bfkennedy
Skynet

Biblical Fundamentalism

Skynet

bfkennedy

Con

My argument is simple: The bible should not be taken literally. Nothing from the bible ever happened simply because there is no evidence to support any of the stories told. This includes Jesus, Apostles, the biblical God, etc.

Lets keep a clean and well thought out debate for each round. I respect all opinions and religious views people may have.
Skynet

Pro

I plan on keeping it clean.

I will be taking the position that there are many things in the Bible that should be taken literally, but not all. It should be clear in most examples because context and style will indicate which passages were meant to be taken literally, and which were meant to be taken poetically, allegorically, or sarcastically.

To narrow the extensive subject further, and since I have the burden of proof, and since I only need to show that there is some evidence to support SOMETHING from the Bible ever happened, I'll focus first on the history books of Kings and Chronicles, Isaiah, Daniel, Nehemiah, and Ezra.

From context, style, and content we can see they are meant to be taken literally.

From other accounts found in archeology, we can see that many of these events are recorded by multiple nations multiple times.

Hezekiah's Tunnel:

Sennecharib's conquest of Judah, except Jerusalem:

The rule of Cyrus of Persia:

Successful siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon:

There seems to be plenty of physical evidence that events and people from the Bible did exist. Something from the Bible did happen, and the parts that record such events can be taken literally.
bfkennedy

Con

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

Well that's too bad. My opponent is probably busy with college studies or some other important matter. I hope. I really find forfeits depressing. For this round, I ask that the voters not count the first forfeit against him.
bfkennedy

Con

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

I presented evidence. Vote for me.
bfkennedy

Con

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

I presented "evidence to support [some] of the stories told [in the Bible]." I would present more, but there were no rebuttals from Con. I have negated my opponent's resolution. The only logical choice is to vote Pro.
bfkennedy

Con

bfkennedy forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

Too bad. Please vote for me.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
And wen the universe completes one turn.. bang! it is replaced by an even weirder universe. Some say this has already happened 0.o
Posted by Haltheleon 3 years ago
Haltheleon
@Diamonte Way to paraphrase Eric Hovind and not even give credit there. In all actuality, the word "universe" does not break down to "one verse." Frankly, all this would take is a simple Google search, but hey, I'll do it for you. You understand that "uni" is a Latin prefix for "one," yes? Following this trail, we see that our modern word "universe" comes from this prefix, "uni" and another Latin word, "versus" which means "turn" or "turned." So, if you want to be accurate about it, "universe" breaks down into, roughly, "one turn."
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
Even if an Execution order for Jesus was found. you would just transition into it being part of a Roman Conspiracy to make a jewish messiah.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
Every murder trial should have some jurer saying well it's reasonable the defendant didn't do it. I would have to see video footage. Oh you only have a friend saying he did it, a voice recording saying he was going to do it... no no I still want to see video footage.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
So let me get this straight.. The Atheist says the order to execute Jesus was written down. Once it is written down it is proof and should last all the way till today.

But the Atheist says what is written down in the bible as an eye witness account is not proof. Or the non christian citations of jesus are not proof either even though they are written down.

Will you Atheist make up your god damn mind on what is considered proof. Or are you just saying you will accept X as a reason to believe because you know X if it existed at one time, was burned and re-cataloged as trash to make room for more records.

Here I was under the impression evidence was what I could examine, not some intangible what-if I can not find.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
Yes the Romans kept records. And every single one of those records has made it to be properly investigated today. Actually a majority of these execution orders have been preserved. No? Okay half of these roman execution orders have been preserved? NO still. You mean the roman army is a lot like todays Army that day to day orders are only kept for so long then destroyed?

No way.. surely the orders pertaining to Jesus would be some where.
Posted by JaisonCruz 3 years ago
JaisonCruz
@Carthage, When the bible clearly contradicts itself, that's proof that something about the bible doesn't make sense. First I have to ask you, Did God Write The Bible himself? No, prophets did. Are These Prophets actually speaking to God? We don't know. What Language Did They Write in? Hebrew. Who Translated these verses? The Roman Catholic Church (The most historically corrupt church). If everything in the Bible made sense, Then why would have the Reformation taken place? Why is their over 100's of different branches of Christianity?
Posted by bfkennedy 3 years ago
bfkennedy
JaisonCruz well until actual evidence is found of Jesus's actual existence, your statement is just an opinion and not a fact.
Carthage, you're right in saying it is not evidence of lack, however, you can't really prove me wrong because there isn't any evidence.
Posted by Carthage 3 years ago
Carthage
"Nothing from the bible ever happened simply because there is no evidence to support any of the stories told." Do you not see the fault in this (il)logic? Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.
Posted by JaisonCruz 3 years ago
JaisonCruz
Jesus Did exist. That is the only part of your argument I disagree with. Most of what is in the Holy Bible Is Probably either Made up or mistranslated. In example, On the first day of creation God said " Let there Be Light". Yet it wasn't until the fourth day that the Sun was created. Then Let's analyze Adam and Eve. They were the only people on the Earth. When they had Cain and Able, The four of them where the only people on Earth. Yet when Cain kills Abel, God bestows a mark on Cain So no person would kill Cain (still, Adam,Eve, and Cain are the only people). Then Cain Travels The world and finds A WIFE?????? (Still, Cain, Adam, and Eve are the only people). Jesus however, did exist.
Vote Placed by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
bfkennedySkynetTied