PeacefulChaos
kyro90

Best Super Power

PeacefulChaos

PeacefulChaos

Pro

I thank kyro90 in advance for accepting this debate. We have both reached an agreement on what super powers we will be arguing for and what the rules will be.

BOP-

I, Pro, must prove that the ability to find anything you wish is a better power than invisibility.

My opponent, Con, must prove that the power to turn in invisible is better than the ability to find anything you wish.

Rules-

1. Although this should not be necessary, there will be no abuse of semantics, loopholes, and/or word play.

2. We can not exploit our powers to make them God-like nor can we use them to attain other powers.

For the purposes of this debate, "better" will be defined as "more useful".

I look forward to a fun debate.

kyro90

Con

Challenge has been accepted. Let this debate commence!
PeacefulChaos

Pro

1. Lost car keys? No problem!

Don't you just hate it when you lose your car keys? Well, if I had a car then I would too. Anyways, if you have the ability to find anything you wish, you can easily find your keys without any trouble at all. You can also find your remote, book, toy, sock, clothes, glasses, contact lenses, and more. These household items will no longer bother you by suddenly disappearing, since you will always know where they are.

2. Criminals on the loose!

If you have the ability to find anything you wish, then you can always know where criminals (or their hideouts) are. Not only would people consider you an extremely good detective, but the police would also pay you a large sum of money for finding criminals and the people they work for.

3. Serve your country.

The military has been having difficulties in foreign countries with problems such as landmines [1]. While these mines are intended for military vehicles, there are still 5,000 causalities as a cause of these mines. With your special abilities, you would be able to locate all the mines in a certain area, and the military can proceed to safely disarm them. Not only will you be saving a plethora of lives, but many people will also regard you as a hero.

4. Don't fail that test!

The power that I am arguing for will let you have the ability to memorize anything you want. See, since you have the ability to find anything you want, you can "find" all those memories that you could not remember; thus, it is unlikely that you will fail a test or quiz ever again, since you will be able to memorize everything you have seen before.

Conclusion-

At first glance, the power I am arguing for may not seem like much; however, it is evident that by having this super power, you can do a plethora of things. Heck, you could even "find" a nice girl to date you! The examples I have provided in this round are just a small glimpse of what you can accomplish with this power.

[1] http://www.strategypage.com...
kyro90

Con

Contradictions.....

1. Lost car keys? No problem!

What if these "Car keys" were already destroyed? What if they were sent so far or hard to get that it wasn't possible to get? There is also such a possibility that you could have detected the wrong car keys or anything. You could have gotten the wrong glasses, or wrong contact lenses. Especially if there are multiple that can be found within your area because it would be much hard to find it.

2. Criminals on the loose!

In this argument you specifically said "anything" you wish. Last time I checked, humans were not objects.[1]

3. Serve your country.

This may be just ridiculous but what if what you detected was in fact NOT a mine? Many people do in fact bury alarm clocks for the future to view and use.

4. Don't fail that test!

Did my opponent not just say in his first post that he is arguing that "Finding anything" is his power of choice? Because I do not seem to remember him stating that memorizing was another that he added.

Arguments

1. Undercover is certainly no problem!

Obviously considering the fact of invisibility, nobody could fin you if you were on say.... A top secret mission that you had to infiltrate someplace and maybe obtain a certain object. Since you cannot be spotted this job would be a sinch for you if you had invisibility. Hey, maybe you can stop at there snack bar on the way!

2. Behind enemy lines!

Because you have invisibility, the military would make great use of your talents. They can use you to go behind enemy lines while the war is going on and obtain information on there tactics or maybe just take out a few of there captains that are guarding the defenses.

3. Easy with a touch of cold blood....

If you had this type of ability in the date of say.... 1503 A.D Rome, Italy, and you were hired as an assassin then this would be immensely easy for someone of your talents to kill a measly person when you can never be seen. You could easily kill him and still have room for lunch.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
PeacefulChaos

Pro

Thank you for your speedy reply, kyro90.

1. Lost car keys? No problem!

First of all, the chances that your car keys have been destroyed or that they are so far away that you cannot get them is extremely slim and does not even remotely make sense. It is more probable than not that your car keys will be within your house, at your friends house, or somewhere that you have once been.

If they do happen to be destroyed for some strange reason, then your powers will not work, because these keys of yours no longer exist. This actually works in my favor, since you can use your powers to determine if certain things exist or not (i.e. where is heaven, where is hell, etc.). If they do exist, then you will know where they are. If they do not exist, then nothing will happen and your powers will not work; thus, you will know if they exist or not. You will have solved one of the greatest mysteries that have been troubling mankind for many years. (This should be regarded as an argument.)

Anyways, if they are too far away to obtain then that means it would have to be in a completely different state, country, or continent. Why in the world would your car keys be in a completely different country? If they are, then at least you know where they ended up.

Then my opponent claims that there is a possibility that you could detect the wrong car keys. He is essentially saying there is a possibility that your powers will not work. We are assuming that both powers (for the purposes of this debate) will work. Otherwise, I could just as easily say that his power will not work (without any evidence whatsoever, like he did to mine) and say that part of his body would not become invisible.

Remember, it does not matter how many car keys, contact lenses, or glasses there are in the area. If you want to find your car keys, then you will find them. You did not want to find just a pair of car keys; you wanted to find your car keys. Since there is only one pair of car keys that belongs to you, then you will know where they are. (If you own multiple car keys, then you will know where they all are.)

2. Criminals on the loose!

Even if you could not detect people, you could still find their hideouts or headquarters. Where they hide away is not a person; thus, you will be able to find this hideout, which in turn lets you find the criminals. Furthermore, you will be able to find evidence that police will not have been able to find (i.e. you could find a tiny fingerprint, bullet casing, gun, etc.).

Let us not forget that you could find the trail, path, or road that the criminals have followed, which would ultimately lead to them. Alternatively, you could find whatever the criminals have stole (since whatever they stole is likely to be an object).

3. Serve your country.

Again, my opponent attempts to claim that my powers would have failed. We are assuming that our powers will be working fine (for the purposes of the debate). Otherwise, I can claim just as easily that my opponent’s powers will not work.

Moreover, you wanted to find any bombs, in the area, did you not? It does not matter if there are a million alarm clocks beneath you; you will still be able to know where the bombs and/or landmines in the area are (because you asked for bombs and landmines, not alarm clocks).

4. Don’t fail that test!

As a result of procrastination, I have forgotten that we are not allowed to use our powers to make additional powers, and I apologize. I will drop this argument, and instead rephrase it so that it does not violate any rules.

Rephrased Argument-

Don’t you hate it when you have to search up a plethora of words in the dictionary? Instead of needlessly wasting your time flipping page after page, you can just turn to the correct page and get the definition you are looking for right away.

Likewise, when you are researching for your job, homework, or debate on the Internet, you can go immediately to the correct website that has all the information you need. This is so much easier than reading through many, many of websites, only to find that they have no value to you.

Con’s Arguments-

Instead of addressing my opponent’s arguments directly, I will simply point out that several common, recurring problems occur in all of them.

A) You cannot make your clothes invisible; thus, you will be forced to be stripped of your clothes on each mission.

B) You cannot make your weapon and/or spy equipment invisible either. I am not entirely sure how you will hide a sniper rifle that is floating in mid-air.

C) When you are invisible, you are blind. See, light reflects off your eyes so that you can see, and since no light reflects off of you when you are invisible (otherwise people would see you), you will not be able to see. This makes it extremely difficult to kill any enemies or discover who you are spying on (since you will not be able to see their faces).

D) In present times, security systems not only comprise of cameras, but also heat detectors, motion detectors, traps, and more. Becoming invisible does not stop these defense systems from detecting and harming you; thus, it is unlikely that one will have the skill to kill or spy on someone without getting caught or killed.

The last problem occurs in your last argument only. Your power was the ability to turn invisible, not the ability to turn time backwards; therefore, your last argument is invalid.

Additional Arguments-

1. You will be able to determine if certain things exist or not.

I had already mentioned this before, but I thought it would be beneficial to make this an “official” argument. For example, you could determine if heaven or hell exists or not. If your powers do not work and nothing happens, then it is evident that they do not exist. If they do exist, then you will be able to know “where” they are “placed”. (This also means that you will be able to understand heaven and hell, since many religions do not consider them actual, physical “places”. In other words, you will know how they exist as well as “where” they exist.)

kyro90

Con

I have no explanation for Pros arguments so I will jus have to make my own and refute his argument against mine...

Con's Arguments-

I am pretty sure that invisibility wouldn't be that much of a loser and not allow you to be naked to be entirely invisible.

Again, there is definitely no chance of you only having to be naked to be fully invisible.

Being invisible is like having an Octocamo or stealth. These pieces of equipment are from the real life like stealth game called Metal Gear Solid. In this game includes the Main Character Solid Snake. His mission is to use stealth and whatever he can find in his surroundings to his advantage. In the last Metal Gear game. Metal Gear Solid 4, you are equipped with a type of stealth suit called Octocamo witch, Ironically blends in with the background that you are on and makes you virtually invisible. Same goes for Stealth. Once you have it equipped in the Series, then you are absolutely invisible and can never be seen. (Unless you are fighting a boss of course)

I do agree that there have been new technology to stop intruders, but there is also new technology to get those things out of the way. There are many different things that can disable technology like Mines or cameras. One of those things are called Chaff Grenades. What these do is, once it explodes, it emits strange gas and can shut down any kind of technology within the vicinity.

What I am saying in this argument is that IF you were at that time having the power to be invisible, then it would be easy.
PeacefulChaos

Pro

I would like to remind both my opponent and readers that this is the final round; therefore, there can be no new sources and/or arguments. (I would also like to say that my computer has been persistently stubborn and refuses to allow me to bold words; thus, I will not be able to do so throughout this round.)

My opponent: "I am pretty sure that invisibility wouldn't be that much of a loser and not allow you to be naked to be entirely invisible."

Con is clearly trying to break rule two, which states that we cannot exploit our powers to make them God-like nor can we use them to attain other powers. He now is claiming that you would not only have the ability to turn yourself invisible, but also the ability to turn other objects invisible. Even worse is that he attempts to justify this by saying ". . . invisibility wouldn't be that much of a loser . . ." This is clearly a conduct violation.

My opponent: "Again, there is definitely no chance of you only having to be naked to be fully invisible."

This part of my argument was to ask you how you were going to hide your weapon and/or spy equipment, not that you will have to strip off your clothes on each mission. I think it would look a bit suspicious if people saw a floating sniper rifle or tape recorder in the air, don't you?

Furthermore, there is definitely a chance of you having to be naked to be 100% invisible. After all, the power you are arguing for is the ability to turn yourself invisible, not to turn objects invisible. Again, this is clearly a conduct violation on Con's part.

My opponent: "Being invisible is like having an Octocamo or stealth."

Sadly, the power to turn invisible is not a stealth suit; otherwise, you would not have the power to turn invisible. The only thing you would have is a suit, which is certainly not a super power. It is, rather, a piece of technology.

In addition, the only way you could become invisible is to have light pass through you, since if light were reflecting off you, then people would be able to see you. This also means it is passing through your eyes, and because you need light to reflect off your eyes so you can see things, then you will be blind. Unless, of course, you let light reflect off your eyes only but let the rest of your body be invisible; however, if you do so then I think people would find it strange to see floating eyes in the air.

My opponent: "I do agree that there have been new technology to stop intruders, but there is also new technology to get those things out of the way."

There are several main problems with this refutation.

A) How will you hide the technology that you are carrying with you? By the time you utilize it, you would have already been detected.

B) You will not know where people have placed the motion detectors, thermal sensors, or traps. After all, it is not as if there is going to be a huge neon sign saying, "WARNING: MOTION DETECTOR DEAD AHEAD."

C) It takes great skill to notice any hidden traps, motion detectors, thermal sensors, and more. You would not only have to know how to detect these defense systems, you would also need to know how to avoid them. Furthermore, you also need to be trained on how to use the new technology you speak of that will foil your enemy's defense systems. All these things require much training; it requires so much training that the power to become invisible has become next to useless. If you have to actually work to become a spy or assassin then there is no point in having the power to turn invisible. Not to mention that it takes a cold-blooded person to kill a living human being. Most people would not be able to bring themselves to even pull the trigger, let alone get past the defense systems. My power, however, does not require you to train. All you have to do is find things, and the police and/or military take care of the rest of it.

My opponent: "What I am saying in this argument is that IF you were at that time having the power to be invisible, then it would be easy."

The only problem is that you are NOT at that time.

Conclusion-

It has become evident that the power to turn invisible is not worth having, since you will ultimately be blind while invisible, you will be forced to become naked to be invisible, and becoming an assassin and/or spy requires extensive training, which defeats the purpose of a super power. After all, does someone who has super strength want to have to exercise? No, they do not need to exercise, since that is what the power (super strength) is for.

My opponent has also dropped all of my arguments. He agrees that the ability to find anything you want will lead you to be a hero, will lead you to solve some of the most annoying things in life (lost car keys, for example), and will allow you to complete your work and/or research much faster than before.

Moreover, my opponent has provided no sources whatsoever, whereas I have. He has also broken rule two, which counts as a conduct violation.

Thanks to kyro90 for a fun debate, and I hoped he enjoyed it as much as I did.
kyro90

Con

Well, this is kinda akward... It is clear that I will lose so I will just post my Conclusion

In conclusion, I believe that the ability to turn something invisible is better than having the ability to find things because of many reasons. You wont be able to be found, you could stage and easy assasination, and you can go behind enemy lines or sneak in an enemies base to obtain information. That is why I think that the power of invisibility is better than the power to find anything you wish.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Oh!!!!!! Now I get it!!! xD
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
xD Fail@kyro
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
A superpower is also defined as a very powerful country, kyro90.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol I was serious.... *_*
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
LMAO. Why does this sound so...
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I'm hoping that was a sarcastic comment, for your sake.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
What do you mean? I dont see how The soviet Union goes with Super powers.... *_*
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I agree completely. The Soviet Union or the U.S. would have been better choices.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
I love these debates. Both of those powers suck, by the way.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Dont worry, I will accept.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
PeacefulChaoskyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros arguments were well better
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
PeacefulChaoskyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: lol kyro. Alarm clocks? Anyways, Pro's arguments seemed superior and more convincing