socialpinko
tvellalott

Best rap/hip hop song

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

socialpinko

Pro

I've done a lot of serious debates so I decided to do a fun debate on the best rap/hip hop songs. Every round each debater will post one song. Whoever posts the best song in the eyes of the voters will win that specific round. Whoever wins more rounds wins the debate and gets all seven points. Here is my first song. I will start out with one of the best rap songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
tvellalott

Con

Notorious Big - Everyday Struggle

This is probably my favourite Biggie song. He absolutely kills it on this track. It's been remixed a million times, but this is the original version. Unfortunately it doesn't have a video clip.
socialpinko

Pro

To my opponent, why did you decide to go with 'Everyday Struggle' when the clear choice would have been 'Niggas Bleed'? Oh well, here's my song. 'It Was a Good Day' by Ice Cube.
tvellalott

Con

Can't Knock the Hustle - Jay-Z feat. Mary J. Blige
Why? Because my taste is clearly superior to yours, obviously.
Here is another classic for the voters listening pleasure.
socialpinko

Pro

I will call your Jay-Z/Mary J. Blige collaboration and raise you a Tupac/Eminem/50 Cent collaboration. Here's 'Hail Mary'!
tvellalott

Con

I don't even need to say anything.
socialpinko

Pro

We saw an Ice Cube song and now I'm busting out a Dre song. Now all we need iis something by Eazy-E!
tvellalott

Con

If I was going to do an Easy E record, it would hands down be Boys in the Hood, but I was listening to random tracks today and this one popped up. So, keeping in the theme of first album tracks, here's the illmatic track, NY state of mind from Nas. This one blew my mind the first time I heard it and my hip hop taste was changed forever.
socialpinko

Pro

For my last round I posted Eazy-E and Tupac. Two of the best rappers inthe game hands down. Now I've got all of the original boyz 'n' the hood. Anyways enjoy and vote for me. I can't remember if I'm Pro or Con.
tvellalott

Con

OK, to top of my excellent list of songs, here is Kanye West's breakthrough track "Jesus Walks". Kanye West is fast becoming on of my favourite rappers. I hope he does a track with Eminem soon!

I had high hopes with my opponents first two song choices, but I feel like he is relying on artists with his last three songs, rather than excellent songs.

Happy listening and happy voting!
(If people could break down their voting into each round, that would be awesome.)
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
TV: @Feverish, erm three of my songs were from NY rappers. :P

Yeah, 3/10 videos, 4/15 rappers is nowhere near enough NY imo. The sun rose in the east.
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
I think I'm going to have to post another one of these. I could have made better decisions. I went for first album tracks for some reason.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 5 years ago
GeoLaureate8
RFD:

Round 1: Con - Very close, but Biggie edged it.

Round 2: Pro - It Was A Good Day by Cube is simply a classic, much greater than Can't Knock the Hussle.

Round 3: Pro - The Hail Mary Remix with Tupac, Em, and 50 is better than the NWA track. NWA is great, but Fvck da Police is not their best track.

Round 4: Pro - Forgot About Dre easy. NYSOM, is class, but musically not as good. Dre and Em just killed the track.

Round 5: Pro - Kanye sucks. That Eazy E mix sounded nice over that This Is How We Do instru
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
@Feverish, erm three of my songs were from NY rappers. :P
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
Round 1 - Pro. Tough one to call, I rate Biggie over the Geto Boys and there's tunes by both I would have picked over these, such as Mind Playing Tricks or Do It Like A G.O from Geto Boys, Kick In The Door or Dead Wrong from Biggie. Overall though it's probably one of the best Geto Boys tunes and not one of the best Biggie tunes (imo). Really close but Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta just comes out on top for me, it's a really dope beat.

Round 2 - Pro. The Ice Cube is an obvious choice but it is way better here I think, the Isley Brother's sample kills it. I'm not a massive JayZ fan and I don't think he's at his best here. The debate is about the best hip hop/rap song, so Mary J's sublime pipes can't save Jigga here.

Round 3 - Con. No contest, F-ck Da Police sh1ts on the half arsed posthumous Tupac colab. Dope beat, tight raps, universal message, theatrics, F Da Police is a classic.

Round 4 - Con. Another close one, one of Em's best joints, one of Nas's best joints. NY State Of Mind is the anthem here though and gets my vote, absolutely sick beat from Preemo

Roud 5 - Con. Don't really rate either tune particularly highly. Easy tends to annoy me a bit (RIP no diss) but so does Kanye. Again the beat and overall production is an important factor here and I'll vote Kanye mostly on that.

Overall great debate guys, way too much left coast and not enough NY for my liking though.
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
I did know you liked that song Danielle, but I honestly didn't know it was your favourite track. It's definitely my favourite Biggie song as well. I feel like if you could take the crack-dealing lifestyle so many rappers talk about and turn it directly into a song, that would be what would come out. I disagree that it's not his lyrical best and definitely among his best tracks.

I could have easily won this by appealing to my audience, but I didn't. I'm betting most people won't even know who Nas is. My favourite rapper is Eminem but because my opponent used two Eminem songs, I didn't put "The Way I Am" or "Still Don't Give a Fvck" which are my favourite songs.

I don't regret putting Jesus Walks as my 5th song choice. I fvcking love that song and I love Kanye West. His got
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
----------- MY RFD -----------

I should start by saying that I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and as such I have a special place for Biggie in my heart. I have also been vocal about "Everyday Struggle" being my favorite Biggie song, and I think it's kind of convenient that THAT's the song tvellalott chose to use -- because that is not the most popular Biggie song by any means. Nor is it his lyrical best, nor is it his best track. So hmm I'm a lil suspicious about this selection, but needless to say I think it's a better song than "DIFGTBAG." That is surely a classic, but I prefer Biggie in this round.
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
As for R2, Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day" wins in my opinion. I'm iffy about Jay Z in general (though he undoubtedly has some good songs) and this one isn't among his best. Also, I love Mary J. Blige but I find her part in that song to be really annoying. Ice's song has such a smooth flow which I love lol it's part of the reason I love Biggie so much. He makes me just wanna chill hard and smoke blunts to the face with pretty girls.

Round 3 is interesting. Hail Mary is my favorite Tupac song, but I think Eminem and 50 Cent did such a sh!tty job. First of all Em's lyrics are seriously lacking in his verse which is a damn shame because that's among his strengths. Second of all his creativity in this song is absolute sh!t. Not only are his lyrics somewhat repetitive (we get it -- he likes ecstasy lol we all do) but his flow was monotonous and very reminiscent of Tupac's. The best remakes nod to the original but improve it by bringing some of the newer artists' original flare. Eminem didn't do that one iota and 50 of course just perpetuated the same flow just with even more boring lyrics. Eh it'd be hard for any song with 50 to win really :P But Fvck Da Police is a classic, and I prefer the song.

Round 4 was undoubtedly my hardest choice!!! It'd be easy to go with Nas as the winner cuz that song's a classic and is clearly just dope as fvck. But if I had to listen to one of those songs all day, I would pick Forgot About Dre as a personal preference. So I'm torn and decided that I'm not gonna decide the winner by round anyway cuz it'd be too tough :P Tie.
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
Round 5 was pretty easy and goes to Pro hands down. It's not because I'm not a huge Kanye West fan (though I'm not... he's oooookaaaaay) but just cuz I think that song is annoying and not among Kanye's best. Even Kanye's best would be hard pressed to win a best rap song contest; HOWEVER, I think tv was right in the last round that it should not be about who has the biggest and best names but what songs are better. Kanye's "Stronger" was just hot, period. Not the best rap song by any means but I know I for one had a lot of fun one summer going to clubs and having a grand ol time when that song came on. Anyway I just think the collaboration Pro presented was really good! It's one of the few remakes that is very cohesive and every rapper sounds good. I really like the way the person put that together. I love the song and it was a nice change of pace from the earlier chill songs.

R1 - Con
R2 - Pro
R3 - Con
R4 - Tie
R5 - Pro

So the way I'm gonna judge the winner, since the resolution says they're on the quest to post the best rap songs is to rate each individual song between 1--10 and then see who posted the better songs overall.

Pro's R1 gets a 6. Nice and safe. However Con's R1 is also safe because he knows I talk about that song and have posted it for others (like Rob, who also likes it and quotes it) so perhaps he was appealing to the audience. However the song is just overall better and gets an 8.

Pro's R2 gets a 7 and Con's gets a 5. Pro's R3 gets a 4 and Con's gets a 7. In R4 Pro and Con both get 7s. In R5 Pro gets an 8 and Con gets a 5.

Pro 6, 6, 4, 7, 8 -- 31

Con 8, 5, 7, 7, 5 -- 32

Ugh so Con wins by a *small* margin. I almost feel bad voting lol but somebody's gotta win.

Ps. m93's comment about needing moar Eminem makes me nervous about who's going to be judging this -_-
Posted by m93samman 5 years ago
m93samman
I need to listen to all of these tracks. I haven't heard all of them, but I definitely recognize all of the names.
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Great debate! Rounds 1, 2, and 5, go to tvellalott, as i feel hesongs had better pae, rythym, flow, and were just better songs in general. Same goes to round 3, and 4 fo social pinko. Fun debate guy!
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 5 years ago
GeoLaureate8
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 1: Con - Very close, but Biggie edged it. Round 2: Pro - It Was A Good Day by Cube is simply a classic, much greater than Can't Knock the Hussle. Round 3: The Hail Mary Remix with Tupac, Em, and 50 is better than the NWA track. NWA is great, but Fvck da Police is not their best track. Round 4: Forgot About Dre easy. NYSOM, is class, but musically not as good. Dre and Em just killed the track. Round 5: Kanye sucks. That Eazy E mix sounded nice over that This Is How We Do instru
Vote Placed by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: See comments.
Vote Placed by lliwill 5 years ago
lliwill
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good choices
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: First Round easily Goes to Con Second easily Goes pro Thrid was definetly a tie on the fact that both had great songs by a multitude of artist. Fourth Round Goes to pro on the fact that Eninem was featured if it was only dre, Then Con wouldv'e got it. Then final Round goes to Pro again becuase Kanye West Likes fish dicks.
Vote Placed by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
socialpinkotvellalottTied
Reasons for voting decision: My RFD is in the comments section.