Maccabee
parabrahma

Biblical self defense

Maccabee

Pro

I contend that both the new and Old Testament allows for self defense even to the point of killing the assailant. The first round will be acceptance and first argument.
parabrahma

Con

New testament certainly does not. Jesus says "Love thy enemy as thy own neighbour". "If somebody smite on one of your cheeks, turn to him the other one."
This clearly shows that bible does not allow self-defence.
Maccabee

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate.

Response:

Point 1. Love your enemy

I like to point out three things:

1. Proverbs 25:21 says "If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink". This verse is in the OT and as anyone familiar with the Bible will tell you the OT has many passages to kill the enemy and it was said by God. So is this verse talking about the enemy that you fight in war or is it talking about the enemy that lives next door and hates you?

2. Both of the verses pertaining to loving your enemy has a personal pronoun. Meaning that its not saying "love the enemy" but rather "love your enemy".

3. As any parent will tell you that they love their children, but they have to punish them sometimes because of their wrongdoings. That doesn't mean that they hate them, in fact, the very reason they are punishing the child is because they love them. If I stop someone from murdering someone else or me, I love them enough to make them stop doing it, whatever it takes to stop him.

Point 2. Turn the other cheek

I like to point out two things:

1. Back then (and still now) a slap on the cheek was more of an insult rather than an assault.

2. Notice Jesus said to turn the other cheek, not give the other limb.
parabrahma

Con

parabrahma forfeited this round.
Maccabee

Pro

Shall you go on to your next set of arguments or have you forfeit the entire debate?
parabrahma

Con

parabrahma forfeited this round.
Maccabee

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the debate. Please vote for me.
parabrahma

Con

parabrahma forfeited this round.
Maccabee

Pro

I'm just filling in my slot here.
parabrahma

Con

parabrahma forfeited this round.
Posted by parabrahma 1 year ago
parabrahma