CountCheechula
Burncastle

Bible > Science / USA is a Christian Country

CountCheechula

Pro

I declare and represent all of whom are of the light. The ones who follow the great Shepard and are his sheep.
The truth is in me and I am here teach to open eyes that hadn't been open yet.
Thanks in advance challenger, God bless.
Burncastle

Con

I accept and I would ask my opponent to clarify both of his contentions.
CountCheechula

Pro

I hope you are skeptical,
Lets take look at science and the Bible:

Earth's free float in space. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 BC). The Bible spoke of the earth's free float in space: "He hangs the earth upon nothing" Job 26:7
Science didn't discover that until 1650 AD.

Hebrews 11:3 " things which are seen were not made of thing which do appear" Explains atoms, microscopic objects.

Isaiah 40:22 explains the earth is round. Isaiah was written in 740- 735 BC some 300 years before Aristotle and 2000 on Columbus taking the dangerous journey.

Job is a great book, in 1500 BC God asked Job,
"Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" 38:35. Radio waves and x-rays and all others travel at light speed.

Universal flood: 85% of the rock surface around the world is made up of sedimentary rock, indicating that some time in the past, the world was covered by water. - Peter and Paul Lalonde Archeologists

Genesis and universe.
Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power and motion.
Genesis 1:2
"In the beginning (time) God created (power) the heaven (space) and the earth (matter)...and the spirit of God moved (motion) upon the face of the waters.

Scientists who are Christian
Newton, Faraday,Maxwell,Kelvin, Boyle,Dalton, Ramsay, Kepler, Galileo, etc..

U.S. Presidents quotes:
"No educated man can afford to be ignorant of the Bible."
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than college education" - Theodore Roosevelt.

"That book, Sir, is the Rock upon which our republic rests." - Andrew Jackson

"The more profoundly we study this wonderful book [the Bible], and the more closely we observe its divine precept, the better citizens we will become and the higher will be our destiny as a nation." - William Mckinley

"I have always said, and will always say, that studious perusal of the sacred volume will make us better citizens." - Thomas Jefferson

The Bible is the official word of God according to Congress. The pres. proclaimed 1983 as the "Year of the Bible,"
Public Law 97-280

Await a response and will continue more arguments in the latter rounds.
Burncastle

Con

Thank you for your arguments. And yes, I am skeptical.

"He hangs the earth upon nothing" Setting aside the fact that "nothing" is a very nebulous term, nobody is hanging the Earth. This implies that without him, the Earth would fall, which is wrong. Also, isn't the Earth suppose to rest on pillars according to 1 Sam 2:8?

"things which are seen were not made of thing which do appear" Not only is this INCREDIBLY nebulous, but it also fails to mention that these things are small; they could also be invisible or simply gone. It could also be reference to God.

Matthew 4:8 and Luke 4:5 point towards a flat Earth.

"Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" This quote has absolutely nothing to do with radio waves and x-rays. And it doesn't take a genius to look at lightning and say: "Wow! That is fast! And it makes noise!"

"Universal flood: 85% of the rock surface around the world is made up of sedimentary rock, indicating that some time in the past, the world was covered by water" Yes, but "some time in the past" refers to a time WAY beyond the existence of humans.

"Genesis and universe.
Genesis 1:2
"In the beginning (time) God created (power) the heaven (space) and the earth (matter)...and the spirit of God moved (motion) upon the face of the waters." Are you for real?

"Scientists who are Christian
Newton, Faraday,Maxwell,Kelvin, Boyle,Dalton, Ramsay, Kepler, Galileo, etc.." You're kidding right? Saying that scientist X believes in God is not an argument, it's a fallacious appeal to authority.

I will show instances of the Bible being dead wrong on several issues in my next round.

As for the US being a Christian country, I will simply point to the First Amendment which clearly states that religion will stay out of the government. Yes, many (if not all) of US presidents were Christians... so what? And I would agree that the Bible is, historically, a VERY important book, but acknowledging that fact does not mean anything.

CountCheechula

Pro

My inter point was that Science means the belief and practice of believing evolution.
Evolution is a religion not a science.
The forefathers laid a separation, but used the Bible a base for the republic.
This country goes off a s free trade and private land. A somewhat closer idea to Jesus' ideologies than current Europe monarchs. You can choose to do almost whatever you want on your land and tell the police if no warrant to get off. Police=Government
We are kind of free, and along with slave practice came thoughts and ideas thrown from the Bible.
Eventually technologies and enough cash made slavery not needed and the good moral side won the war.
Genesis, Exodus and the next few early books are literal words of God spoken to Moses atop Mt. Sinai

Congress officials declare the Bible the true word of God in 1983.
Burncastle

Con

Thank you for your response. I want to point out that you did not address any of my rebuttals, should I consider these points conceded then?

"My inter point was that Science means the belief and practice of believing evolution.
Evolution is a religion not a science." Religion is define as The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods (1), which does not at all apply to the theory of evolution.

"The forefathers laid a separation, but used the Bible a base for the republic." Really? Slavery is illegal in the US, yet it is clearly advocated in the Bible. The concept of voting is not in the Bible. The Bible advocates the death penalty for things that are not even considered crime in the US. Only two of the ten commandments are laws. There is NO mention of Christianity in the Constitution.

"This country goes off a s free trade and private land. A somewhat closer idea to Jesus' ideologies than current Europe monarchs." I'm pretty sure that if Jesus was president, taxes would be through the roof and health care would be free.

"You can choose to do almost whatever you want on your land and tell the police if no warrant to get off" Is that in the Bible?

"Police=Government" Police is actually a subset of the government.

"We are kind of free, and along with slave practice came thoughts and ideas thrown from the Bible.
Eventually technologies and enough cash made slavery not needed and the good moral side won the war." I'm pretty sure slavery was never needed. And I do not see how technologies had anything to do with the abolition of slavery.

"Genesis, Exodus and the next few early books are literal words of God spoken to Moses atop Mt. Sinai" That's a nice assertion.

"Congress officials declare the Bible the true word of God in 1983." According to what I have read, this was simply an acknowledgment that the Bible has had a big impact on US history.

Where does the Bible contradict science? Here:

- The age of the Earth and the Universe.
- Evolution
- Genetics
- The shape of the Earth
- Global flood 4000 years ago
- etc.
CountCheechula

Pro

Alright Sir, I see you having problems understanding, so let me refute again.

So Buddhism is not a religion? They believe in no God or super intelligent being. Evolution is a theory and it can't be proven true just like any religion. Also one of Darwin's closest advocates said the only reason to believe evolution is because we know nothing else yet and its better than believing a God he said. Evolution takes a lot of faith to believe in and of course no one will never be able to totally prove it or even observe it.

Again your dead wrong, slavery was legal in the US until it was no longer needed, just like Bible shows you needed slaves 3500 years ago to support the community, most people treated their slaves like lowers but not anything like the cruel evil ways of the Caucasian man onto the African. Also you refer to laws only for the Jews and only until the Messiah arrives oh wait sorry, He already did.
"In the year of our Lord (Jesus Christ) 1787." - US Constitution

Yes your right Jesus is probably on the left of things.

The Bible states the Earth is like a circular compass if translated to proper Hebrew.
Evolution can never be used in the name of science until official proven which will be never.
Burncastle

Con

Burncastle forfeited this round.
CountCheechula

Pro

Big Bang THEORY
THEORY of Evolution
Big Crunch THEORY

The TRUTH, you have faith sir, when you sit down in a chair you expect it can hold you. You don't think before every time you sit? You have faith in a chair so why not have faith in God?
Two things are eternal, the soul and the word of God/Gospel of His son Jesus Christ.
You nor anyone can take the truth away, never. And you and your conscience will be forever in the new earth or in hell.
Eternity of paradise or torture, you choose. You choose to have someone love you, watch over you, and prepare you treasures. All you must do is believe and love everybody. Treat your parents right, don't lie, never fall in love with money or any useless material object you cannot take with you. Love your neighbor and appreciate life. Thank God for life and you can be alive, living in his image. And just live and let live. Do I preach a bad agenda. Do I preach hate and hypocrisy? Tell me if I do sir.
You must take the step to let the Holy Spirit enter, first you must genuinely believe. Let the power of God take over you and affect every second of your waking moment to be better, treat others better and repent your sins. And spread the word of God to others, so all can receive light.
Amen.
Burncastle

Con

Burncastle forfeited this round.
Posted by Vajrasattva-LeRoy 2 years ago
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
All of you are wrong.

Try studying my posts, such as my Debate :
" "Yahweh" was an Extraterrestrial... "

KISS, already!
Posted by Crillysa 2 years ago
Crillysa
This is probably the most ridiculous contention by pro I have seen yet. Citing ambiguous quotes from the bible in an effort to show it's purported superiority to modern science. Please, there are more scientific inaccuracies in the bible than there are divine raping and pillaging, and that's saying a lot. The world is flat? Pi equals three? Heaven opens up to dump water onto the earth as rain?

And the contention that America is a Christian nation is hilarious- the founding fathers are rolling in their graves right now. All of them recognized the importance of separation of church and state- and many were not even Christian- rather desist or agnostic. The US, if anything, was founded on humanist values!

I cannot believe this even needs to be debated... Anyone with an inkling of historical knowledge and middle school science education would understand that this contention by pro is not defensible in the slightest.