WKumar
Samcoder1

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad

Samcoder1
Started: 4/17/2016 Category: TV

WKumar

Pro

I believe that Better Call Saul is better than its predecessor, Breaking Bad, due to the far more complex character driven narrative. While Walter White will forever remain iconic, Jimmy McGill's trajectory is far less black and white than Walter's was. Walter was evil; no one could deny that. However, can we really say that about Jimmy? His moral failings are just as obvious, but can we condemn him in the same way?
Samcoder1

Con

I'm shocked to hear such blasphemy! Breaking Bad, although slightly predictable plot development, is far from the story of an evil man. It is about how a lovely kind father and husband (Hank from Malcolm in the Middle come to mind!) is driven through his impending death towards a life of crime and horror. It showcases his slow deterioration from thrill seeking to full blown control freak, and how by the end of it he makes even the worst fear him. The constant sneaking around trying to avoid Hank, and also hiding his double life is filled with suspense and excitement. All of this is said without taking into account the great performance of Aaron Paul as Jesse.

I loved Better Call Saul, but I must say mainly for my Breaking Bad memories. I'm surprised they managed to turn a spin off series into such a great success, however I think it pales in comparison against the behemoth that is Breaking Bad. It contains moments of excitement and you do grow to like Saul, but I still felt a lot of the situations perhaps too closely resembled those in Breaking Bad with meetings with drug lords and getting into trouble with criminals. Although a great show, I still think Better Call Saul is simply inferior with what I think is one of the best shows ever made.
WKumar

Pro

WKumar forfeited this round.
Samcoder1

Con

:) no reply?
WKumar

Pro

WKumar forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
WKumarSamcoder1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.