game today: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.
It should be noted that Peyton Manning's completion percentage is 1 percent higher than Brady's. Obviously, because of the relative similarity, accuracy cannot be determined by accuracy alone. Thus, we must examine film. If one looks at Brady's spiral on the long ball as well as the intermediate and short passes, it is slightly erratic. Manning's is "the tightest spiral the NFL has ever seen" according to ESPN.
In addition to having a fantastic spiral, Manning has phenomonal arm strength. Though his 4020 passing yard per season average does not directly prove Manning's amazing strength, his combine performances and general image in the football world does. There is a reason Peyton Manning was the first overall pick in the 1997 draft. His cannon arm led his college, Tennessee, to the Orange Bowl. It also earned him second place in the Heisman Trophy voting. His deep ball to Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne is so epic that it is still one of the defining plays of the NFL.
Manning has the best pocket presence in the NFL. This is apparent by the times he has been sacked. 202. In contrast, Brady has been sacked 203 times while playing in 4 less complete seasons as a starter than Manning. In film, Manning is always wary of his surrondings and is famous for the ways he so elegantly moves in the pocket.
Manning's intelligence is unparallelled in football. He is the only quarterback in the NFL who either calls his own plays, runs the no-huddle offense or audibles more than fifty percent of the time. Brady may be a great quarterback, but his plays are called by his offensive coordinator most of the time. Manning giving blocking assignments to his OL and barking out routes to his receivers is one of the greatest memories in an NFL fans life. His great intelligence helps him to call these plays. Luckily for the fan, his playcalling and understanding of the game is apparent on most of his plays.
Many people would hail Brady as the greatest QB of all time because of his superbowl record. 3-1. Winning superbowls is great but it is not the way to measure a QB. Terry Bradshaw won four superbowls. Dan Marino won none. Does that mean the "Blonde Bomber" is better than Marino? Brady has been elected to four pro bowls. Manning has been to eight. Brady has been an All-Pro twice. Manning has been leading the All-Pro team six times. Brady is a one- time NFL MVP. Manning has held that honor two times. He has also won the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award. Manning also holds a number of individual career records:

Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards (1999–2004, 2006–2007): 8
Most consecutive seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards (1999–2004): 6
Most consecutive seasons with at least 25 touchdown passes (1998–2007; current): 10
Most games with a perfect passer rating (career): 4 (includes 1 playoff game)
Most consecutive games started to open a career by a quarterback (current): 170
Highest passer rating (season, 2004): 121.1
Most consecutive games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 13 (games 1–13, 2004)
Most consecutive games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 5 (games 7–11, 2004)
Most games with at least 4 touchdown passes (season, 2004): 6 (tied with 1984 Marino)
Most games with at least 5 touchdown passes, career: 7 (includes 1 playoff game)
Highest career TDs/game average for any QB with at least 150 TDs: 1.90 TDs/game
Highest career passing yards/game average: 260.2
Highest career completions/game average (min. 100 games played): 21.7
Most consecutive games with a passer rating over 100: 9
Most seasons with 12+ wins as a starter (regular season only): 6
Only QB with at least 12 wins as a starter in 5 consecutive seasons (2003-2007)
First QB to defeat the other 31 teams in the regular season
He was also elected to these awards:
2004 AFC Offensive Player of the Year
2004 Fedex Express Player of the Year
2005 Best Record-Breaking Performance ESPY Award
2005 Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award
2005 Pro Bowl MVP
2007 Super Bowl MVP
2007 Best Championship Performance ESPY Award

Peyton Manning's 2006 Superbowl and Superbowl MVP complete his impressive resume that support my case that he is the best QB in the NFL. He is also extremely durable and holds the second-longest starting streak in NFL history. Because of these facts, Peyton Manning is not only better than Tom Brady and the rest the the NFL's quarterbacks, but is also one of the best Quarterbacks of all time. Tom Brady's career QB Rating, a combination of a quarterbacks statistics, is fourth highest in NFL history at 92.2. Manning's is third at 94.1.

I wish my opponent luck in this debate.

>I would like to take this opportunity to thank my opponent for his response.

>Before moving on, I would like readers to notice that my opponent hardly recognizes the existence of my first argument and therefore, he drops it and forfeits all of the points made.

>My opponent refers to Manning's great 2005 season in his opening remarks. Though this was a very good season, I think my opponent meant the 2004 season. Though he mentions this, he does not, however, mention Tom Brady's great season last year. Brady's 2007 year was even more historic than Manning's. In addition to going 16-0, Brady had 50 touchdown passes, one more than Manning's mark of 49. He also had more yards, 4,806 to 4,557. His completion percentage was also higher than Manning's, 68.9 to 67.6.

>One thing that my opponent does not mention is that Peyton Manning has had much better receivers to throw the ball to (career). He had a set of the most excellent players in the league at the time. At receiver he had Marvin Harrison (Pro Bowler), Reggie Wayne (now a Pro Bowler), Brandon Stokley (over 1,000 yards), a tandem of Marcus Pollar and Dallas Clark at Tight End, and a Pro Bowl running back in Edgerin James. Tom Brady had nothing near this until 2007, during which hiis numbers outshone Manning's vastly.

>I do not understand what my opponent means by "accuracy cannot be determined by accuracy." This contradicts itself. Accuracy can be determined by a touchdown to interception ratio. Brady's is better, 2.29 to 1.99.

>My opponent says that Peyton Manning's arm strength is extremely high. While this is true, so is Brady's.

>When my opponent says that Manning was sacked less than Brady (career) he does not take into account that Manning has had better offensive lines his entire career.

>My opponent heralds Manning as having "intelligence unparalled in football" because he calls plays so often. Calling plays does not actually prove any intelligence. Touchdowns to interceptions ratios do justice here for not only this but all of the categories. Manning's is 1.99 while Brady's is higher at 2.29.

>My opponent closes by commenting on Manning's higher quarterback rating, but Manning, in fact, had better receivers and offensive lines throughout his career so this would obviously be true.

>I thank my opponent for his response and eagerly await his next one.

Obviously, my opponent believes that Manning is a product of his weapons. Is this not true for Brady? In the Patriots' superbowl years, the offense was not in the top five. It is the QB's responsibility to put points on the board. Obviously, Brady did not perform well enough to put his team in the position to win on his own. Instead, Brady relied on his defense to keep the Patriots in games. In contrast, when Manning played, his defense was ranked either last or near the bottom of the league. He had less overall Time of possesion to work with. In addition, per year, Manning touched the ball much less than Brady. As for Manning's great offensive line and Brady's porous line, Matt Light, Logan Mankins and Dan Koppen (Pro Bowlers), were all drafted before 2004. In addition, Cory Dillon of the Patriots rushed for over 1,600 yards in 2004. It is hard to believe that a line that could not allow Brady to flourish as a fantastic QB would help a RB gain 1600 yards.
My opponents view on Brady's recieving core before 2007 is completely irrational. Deion Branch is a pro bowler and a Superbowl MVP. Couple his speed with a good RB like Corey Dillon and a great offensive line and a good offensive line, no wonder Brady seemed god-like.
My opponent also mentions how Brady's 2007 season was the real image of Brady. The Patriots had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, a top 5 defense, a great special teams unit and arguably the best recieving core ever compiled. Brady had possibly the best reciever who ever lived in Randy Moss, the most dangerous possession reciever in the NFL in Wes Welker and a speedy Donte Stallworth for deep routes. If anything, Brady was a product of the team.
When Manning had his record-breaking season, he didn't have a top 10 defense, a great special teams or two proven deep options. (Reggie Wayne was still developing in 2004)
My opponent completely ignores half of my critera and thus he cannot even argue his case if he has no response for my case.
My opponent fails to realize Manning's great football intellect as he doesn't realize everything that sophisticated defense trys to do in response to an offense. There is a reason Brady doesn't call his own plays as often as Manning.
As for my opponent's futile attempt to compare Brady to Manning in measurable, I will say this- Manning was the first pick in the draft. Brady was 199th. Scouts must have liked Manning's measurables.
Whn I said accuracy is determined by accuracy, I meant accuracy is determined by completion percentage. However, because Manning and Brady have similar numbers in this category, we must examine film. If one looks at Brady's spiral on the long ball as well as the intermediate and short passes, it is slightly erratic. Manning's is "the tightest spiral the NFL has ever seen" according to ESPN.

I wish luck to my opponent and await his response.

>I thank my opponent for his response.

>As my opponent says, I believe that Peyton Manning is a product of his team. This is, however not true for Tom Brady. My opponent says that it is "the QB's responsibility to put points on the board." This is entirely false because there are eleven players on the field for the sole purpose of scoring points. If the other players even have a reason to bother existing on the field, they share the responsibility. The quarterback is undoubtedly the leader of the offense, but he must rely on his teammates. No quarterback in history has ever been the only player to score points for his team. As my opponent neglects to say, Peyton Manning had much more talented teammates.

>My opponent goes on to say that if a running back can flourish, a quarterback can do the same. This is not necessarily true. Offensive linemen have two main tasks: pass blocking and run blocking. No lineman is equally as talented at both. Tom Brady's offensive line happens to be more skilled at run blocking than at pass blocking. This means that Brady was and still is constantly under more pressure that Peyton Manning is. Also as my opponent neglects to mention, Corey Dillon was a power back, rushing for 4.3 career yards for carry. During his 1,600 yard year, Corey Dillon caught just 15 total passes, less than one per game. He was of little use to Tom Brady who was under more pressure when he did pass as Corey Dillon rushed 345 times compared to a 247 league median for starting running backs.

>My opponent refers to Tom Brady as a product because of his receiving core. To prove him wrong, I will list the components of the cores on each team:

Randy Moss (Patriots) vs. Marvin Harrison (Colts)

Marvin Harrison has had a longer career than Moss, but he has been one of the most consistent receivers in the game. He compiled 1,146 yards or more in eight straight seasons. Randy Moss was coming off of a terrible 42.5 yard per game season with Oakland. He was the subject of controversial remarks entering Brady's best season.

Wes Welker (Patriots) vs. Reggie Wayne (Colts)

Wes Welker was a virtual nobody in the world of football after a 687 yard season with Miami. He was, if anything, a product of Tom Brady's passing. Reggie Wayne entered the season as the young wide receiver that everyone knew they could expect great things from. He showed that he deserved this, gaining over 1,200 yards that year.

Donte Stallworth(Patriots) vs. Brandon Stokley(Colts)

Entering the 2007 season Donte Stallworth look great, coming off of a good season with Philadelphia. He ended up underperforming and dropping many passed. He had difficulties finding open space and was incompetent when he found it. This is why the Patriots chose to decline the option they had in his contract. Stokley entered the 2004 season as Wes Welker did in 2007 - as a nobody. Gaining just 211 yards the year before nothing was expected of him. He impressed, gaining 1,077 yards in his first full season.

Benjamin Watson (Patriots) vs. Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard (Colts)

Benjamin Watson, like so many other Patriots players, entered the season as a nobody. He went the entire season much like this with the exception of the end, gaining just 389 yards. His blocking was average but did not impress. Clark and Pollard were not widely known; still, they were better known that Watson was. They combined for 732 yards and kept their quarterback, Peyton Manning, safe in the pocket with excellent blocking.

Lawrence Maroney (Patriots) vs. Edgerrin James (Colts)

Lawrence Maroney was young at the beginning of the 1007 season and still is a young running back today. He averaged 4.5 yards per carry and had just 4 catches all season. Edgerrin James was able to be productive in 2004. He entered the year as a star running back and rushed for 1,548 yards on 4.6 yards per carry. He had 51 catches, 6th in the NFL. All of these statistics are higher than those of Maroney's.

As you, reader, can clearly determine; the Colts easily had a better receiving core than the Patriots (unlike what my opponent says).

>My opponent claims that I ignore half of his criteria while this is not true at all. The fact of the matter is that I responded to all of my opponent's points (accuracy, arm power, pocket presence (offensive line), intelligence, and finally accomplishments (theses cannot be addressed, they are facts while this debate is over an opinion)). The fact is, my opponent would not be arguing with me if I had ignored half of the things he said. There would be nothing to argue.

>My opponents seems to be confusing "the two sides of the ball." He claims that Manning did not have a top 10 defense. While this is true, we are debating over quarterbacks. Quarterbacks are, by definition, offensive players. The strength of Peyton Manning's defense was not a factor in his offensive production.

>Again, my opponent relates Peyton Manning's play calling to his intellect. During any given passing play, quarterbacks have multiple options as to where to throw the ball, the smarter quarterback can recognize how well he can throw the ball to his receiver as well as whether or not his receiver was open. Peyton Manning was obviously worse at this than Tom Brady because he has a lower touchdown to interception ratio (1.99 to 2.29).

>My opponent continues to relate the skill of a quarterback to his time in college. This is not a part of this debate as the topic is clearly the following:

Please notice the NFL part.

>I accept my opponent's confusing statement as a confusion of words. He, however, is incorrect when he says that "accuracy is determined by completion percentage." To be blunt, completion percentage is sometimes (not always) determined by accuracy. The reverse of this is invalid. A good measure of accuracy has always been a player's touchdown to interception ratio. It a quarterback throws an interception, he clearly has not made an accurate pass. Peyton Manning is losing in this category, 1.99 to 2.29, another point of mine my opponent had failed to address.

>All information which I used in this debate came from Yahoo Sports ( and Player Section (

>My opponent again claims that the tightness of Peyton Manning's spiral makes him more accurate. It does not in reality. It makes the ball easier to catch, but the ball will travel to the same place either way.

>I thank my opponent for this captivating debate and to him I say: may the best man win.

>To the audience: I hope that you have enjoyed reading this and I urge you to vote PRO. Lastly, I am the best man.

My opponent is simply wrong. Tom Brady has less experience and is less accurate, has a weaker arm and is less aware of his surroundings. My opponents valient effort was futile for everyone knows that Manning is better than Brady. My information came from ESPN player section and the NFL player section. (Online)

-if Wes Welker was such a nobody why would the Patriots give 2 picks to Miami for him (Including a second round pick)
-Ignoring his Oakland years where he has awful QBs and almost no offense, Randy Moss was the most consistent and high performing players in the leauge.
-TD to Int ratio has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy is hitting a receiver in the hands while their in stride. Its not Manning's fault he has to play with ball-hawking corners like Rashean Mathis and Cortland Finnegan. Brady has to face (Insert the best CB in the AFC East here) no-name corners.
-Power backs can be effective (ie "Sweetness" and Brandon Jacobs"
-Brady didnt have the measurables to be selected 1st overall
-QBs are affected by their defense. Amount of Possessions they have (His point is completely invalid)

The CON rests his case. *** CONTENT REMOVED BY CUSTOMER SUPPORT *** Vote for CON
Posted by manutdredseal46 7 years ago
Ok, I can see that. By the way, debate is CURRENT QB so Montana wouldn't work. Favre was number 2 for me.
Posted by crackofdawn 7 years ago
Either Brett Favre of Joe Montana. Right now I'm arguing Favre is better than Montana on a debate.
Posted by manutdredseal46 7 years ago
I read that (because told me you put it there). Out of curiosity, who do you think the best quarterback is?
Posted by crackofdawn 7 years ago
The voting has ended on this so I don't know if anyone will read this. I honestly disagree with both of them. However Con, your large paragraphs and form of writing don't go as easy on the eye as Pro's and therefore reduce the chance people will actually carefully look at your points. Try to present the information in a more reader friendly way.
Posted by manutdredseal46 7 years ago
For those of you who view comments, my opponent blatantly calls me a sex offender so I think I deserve to win the "better conduct" part of your votes.
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 7 years ago
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 7 years ago
Vote Placed by Badabing 7 years ago
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 7 years ago