mrmoonlight99
nzlockie

Better song writer: John Lennon vs Paul McCartney

nzlockie
Started: 8/11/2014 Category: Music

mrmoonlight99

Pro

Personally John was the better song writer. Paul had some good ones, but to me he was more a "love song" writer. John had some love songs but he was more poetic and creative.
nzlockie

Con

I'm happy to accept this debate, not least because I actually believe in my side of the Resolution. Paul McCartney was a far superior song writer to John Lennon.

Since PRO hasn't already done so, I'll propose some simple definitions to get us started:
John Lennon and Paul McCartney refers to the main songwriting duo from the Beatles. Obviously.

This debate will centre around which of these two exhibit more talent in the art of song writing.

"Song Writing" shall include two main parts, music and lyrics. Both of these will carry their usual dictionary definitions, although it should be noted that when judging music, we're not actually judging pure skill at playing their instrument, only the composing and arranging of it.

It will be my contention that Paul, being a multi-instrumentalist and well-known control freak contributed more than Lennon to the music composition and arrangment side of the Beatles' tracks. And although many of his songs could lyrically be classified as love songs, this should in no way infer that they are any less thoughtful or creative than such Lennon masterpieces as, "I am the Walrus, goo goo g'choo, goo goo g'choo."

I will also be addressing the massive creative contribution McCartney has made in collaboration projects with a huge range of artists, and importantly, crossing over a wide range of genres. This shows tremendous versatility and skill.

I look forward to this debate and welcome my opponent's opening round.
mrmoonlight99

Pro

mrmoonlight99 forfeited this round.
nzlockie

Con

As my opponent has forfeited her round, I'll keep this short.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that regardless of who did more or which one was better, the song writing DUO of McCartney/Lennon was larger than the sum of its parts. But that being said, for submission on McCartney's prowess, I'll submit, "Yesterday".

Although officially recorded as another co-credited Beatles hit, ALL sources credit this as being Paul's song. In fact, Lennon himself did so, saying,

"Well, we all know about "Yesterday. I have had so much accolade for "Yesterday. That is Paul's song, of course, and Paul's baby. Well done." [1]

Yesterday went on to become the most covered song of all time. It was voted the best song of the 20th century by a BBC radio poll. It has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
The whole song was composed and performed by McCartney himself, making it the first Beatles song that the whole band didn't play.

Paul was also a gifted multi instrumentalist. He was able to play a wide range of instruments to a professional standard, despite being largely self taught. This placed him in a far stronger position than Lennon when it came to song composition and arrangement.
It was a poorly kept secret that McCartney often recorded his own drum track for the song after Ringo Starr had left. When Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, he replied,

"In the world? He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!" [1]

McCartney has also co-written a strong of hits with a number of other artists, such as Elton John, (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)
Stevie Wonder, (Ebony and Ivory) and Michael Jackson, (Girl is Mine and Say, Say, Say)
He is universally respected among his peers as a songwriter, and as an individual artist.

If my opponent comes back for her final round, I reserve the right to expand on all of these points, as there is a mountain of further evidence I could use to prove my point. However, for now I will rest my case here so as to give my opponent a chance to make her case.

Vote CON!

[1] http://m.imdb.com...
mrmoonlight99

Pro

mrmoonlight99 forfeited this round.
nzlockie

Con

Hey Jude, if you're reading this, extend all arguments and let it be.

Vote con.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
mrmoonlight99nzlockieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeits. Arguments to Con because Pro didn't respond (nor really make any him/herself). The source is borderline for points, but because Pro didn't provide any, I'll give source points to Con.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
mrmoonlight99nzlockieTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
mrmoonlight99nzlockieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture