The Instigator
jjc
Pro (for)
Tied
0 Points
The Contender
Truthorfiction
Con (against)
Tied
0 Points

Bikie Laws in Queensland

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 0 votes the winner is...
It's a Tie!
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 3/1/2014 Category: Politics
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 924 times Debate No: 48119
Debate Rounds (4)
Comments (0)
Votes (0)

 

jjc

Pro

I N T R O
The Bikie Laws in Queensland, Australia are very controversial. There is a blazing argument going on as to whether the bikie laws should be kept or ditched. There are numerous stories put out by the media skewing things either for or against the laws. The purpose of this debate is to find out what the people arguing against the laws (to have them removed) have to say.

R U L E S
The rules for this debate are as follows:
> Use a logical manner to put forth your argument (i.e. don't write a 4000 word garbled rebuttal about how the police suck. It's not productive and I will end the debate.)
> Use proper grammar and spelling
> If using an external source, REFERENCE IT!
> Unless it's a quotation of a source, no swearing

S E T U P
ROUND 1 Acceptance
> List sources you will use for this debate in this round
> Define any words or meanings as necessary
> State your opening argunemt

All other rounds will follow the standard debating rules

O P E N I N G A R G U M E N T
I am FOR the Bikie laws.

Wherever they go, motorcycle gangs are inherently dangerous. They bring drugs, violence, crime and prostitution into society. As a member of the general public, I don't want these people on the streets and I support any attempt to remove them from the streets by any legal means possible. I'm not saying that I want the Gold Coast to be some kind of fairy land you can safely walk through at all hours, but I do want to have some security and peace of mind.

Definitions
Bikie Laws
http://www.qld.gov.au...
Truthorfiction

Con

I accept this argument but will clarify a few things first.

I assume this is will have a shared burden of proof, I will show that there are great disadvantages and flaws in the legislation against outlaw motorcycle gangs as well as refuting any arguments made my Pro.

Pro has loosely used the words "bikie" and "motorcycle gangs". However, there are many motorcycle clubs not just in Queensland but all around the world that are perfectly legal, and are for people who are interested in motorcycles to come together. I will assume that Pro is talking about Outlaw/criminal motorcycle gangs.

Although Pro has linked to the Queensland government website, I will be talking about two pieces of legislation in particular, the Tattoo Parlours Act 2013, and the Criminal Law (Criminal Organisations Disruption) Amendment Act 2013[2].

Opening Argument

As pro has a relatively short opening argument, I will endeavour to do the same.

Yes, I agree that outlaw motorcycle gangs are bad and dangerous. I get that. But at what lengths do we go to bring them to justice? I will argue that the new laws are ineffective as they infringe on the rights of the individual, equality, and the fundamental right to free speech and association, as well as the freedom of movement (fundamental human rights, as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights article 13, 19, 20 [3]). We are a nation that functions on the basis of law and basic human rights - we are not a dictatorship that simply infringes upon the rights of citizens because we suspect they may be committing a crime. There must be an assumption that one is innocent unitl proven guilty, the standard of proof being beyond reasonable doubt. [4] I shall elaborate on these points further in round 2.


[1] https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au...
[2] https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au...;
[3] http://www.un.org...;
[4] http://www.judcom.nsw.gov.au...;
Debate Round No. 1
jjc

Pro

jjc forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Con

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 2
jjc

Pro

jjc forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Con

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 3
jjc

Pro

jjc forfeited this round.
Truthorfiction

Con

Truthorfiction forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 4
No comments have been posted on this debate.
No votes have been placed for this debate.