Kaylee11
ejphoenix

Beyonce's halftime show

Kaylee11

Con

Beyonce's decision to dress up in support of the Black Panthers was uncalled for. Why is it when I white person does something it is completely racist, but when a black person does the same thing they are standing up for what they believe? What if white people went and paraded around in White cloaks? Neither of these two groups should be supported they are both racist and completely offensive! The Black Panthers support Black Power right? What happens when a white person goes around shouting White Power? That's not okay... There is no reason for there to be a New Black Panther Party... Racism isn't like it was in the past... We all use the same bathrooms, water fountains, schools, ect. The Black Panthers already served their purpose... Equality. And back to the black power... We have a black president that's about as much power as you are going to get. I also understand that they are against police brutality. We'll if anyone is stupid enough to do something so bad that they deserve to get shot then that's their problem, it should matter whether it was a White or black cop that shot a black or white criminal. In the society that we live in now a days there is no reason for racism. Everyone has equal rights right now... And all it seems is that the blacks don't want equal rights anymore, they want to take over. So please tell me what is wrong with this picture.
ejphoenix

Pro

Due to the fact that I have seen this issue crop up all over my recent Facebook feed, I am very eager to pick up this debate. I will be arguing that the hint towards the Black Panthers during the Super Bowl Halftime show was not uncalled for.

First, I would like to discuss exactly what the Black Panthers and Malcolm X stood for, or what they did not stand for. They may have been much more radicalized than Dr. Martin Luther King Junior and others of the era, but they have never stood as a symbol for violence. The Black Panthers supported the idea of equality, regardless of race or skin color, and "black power" (sort of a tangent, but "black power" does not mean anti-white - it is an expression of equality). That is all. In comparison, the opposing counterpart, the Ku Klux Klan, stood for the idea that African American citizens were lesser people, and did not deserve the same treatment that white American citizens deserved. That being said, to your point about why it is okay for a person of color to dress and reference the Black Panther movement but not okay for a white person to wear a KKK robe, it is because they stood for two different things - the Black Panthers standing for equality, and the KKK standing for racism.

Secondly, there actually isn't a lot of evidence to support the claim that racism is not like it was in the past. Of course we use the same bathrooms and water fountains and schools, but that in itself does not mean equality. Racism is still very much alive, even if it means something else like African American citizens being treated unfairly in the judicial system. According to NAACP, five times as many whites are drug users as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison at ten times the rate than whites*. African Americans also spend about as much time for drug offenses (58.7 months) as whites do for violent offenses (61.7 months)*.

I will happily agree that it shouldn't matter whether a white or black cop show a black or white criminal, and that everyone should receive the same punishment across the board, but unfortunately, it doesn't happen.

In closing, Beyonce's decision to dress up in support of an equal rights movement, that has been going on for years, in a peaceful and non-violent manner should not be received with such backlash.

*Facts can be checked here: http://www.naacp.org...
Kaylee11

Con

The first thing that I would like to address is that the source you used is a one sided source, the NAACP. So when you stated that "The Black Panthers supported the idea of equality, regardless of race or skin color..." I found a source that stated otherwise. The source I found stated this about the leaders of The Black Panthers "whose leaders have encouraged violence against whites, Jews and law enforcement officers" (New Black Panthers). You stated that they weren't anti-white, to me that sounds like the NAACP is trying to sugar coat the actual truth so that more support is given to this group. You also stated that "black power does not mean anti-white- it is an expression of equality" I also found evidence to disprove this statement. The Black Panthers are a black supremacy group, which means that they believe that the black race should be superior, that doesn't sound like equality to me.

I would also like to address that you stated this group never stood as a symbol for violence. Now this statement is true, but probably not in the way you would have liked it to be. You were right the group was never SYMBOLIZED as a violent group because when people thought of them they thought of "black power", but they did use violence. The Black Panthers "advocated the use of violence and guerrilla tactics to overthrow the U.S. Government" (The Black Panther Party). Guerrilla tactics which consisted of civilians using military tactics which include ambushes, sabotage, raids, and hit and run tactics, all of which seem fairly violent to me. I do agree, though, that the KKK did take it farther that the Black Panthers, but to me the black panthers are trying to dehumanize white cops and even white people in general, just as the KKK dehumanized black. So while one group may have been a bit more extreme in getting their point across, they really aren't that much different in their views or what they stood for.

Addressing your second point, I'm not saying that racism is completely gone, but I'm sure that you can agree that it has significantly decreased since the slaves were freed. But racism does go both ways... I have personally experienced this. Today, matter of fact, I was walking into a gas station and a black lady, who appeared to be in her 50s, was about to approach the door at the same time I was. I thought I was being polite by allowing her to go ahead ( I realize it would have been nicer to go ahead a open the door for her, but I'm an awkward person and I didn't think about it at the time). I was in a pretty good mood so I gave her a smile and a nod, but the look I had received back seemed to be of pure hatred and I didn't appreciate it so much. But while this lady seemed to have been racist towards me, I have had black gentlemen hold doors for me with a smile. Just because there are people out there like the lady I encountered, it doesn't change my overall view of black people. I think that just because a black person seems to have been discriminated by a white person, it shouldn't cause them to hate all white people, which it seems to do. An example would be cops, maybe a white cop shoots a black guy because he's racist, that doesn't give them the right to go about rioting and going about threatening to kill all white cops.

While I am back on the cop topic, I'm glad you can agree that the same punishment should be enforced no matter what the race. I agree that racism still does occur in punishments, but this racism is spread across the board with all races not just blacks. With this being said I don't see Mexicans out causing this big of a fuss over it. Also when you say Beyonce was supporting this equal rights movement, what rights exactly are they fighting for? Because right now I believe that the rights we have are going to be as equal as they can get. Right now it's all up to society on how they want to enact the laws and how far black people are willing to stretch out their idea the all of society is racist against them, and only them

https://www.splcenter.org...

http://www.dc.state.fl.us...

https://vault.fbi.gov... (This one was acting a little funny, if it doesn't work for you just search The

Black Panthers using Guerrilla tactics and it should pop up)

ejphoenix

Pro

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
Kaylee11

Con

Kaylee11 forfeited this round.
ejphoenix

Pro

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
Kaylee11

Con

Kaylee11 forfeited this round.
ejphoenix

Pro

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
Kaylee11

Con

Kaylee11 forfeited this round.
ejphoenix

Pro

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
Posted by listenthink 1 year ago
listenthink
Actually, the Black Panthers are a black rights movement. I use that term loosely. Anyways, the Black Panthers believe that the black race is superior to all the others. Imagine the KKK or Nazis and reverse it, the blacks lynching the white, the Jews after the Germans.
Posted by Oppenheimer1934 1 year ago
Oppenheimer1934
fecking idiot. It's the Carolina Panthers, you twat.