MewxVenus
hannahbannana

Betty Boop should be shown on TV in modern day America.

MewxVenus

MewxVenus

Pro

I stand in firm affirmation of the reselution which states that Betty Boop will once again become a popular figure in entertainment once again.

Contention 1:
Current Popularity

If any of you have looked around at you local Wal*Mart or mall, then you've probably seen some kind of Betty Boop merchandise. These products practically sell themselves. She is already a popular character with the youth of America, even though they haven't seen the cartoons yet. Many adults remember her fondly from her 1930s reign over the cartoon domain. This means that there is already a potential audience available if she were to make a comeback.

Contention 2:
Previous Popularity

From 1930 to 1939, Betty was a majorly popular character, called "the Queen of cartoons" by many people, fans or not. While it is true that her popularity saw a decline after 1934, this was strictly due to the Censorship of Production Code enforced by The Motion Pictures Producers and Distributors Association. If Betty Boops cartoons were brought back in modern times, there would be no censorship laws detracting from her distinct charm.

Contention 3:
Quirks, Talent, and Individuality.

Betty Boop was a truly unique cartoon character. The idea behind her charcter was to create a cartoon based on the flappers of the 1920s. There has never been a character that was able to replace Betty Boop. In 1939, her animators tried to replace her with a character named "Sally Swing". However, this proved to be an epic failure. While it is true that Betty Boop herself was modeled after the singer Helen Kane, she is the only character modeled after Helen Kane. And if not, she was the only character modeled after that women who had such great sucess. Her vocal talents, girlish charm, and unique sense of fashion, especially when compared with today's, will help her once again climb to success.

I'll now wait respectfully for my oponent to post their arguments.
hannahbannana

Con

I stand in firm negation of the resolution which states that Betty Boop will once again become a popular figure in entertainment once again.
To begin attacking my opponents case, starting with contention one, looking at my local walmart, I see more new time cartoons like Chester cheeto, Mickey Mouse [[new version]]. I've been there three time within the last week and I have seen no merchandise with Betty Boop. Betty Boop products do not ‘sell themselves' because they are a falling fad. They aren't as popular as they once were. Youth of America in fact do not know much about her, or her show, because it isn't shown on TV anymore. Many adults see her as distasteful, and miss leading, so to say.
Next attack on contention 2; yes she was popular in the 30's. This is 2009. Next you cannot possibly say that Betty boop would be as popular now as she was then. The cartoon would have to be completely changed. No black and white, the characters would be different to match the new times, and new wants. The meanings would be totally different. It just wouldn't be the original Betty Boop.
Lastly, to attack your last contention. She wasn't very unique at all if you really look at her. She was in fact based on the flappers or the 20's. They really all looked the same. Hence her not being original. That brings me to my next attack, again with her being modeled after someone else. She isn't an original character.
MewxVenus

Pro

Hmm...

Contention 1

Well to begin with, maybe she's not as evident in this little town, but there are many but in other regions of the country where population is more dense, she is. The debate topic, in fact, is truly whether or not she should be on TV anymore, and so if her show came back around, the youth of America would know about it. These adults that see her as "distasteful" are not the ones I am referring to. Allow me to clarify by saying that I am speaking of the adults that grew up with her, so to speak.

Contention 2

On the issue of this cartoon being in black and white: In the nineteen eighties, two Betty Boop films were released on television in color, which proved to be quite successful. And If it wouldn't be the same Betty Boop, then this makes your point irrelevant. We are talking about bringing back Betty Boop as the character she is now remembered as. If she were completely changed, the topic would be more along the lines of "Betty Boop should be shown on modern TV through the altering of the plot to match the 2000s." The novelty of Betty Boop is that her cartoon's are about the 1920s. She wasn't just a random character created for the taste of the thirties. She was designed to remind people of the fun, care-free days of the roaring 20s. (1)

Contention 3

She was quite unique as most of the characters of her time were animals. Also, female cartoon characters were basically just the girl version of their male counterparts. (2) Saying that she's not unique because she's based on the flappers of the nineteen twenties is like saying Tommy Pickles from Rugrats is not unique because he's based on the babies of the nineteen nineties. And while it is true that her voice was modeled after that of Helen Kane, she is still an original character, as there were no other characters whose voices (or even personalities) were similar to hers.

Also, it's difficult to believe adults would find her "distasteful" seeing as children are allowed by said adults to watch some of the appalling things they do on MTV. Betty Boop is truly the lesser of two evils. She looks like an angel next to these girls on MTV.

(1) http://www.answers.com...
(2) http://bettybooptoons.com...
hannahbannana

Con

I'd first like to thank my lovely opponent for letting me express my opposite feelings on this..cartoon character, and thank her for this round.

To attack her first contention, in other regions maybe, but near where I live she isn't very recognized if at all. I'd also like to point out that you live down the street so its your town too. There isn't any talk of her in our little town, Boise..now even there, her success, so to say, is not very talked about.

Moving on to her second contention. I'd like to say that no one these days really enjoys black and white cartoons. They are hard to watch. Especially when they are as sexual as the one last night that made me feel very uncomfortable. And my point would in fact be very relevant because it would be changed, other wise it wouldn't be as liked as it once was. As I stated earlier that Betty Boop would not strive in the world now, as she did in the 30's. Times have changed greatly. It wouldn't be anywhere near popular now as I see that you stated later on in your attacks that we have MTV and what not. Well, when we have MTV why would people be watching an old black and white cartoon, that doesn't make sense half of the time. We are so used to color now a days as Americans, that watching a black and white, old, cartoon wouldn't be as enjoyable as you may think. And some of her episodes would put different idea's into young kids heads. She dresses very vulgar, and wears next to no clothing. She also smokes. And in the Bimbo and Ko Ko episode I recall the ring leader stroking her legs, and choking her when she would give him what he wanted. That is violent and dis taste ful.

To conclude, she may have been a unique character then, but now it just wouldn't be enjoyable. And yes, well, she wasn't very original if you actually looked at what she say'd, and did. It was just dis tasteful again. And yes she was modeled after then so it wasn't a very original thing at all. It wasn't her own look, it wasn't her own sound. It was someone else's.

Thank you for this round.
MewxVenus

Pro

I thank my amazing opponent for choosing to accept this round.

Well, I don't suppose we can say much about Boise since we don't live there. However, in one of the most influential states in America which I visit for long periods of time quite frequently (California) she is very well recognized.

I would once again like to point out that Betty Boop was colorized after the 30s. Even her originals were put into color. Betty Boop has great potential to be popular with younger audiences, since it is music based and because kids love cute characters. Many teenagers would love her for her quirkiness. Also, adults would more than likely support her since her episodes dealing with more difficult issues are presented in a comical and non-threatening manner. The episode you mentioned: the intent of these actions is not made obvious and is for the most part only understood by older audiences. She is more moral than MTV even if her dress is a little short. And while you did state that these would not be "enjoyable" this is strictly a matter of opinion.

Also, she was the only sucessful human, flapper based character of her time. This makes her very unique. Her sound may have been based on a singer of that time, but her personality was totally original. She would be a unique character today to because be honest with yourselves, how many cartoons do we have now a days starring flapper girls in the 1920s? As far as I know, none. People strive for the unique. The story line and character of Betty Boop is totally unique. Novel, if you will. If brought back today, her novelty appeal would draw in quite a large audience.

So in closing, Betty Boop should be put back on television because she was very unique in her time and still would be today, she was popular in her time, her products are popular now, and her novelty appeal would draw in audiences of all ages and genders.

Thank you for giving a fun, productive, challenging debate. <3
hannahbannana

Con

Good morning my lovely opponent, and anyone reading this. I'd first like to say, that if we lived in California that this debate would be different. But we live in little old mountain home, Idaho.

To begin, yes she was colonized in her two movies, not the cartoons. But if we changed them to color it would be, yet again, changing it. It wouldn't be the original. Great potential with the younger audience. If you mean, 7 year olds wanting to wear skimpy clothes, smoke, and have a highly annoying high pitched voice that only dolphins could understand. Then sure. I took my time to talk to some adults that were around when she first came out. Id like to say that they found her very cute, but now a days it wouldn't be anywhere near as successful. There was plenty of threatening happenings in the episodes. I do recall her being choked, fights, and being shot out of a cannon. Next, saying that only the older audience got the hidden meaning so to say, is irrelevant because it was very plain and clear. And yes, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I realize, but ask around, take a poll, people now just wouldn't enjoy this as much as my opponent is trying to say.

Moving on to her second rebuttal, I recall her character being changed from a dog, to a girl that resembles quite closely the flappers. The dog idea might have been a little more original than copying her style and looks from ladies in the 20's. She wouldn't be unique now because she wasn't unique then. Its 2009, things have changed. I recall plenty of movies referring back to them. IF brought back today, she might be popular for a month or two, then fall in ratings like she did in 1934.

So in closing, Betty Boop should NOT be put back on television because times have changed, we have enough cartoons now. The story line would just not be very interesting to viewers of all ages. They would all just be re-runs. It wouldn't be original.
And with that, I'd like to thank my opponent, and anyone reading this I urge you to vote CON. Thank you very much and have a lovely day.
Thank you for this round.
Posted by Venusheart 7 years ago
Venusheart
Well Betty Boop is a Populer Icon, and she is major populer

she will be coming back in broadway not cartoons

also she stole helen kanes style and voice, created by grim natwick

today she is on many merchandise so betty boop is populer as ever!
Posted by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
sorry Christie.
that last sentence was a little rough.
Posted by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
sorry that was supposed to say how about we debate lool
Posted by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
Haha. Yeah...well hey! How bout :) I'm uber bored.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Good for you - she's not very PC, but what the hey?
Vote Placed by hannahbannana 8 years ago
hannahbannana
MewxVenushannahbannanaTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
MewxVenushannahbannanaTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
MewxVenushannahbannanaTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
MewxVenushannahbannanaTied