Bible or Jesus claim Jesus is God?

Isaiah 7:14 (New International Version 2011)
Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Matthew 1:23 (New International Version 2011)
Mt 1:23 "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us").

Jikpamu says yes that the Bible and Jesus claimed Jesus to be God. I also agree that Jesus is God but that is not what this debate is about...only the claim that He is God.

That problem with your argument is that firstly you stated the verse on Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:23 both state that the virgins's son will be called Immanuel, however Jesus's Hebrew name is Yeshua, so you have gotten it wrong, the verse was not referring to Jesus.

The second problem that I have found in your argument is that you referred Jesus as a God, but how can he pray to God if he is the God? Not only that but if he is indeed God, why didn't he kill the Romans. Also doesn't the Ten commandments state that God is God, and the people should not make another God. What you a basically doing and saying is breaking that commandment.

Thirdly, I am very confused, how can Jesus be God and son of God at the same time? As well as that, Jesus cannot claim that he is God because God is infinite and eternal and the most powerful and almighty god their ever will be while Jesus is a human and if he did call himself "god" then isn't Jesus being vain? Isn't he saying that he is better than everyone, knows the future and can make people do what he wants them to do? I don't think so.

As I stated before, Jesus is not God. God is god and that's it. Full stop. It even says in the Ten commandments of God, that Gog is god and no one else is god, human or object. I do believe that Jesus is one of God's children. After all, we are all children of God since the first person was God-made. So in the end, although Jesus is the son of God, he is not God!

Yeshua and Jesus are one in the same person. Jesus is His English Name. Yeshua is His Hebrew Name. (I hope you are not one of those "Jesus is a Greek Pagan Myth" guys. Here is the passage in context:

Matthew 1:23-25 (New International Version 2011)
Mt 1:24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.
Mt 1:25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name JESUS.

How can He be God if He prayed to God?...that's why they call it the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jesus also said I and the Father are One. People have also worshipped other gods for a long time now...still doing it today (not a valid argument against the Divinity of Jesus).

Thirdly, go back to the concept of the Trinity as mentioned in Matthew 28:19 and Luke 3:22 and elsewhere. See also Philippians 2:5-6 (New International Version 2011)
Php 2:5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

Daniel 9:24 (New International Version 2011)
Da 9:24 "SEVENTY "SEVENS" are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish TRANSGRESSION, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.

Matthew 18:21-22 (New International Version 2011)
Mt 18:21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I FORGIVE MY BROTHER OR SISTER who sins against me? Up to seven times?"
Mt 18:22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but SEVENTY-SEVEN times.

So even Jesus subtly claimed to be the Messiah and at other times not so subtly...

John 8:58 (New King James Version)
Jn 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

Exodus 3:14 (New King James Version)
Ex 3:14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

checkmate21 forfeited this round.

Checkmate21, are you forfeiting the game? If so, then "Checkmate"...

"Thank You Jesus!!!" : )

checkmate21 forfeited this round.

Since my God has "checkmated" you, I'll present this:

Ecclesiastes 8:14 (NIV 2011) - There is something else meaningless that occurs on earth: the righteous who get what the wicked deserve, and the wicked who get what the righteous deserve. This too, I say, is meaningless.

Jesus can make you righteous but you must completely trust in Him : )

Luke 7:39-48 (NIV 2011)
(39) When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is"that she is a sinner."
(40) Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said.
(41) "Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
(42) Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
(43) Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
(44) Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
(45) You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet.
(46) You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.
(47) Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven"as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
(48) Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

Jikpamu: The above may not be proof Jesus is God or that He claimed to be God, but it does show correlation across nearly a 1000 years of scripture.

checkmate21 forfeited this round.

Since my debating partner has given up:

From Jonathan Cahn"s Book "The Harbinger":

Theme Bible Verse for "The Harbinger" by Author Jonathan Cahn:

Isaiah 9:10 (NASB 95)

"The bricks have fallen down,
But we will rebuild with smooth stones;
The sycamores have been cut down,
But we will replace them with cedars."

Take a look at this verse which God revealed to me tonight (6/21/2014):

Ecclesiastes 10:9 (NASB 95)
"He who quarries stones may be hurt by them,
and he who splits logs may be endangered by them."

Isaiah 9:10 from the book "The Harbinger" and Ecclesiastes 10:9 are very similar in content and the chapters/verses are reversed across books.

Isaiah 9:10 is supposed to be in reference to America and the Judgment that befell the ancient kingdom of Israel when they ignored God"s call for them to repent according to Author Jonathan Cahn of "The Harbinger".

Do you doubt God revealed this to me? And if you don"t then why now? I have read Jonathan Cahn"s book by the way.

checkmate21 forfeited this round.
Posted by Jikpamu 2 years ago
This is about whether Jesus or the Bible ever claimed that Jesus is God. I am attempting to prove that either Jesus or the Bible made the claim that Jesus is God.
Posted by T_parkour 2 years ago
"I and the Father are one." John 10:30
Posted by WillRiley 2 years ago
Same here.
Posted by Samreay 2 years ago
What exactly is the topic on debate? I can't figure it out from your round 1 comment.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeits. As to arguments, Con's multiple forfeits mean he never properly addressed Pro's case and, as such, arguments to Pro. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Bonus points for using the checkmate pun