IAlwaysWinDebates
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Best Trading card game.

IAlwaysLoseDebates
Started: 3/24/2014 Category: Games

IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

For this debate we will be debating what is the best trading card game. (From our childhood)

Rounds)

1) Acceptance/ opening statement.
2)Argument
3)Rebuttal
4)Rebuttal/ final statement.
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Con

I accept and my favorite trading card game from my childhood that I will be debating will be Yu-Gi-Oh! the trading card game that was based on Egyptology such as the Egyptian gods using monsters that had special powers and were summoned through cards.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

Well thank you for accepting the debate, for this I 'll be defending the case of Magic the Gathering. Now it wasn't as popular when we were kids but it was still something I avidly played, and love. Now please keep in mind with something such as Yu-Gi-Oh we are only talking about the card game, not the anime or manga.

Argument:

Magic the Gathering is as of now, the most popular trading card game, and it hasn't gotten that title for any reason, now first I will bring up some reasons why the game is great.

1) The learning curve, there are lots of different things you need to learn about the game such as what the effects do, but this could be said about most trading card games, and once you get the hang of it the learning curve is not that large.

2)Cost as a recreational game, you don't have to pay much money you can get a deck for 15$~, now of course if you wan'ted to get more, or get the rare cards you could also go and spend thousands.

3) With the growing popularity of the game growing, it would be easy to find people to play with and easy to jump back in if you ever wan'ted to.

Your turn IAlwaysLoseDebates.
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Con

I will state my reasons of why I think that Yu-Gi-Oh! is a better card game
Reasons:

1) It is also very affordable such as magic but once you have a deck you don't have to constantly upgrade. If you have a decent deck every card would always have a good use while in Magic a new card could possibly disable a outdated card.

2) As you also said, almost every card game takes skill and has a learning curve mainly because they are built on strategy. So this reason applies to both card games that we are debating.

3) It has many different styles to playing and you can win in many different outcomes. Such as using primarily trap/trap cards or going on the offensive using monsters.

As you said that a magic deck is around $15, which Yu-Gi-Oh! is also based around, but if you are constantly playing Magic and want to continue winning you are almost forced to upgrade and you would have to pay more as my opponent has stated; though that is a downfall, mainly because many people who play the game are not able to afford to continue to buy cards and start to get tired of the game because of their disadvantage. You say that it is the top card game, but as many card/board games go it will soon fall as other games or higher technology games come to take its place just like what happened with Yu-Gi-Oh! We should also take into consideration that my opponent said that it is a mix between amount of players and opinion.

Your turn, Mr. IAlwaysWinDebates
IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

Debates in general are made around fact and opinion and for you to say that my argument(s) were bad, because I used a mix of opinion and amount of players is wrong, in a debate you should use a majority understanding to get what you need or desire which in this case was taking into account the number of players.

Rebuttal-

You say that Yu-Gi-Oh is more affordable than Magic, due to the constantly upgrading of decks, now I will agree that in magic you need to 'upgrade' it more in you wish to play in tournament, but the same thing can be said and Yu-Gi-Oh, I went and looked at the standard tournament deck for Yu-Gi-Oh and its around 300-600$ if not more, so when you tell me to the average person it would be possible to play in a tournament you would be wrong, the average recreational player that I talked to would never spend over 50$ for a single deck.

Next you go off to say 'It has many different styles to playing and you can win in many different outcomes. Such as using primarily trap/trap cards or going on the offensive using monsters' when the same can be said about Magic, the trap cards in Yu-Gi-Oh are basically the same as the Scorsese, enchantments and Instants that can be found in Magic and of course the monsters.

Next statement;

You say 'You say that it is the top card game, but as many card/board games go it will soon fall as other games or higher technology games come to take its place just like what happened with Yu-Gi-Oh' Now yes at a time Yo-Gi-Oh was the top selling card game, but it has fallen off, and why do you think that is? Things that are the best stay on the top and are the best, when Magic has been around and has always been near if not on the top as it is now.

Your move my dear IAlwaysLoseDebates
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Con

The first thing I would like to put my input on is that you stated,"Things that are the best stay on the top and are the best, when Magic has been around and has always been near if not on the top as it is now." as you can see, you claimed that it will remain the best and stay at the top, but how do you know? just like your other statement, "Such as using primarily trap/trap cards or going on the offensive using monsters' when the same can be said about Magic, the trap cards in Yu-Gi-Oh are basically the same as the Scorsese," just the fact that these games are so similar for all we know in a little time there could be a new card game that barely has any differences from previous card games such as the two we are debating, and just because it is new and may have different creatures/monsters it could be the most popular game for many years.
So by what you have said both games cost money, require skill and knowledge, and most of all have the same style except Magic uses colored decks as a strategy and Yu-Gu-Oh uses monster combinations, but both use regeneration and many more strategies that make the card games fun and playable. So I guess that it all boils down to not style, but what characteristics people like about the games. If they are hardcore in card games no matter which one they choose they will have to put money down, If they love the strategy both share similar strategy, If you enjoy the creatures, both offer creatures. So just think maybe these two card games are not so different.
I am looking forward to your final statement, IAlwaysWinDebates.
IAlwaysWinDebates

Pro

I couldn't agree more to what you've said. Both are fantastic games and require the same basic skills. This was a fun debate Mr.IAlwaysLoseDebates or should I say Taylor.
IAlwaysLoseDebates

Con

Nice and quite realizing debate, IAlwaysWinDebate. Or should I say Lucas.
Posted by IAlwaysLoseDebates 3 years ago
IAlwaysLoseDebates
That is what you say, but wait I haven't played my next card yet... no pun intended.
Posted by zwenne14 3 years ago
zwenne14
Oh no.... It is definitely Magic
Vote Placed by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
IAlwaysWinDebatesIAlwaysLoseDebatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hmm.....lots of opinions made. both arrived at a conclusion 'choose what you like', so the only argument to judge was costs. Con made arguments that Magic requires a constant upgrade in order to keep winning while Yu-Gi-Oh needs only a balanced deck. Pro's rebuttal to this was an unverified $300 claim at making a good Yu-Gi-Oh deck for competition. I am stuck at this point. Without sources, Pro's claim was blank, but it directly contest pro's resolution. I'll have take this on common sense, a deck costing 300? it doesn't really makes sense. That rebut did not successfully refute Con's point of uprgading decks, thus points to him.