A-ROD
l2jperry

Best ska band: Streetlight vs. All

A-ROD

Pro

Streetlight Manifesto is the greatest ska band around.
Their unique ska sound has made them popular to many around the world. They are musical geniuses and some of their songs are the catchiest out there.
I'm sure that you will agree that their version of Keasbey Nights is much better than Catch 22's even though Tomas Kalnoky was the lead singer for both of them, the music and some of the lyric changes directed at Catch are usually better.

If you agree, you don't have to bother debating.. Unless you want to.
l2jperry

Con

While I do agree that streetlight is an amazing band, I would not consider them the "best" one. There are many other great ska bands.

To name a few:

1. Mustard Plug
2. Big D and the Kids Table
3. Reel Big Fish

My problem with Streetlight:

1. Poor Recording Quality:

- Although this is normal for the type of band they are, there are other ska bands who put much higher quality in sound on their recordings. I've heard countless mistakes on their recordings, that a professional band would have fixed.

2. Lacking in Writing Diveristy:

- Their songs don't verge to far from their normal sound. I would like to see them take their music in some more direction. Also, their lyrics are sometimes overused. A common hook in their song's have to do with guns.

"I've got a gun in my head, but the gun won't cock..."
"9mm and a Three Piece Suit"
"When they're coming for me i'll be sittin in my desk, with a gun in my hand"

They could do with a little Barack Obama change in the lyrics department.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, they are a great band, but certainly not the BEST ska band.
A-ROD

Pro

I agree that the bands you have listed are very good ska bands and I know that it's all a matter of opinion on which one is the greatest.
However, I do have rebuttals for each of your arguments:

1.Poor recording quality: I do not think that there is anything wrong with the recording quality of the songs. If you have any specific examples, could you point them out please? Besides that, A band can be good without having great recording quality. Actually, one of the best things about bands is being able to see them preform live. And the mistakes that you mentioned show that they're human and don't rely on computers to patch anything up. Things don't always have to be perfect to be good.

2. Repetition of lyrics: I agree that there are quite a few lyrics with bullets, guns, and my personal favorite: bullet-proof vests. To me, it's like an allusion to previous songs. It's something for the fans that have been with them since the beginning, something that reminds them what they love about Streetlight Manifesto.

3.Barack says "change" too much. lol... but yes, there are other ska bands and it really is all just a matter of personal opinion.
l2jperry

Con

1. Poor Recording Quality.

- There is definently something wrong with poor recording quality, it shows that the band doesn't care enough to present good standards to their listeners. As for the quality all the songs overall don't match up to that of which Reel Big Fish puts out.

- I agree that the best part of seeing a band is seeing them live. And making mistakes shows they are human, but mistakes should be left for the shows, not the recordings.

- I've never seen a Streetlight live performance, so I can't really evaluate. But I will say that Big D and the Kids Table and Mustard Plug gave some of the best performances i've ever seen.

2. Lyrics repitition.

- I suppose that it may be good for long time fans. But what about people who just are starting to listen to them? Even still, as a long time fan of any band, I wouldn't want them to sing about the same things all the time.

3. CHANGE! (Thanks Barack Obama, and now we also have Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney using the word a lot as well)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you are the instigator of this debate, I would like to see some points for why you believe them to be the "best."

Thanks brah!
A-ROD

Pro

Firstly, I would like to say that I have also seen Big D and it was amazing!

Now, I would like to list the Reasons I believe Streetlight Manifesto to be the best ska band:

1. Originality - Streetlight has an original sound that different than any other ska band around ( not including BOTAR/Old Catch 22). This due to the unique fast paced lyrics and amazing instrumental genius.

2. Personal preference - I believe them to be the best... so they are the best to me.

3. Feel/Emotion - Any one of Streetlight's songs can put you in a good mood. One of their songs is called "The Saddest Song" and it actually puts me in the best mood. Songs about the saddest things still have enough emotion in them to put people into good moods.

4. Stage performance - Even if you haven't seen them play a show live, you could always check them out on youtube. Every video that I've seen is of them giving a good performance.. The crowd is usually going wild and singing along. They are also usually never just standing around in one place

Finally, I would like to argue against my opponents arguments:

1. Recording quality - I have still yet to receive specific examples of when there were mistakes made. As far as I know, There are no problems with their recorded albums. However, I do not know about the quality of the first demo that they put out.

2. lyrics repetition - I would like to argue that new listeners would not know of the lyrical repetition. Only those who have listened to them for a while would be able to tell that there is an allusion in the lyrics to previous songs. By that time, the lyrics would be familiar and would agree with my previous argument on the topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the last argument I will be able to make so I'm hoping that you don't blow me out of the water right here R.J. Thanks for the fun debate.
l2jperry

Con

Will keep this short :).

1. Originality - There were plenty of Ska bands before streetlight, Bosstones, The Specials, etc. They play a genre that has been played before.

2. Personal Preference - Defintion for best - 1. of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: So I will not argure with you there. The best is an opinion. However, it's not a very valid point, because in my opinion, and i'm sure as well as many others, they are not the bset.

3. Feel/Emotion - Not everyone wants happy music all the time...

4. Stage Performance - Didn't have to time to watch a Youtube video, and I don't doubt they have a good performace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Recording Quality - I have nothing in general, other then the fact that the levels on all the recordings are bad. Bad mastering. The sound is not big, it doesn't have balls. You can tell the difference in recording quality when you listen to streetlight and then to SR-71.

2. Lyrics - Sooner or later they will get sick of hearing songs about the same things :).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I agree they are a good band, your debate puts you in a hard place. It's hard to prove to someone else that one band is the best ska band. I believe you made a valid point for them being good, but I don't think you gave enough reasons to say why they are better then say The Planet Smashers, Big D, etc.

*YAWN* It's bed time :D.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
Yes, you're right you did, I was just naming greats of the top of my head.

Anyway...recording quality could determine what is the best record but when strictly speaking of the band it really has no bearing on how good the band is. And that said, while Streetlight doesn't have top of the line recording quality it is probably about as good as it gets as far as ska bands. There aren't many huge studios giving studio money and backing to ska acts.
Posted by l2jperry 9 years ago
l2jperry
And while the recording quality doesn't determine the talent of the band, it does have an effect on who is the "best." It could be the greatest song ever written, but if it's never recorded, the majority of people will never hear it. And if it recorded poorly, the majority of people will never like it.
Posted by l2jperry 9 years ago
l2jperry
I did mention the Specials :D.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
While I am a fan of Streetlight Manifesto, there are a few things going against them being the greatest ska band ever.

Before I share these I should say that the "poor recording quality" argument is a moot point, as it's the producer and equipment responsible for this, not the skill of the band. I could take the most technically proficient musicians in the world and record them in a garage with a computer mic and it doesn't make them any less talented.

Anyhow, it seems both of you are discounting a lot of ska. Ska is a relatively old music with it's roots based back in jazz, and having emerged onto it's own in the 1950s. There are over 50 years worth of bands and many ska legends that would have to compete with this. (It seems more like the argument has been geared towards "who is the best third wave ska band.") Let us not forget The Slackers, The Pietasters, The Toasters, Judge Dread, The Skatalites, Madness, The Selector, The Specials, The Allstonians, and even Operation Ivy. These are all greats of ska (and in OpIvy's case skapunk) music who could be argued as greater than Streetlight.

Another big factor which hurts Streetlight in being deemed the best is their lack of output. They have two albums out (Tom redoing his own old music does not count) and I will admit that Everything Goes Numb is one of the great ska albums...but to me their second album doesn't register nearly as high. It is good...but not great. One great album and one mediocre album are not what it takes to qualify as the greatest of an entire genre.
Posted by Loofa 9 years ago
Loofa
the best ska band it sounds like chicken. duh
Posted by A-ROD 9 years ago
A-ROD
When I was talking about them not relying on computers to patch anything up.. I meant to say "to patch EVERYTHING up."
My bad..
Posted by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
THAT PICK WITH RP IS DEFIDENTLY PHOTO SHOPPED LOL JK JK
Vote Placed by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by diaxheart 9 years ago
diaxheart
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by Bunkka84 9 years ago
Bunkka84
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by A-ROD 9 years ago
A-ROD
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by Lacan 9 years ago
Lacan
A-RODl2jperryTied
Vote Placed by l2jperry 9 years ago
l2jperry
A-RODl2jperryTied