socialpinko
Amnesiac

Best song debate

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

socialpinko

Pro

Each round both Pro and Con will post a video of a song which will go head to head with a different song which the opposite side will then post. Voters will decide who posted a better song for each round and whichever side wins the most rounds will win all seven points. As this is a video debate sources, conduct, and spelling will not be important. Although if either side forfeits a round, the other side will win all seven points. Here is my song for R1. Good luck to whoever accepts this debate! My first song will be 'I'm only sleeping' by The Beatles from their album 'Revolver'.
Amnesiac

Con

Fantastic idea! This should be fun! Good choice of song too! But I'm afraid The Beatles got nothing on Sufjan Stevens. ^_^
socialpinko

Pro

I'm sorry but this is basically cheating because it's one of the best songs ever, 'When the Music's Over' by Jim Morrison and The Doors.
Amnesiac

Con

S Club 7. Just to shake things up.
socialpinko

Pro

I had to post this song even as I just posted a Doors song. This is 'Not to Touch the Earth' by Jim Morrison and The Doors.
Amnesiac

Con

classic sh!t
socialpinko

Pro

Now for a more recent song. 'Twisted Transistor' by Korn.
Amnesiac

Con

Your commie head can't deal with this rap, it'll blow yo mind, then sweep the bits of your bloody brain away with complex fast-paced flows.
socialpinko

Pro

Now to end this debate with one of the best songs ever recorded! May all viewers enjoy the glory that is 'Immigrant Song'! My free market worshipping opponent was apparently too busy throughout this debate to put out any good songs. My opponent was in all likelihood busy jacking off to pictures of Kropotkin and Proudhon! But I digress, good luck to my opponent in the voting period.
Amnesiac

Con

I see your Led Zeppelin and raise it one Curtis Mayfield.

I hope my state-worshipping opponent is enjoying the beauty that the Obama administration has bestowed upon the would by continuing the wars, the extraordinary rendition, the suspension of habeas corpus, the corporatism, the inflationism, the drug war, the Federal Reserve's cartelisation of the financial sector and all that sh!t. YAY DEMOCRACY!!! ♥♥♥

But anyway this has much fun! We've shared some good music this glorious day! Good debate bro. ^_^
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
I did not do this though. I simply posted songs that I like against songs that my opponent liked. It is up to the voters to decide who brought the better songs.
Posted by Loserboi 5 years ago
Loserboi
this debate is completely biased... you don't even have to like the songs yourself, just get onto any forum and see what the majority of people have agreed upon as their favorite genre
Posted by DylanAsdale 5 years ago
DylanAsdale
One thing I will note is that it was a really smart idea how Pro stuck to safe, tried-and-true artists that a lot of people are sure to like.
Posted by DylanAsdale 5 years ago
DylanAsdale
I was thinking of saying that this kind of debate isn't really fair as it relies 100% on opinion, but considering that the terms of the debate were mutually consented to, I guess there's really no reason to limit what kind of debate a debate here can be.
Posted by Amnesiac 5 years ago
Amnesiac
"I wouldn't have thought Straight To Hell would sit as well with you politically, being as it is about the children of US soldiers and Vietnamese people not being allowed American citizenship"

Well I think it's fundamently still an anti-war song, but I'm pro-immigration. I don't believe in citizenship + nations. Open borders and all that.

"S club 7? This has to be a joke."

You know you love it! ;)

"Overall: Tied. Fun to read and judge though."

Thanks for the commentary man! ^_^
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
Round 1: Pro
I've not really heard of Sufjan Stevens and I quite liked that song, but the Beatles selection is clearly better.
Round 2: Pro
S club 7? This has to be a joke.
Round 3: Con
Tough one, I love both bands but can think of much better songs by both. On balance, Pro loses originality by posting another Doors song, I'll go with Con
Round 4: Con
Pharoah Monche and Prince Po sh1t all over Korn. Great selection by Con.
Round 5: Tied
Just too hard to seperate one of the greatest rock songs ever and one of the reatest funk/soul songs ever. I'm leaning slightly to Con but this one is just too close to call.

Overall: Tied
Fun to read and judge though.
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
The Clash are one of my all time favourite bands and the messages in teir lyrics are a big part of that.

I would agree that Straight To Hell is a better song than Rock The Casbah, although there are a lot of Clash songs I'd rate above either. Have you thought much about the lyrics in Straight To Hell though? While Casbah is pretty much a straight up anti-war song, I wouldn't have thought Straight To Hell would sit as well with you politically, being as it is about the children of US soldiers and Vietnamese people not being allowed American citizenship and therefore seems to be calling for government intervention in those people's lives.

This debate is gonna be a tough one to judge, round 5 raised the stakes considerably.
Posted by Amnesiac 5 years ago
Amnesiac
their*
Posted by Amnesiac 5 years ago
Amnesiac
@ feverish, yeah I know they were leftists, but they were very anti-war and anti-authoritarian so I still connect with most of there lryics...

I'm actually wishing I posted this song now:

SO GOOD!
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
Amnesiac needs to sort out his identity crisis before posting The Clash and dissing socialism and communism. Some cool songs (and at least one terrible one) in this debate though.
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
socialpinkoAmnesiacTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better songs :)
Vote Placed by DylanAsdale 5 years ago
DylanAsdale
socialpinkoAmnesiacTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won all rounds for me. Sorry, con. :(