lmeyer
Daedalus

Bilingual Education should be mandatory in all public schools

lmeyer

Pro

Bilingual Education should be mandatory in all school throughout the country. It is no secret that this country is a melting pot. I do believe that educating the youth of this country in two languages will only benefit them in the end by making them more successful with attaining better careers. I have read that currently in the state of New Jersey that the state is moving towards doing this program in school to test it out. Many American say that your in America you should speak English. Which I would definitely agree with. However the diversity of this country would require change to move forward for a better future. Why would it be wrong to prepare the youth of this country with additional skills to ensure a brighter future?
Daedalus

Con

I will use the first round for acceptance and definitions only.
Im assuming that
Bilingual Education- an education as thourough as our current English courses we have in schools
Mandatory-Required by federal or state law
lmeyer

Pro

Yes- Bilingual Education meaning instruction through both English and Spanish for example. As well as a federal law to enforce.

According to the Daily Mail, people who speak more then one language are better at multi tasking and have less a chances of getting Alzheimer's Disease. As mentioned previously, it is a great advantages in the business world for negating deals in foreign countries, for example. For a child growing up learning the language and living everyday in school will have a greater impact in sustaining it, which will enhance their cognitive development during the learning process.
Daedalus

Con

I believe that bilingual education would benefit few students.
1.Few Americans will ever use a second language. Worse, most students in high school wind up wasting the two years or so of foreign language classes they already take because they forget it. I know that most of my friends that have graduated after taking spanish have forgotten all but a few words.And the few words they do know they never use in useful ways.
2. Some students have extreme difficulty keeping up with the current coursework. Adding more could distract them from their more practical education and possibly cause them to fall behind in absolutely necessary classes like math and science. This could deprive some of a diploma and rob them of their chances to succeed.

Finally as a student taking Spanish myself, I can say that it is difficult to pick up a second language. A couple of my classmates have failed it and must retake it just to graduate as a year of foreign language is already required where I go to school. It should be noted that these kids are not slackers or stupid, but just cant seem to memorize the large amount of knowledge. So in summary, it could actually be harmful to some students education to have to have a full foreign language education, beneficial to very few individuals, and thus just be an unnecessary addition and waste of time.
lmeyer

Pro

Well I can see some of your points, you are forgetting this would be implemented starting in kindergarten. With the rapid globalization of the world, with in time it will be mandatory to speak at least (Spanish) in this country. Today the study of a foreign language does only take place for a year or two in most schools, thus why it services no purpose. For the growth of a students cognitive development,for the health benefits in the future, as well for business communication and just communication in general there is no choice in the matter. It is vastly important to start such a program now.
Daedalus

Con

I disagree intensely with your statement that rapid globalization will require us to learn Spanish. I belive that(at the very least)America will retain its identity for a hundred more years. By that I mean that America will function much like it always has and people who speak only spanish will not become widespread enough to merit every last American child becoming bilingual. Already people on the mexican border are clamoring for stricter immigration laws and are fighting to reassert English as the dominant language. I would like to see a direct citing or link to your health benefits argument also before i concede that point.
Now to advance my own arguments.
1. Implemeting such a program in kindergarten would waste even more time because again, very few americans would use this knowledge.According to this site http://usgovinfo.about.com... hlaf of the americans who speak spainish as their primary language also speak english very well so communication would not be a problem.
2. Pro did not attempt(as well as I can see) to refute this argument.
3.I would like to add that our country is falling behind in polls of academic prowess compared to other countries such as Japan and China. The time spent on a foreign language would be better spent on more practical studies.
lmeyer

Pro

lmeyer forfeited this round.
Daedalus

Con

My arguments stand, as Pro forfeits.
lmeyer

Pro

My apologizes for missing the last round. However here is the proof of the health benefits.http://gu.com... To address you experience in high school is yours alone. Not most or all. I had not mentioned anything about any Spanish speaking person/American in this country not being able to speak English well or at all. What I said was that the rapid globalization brings the rise to grow our knowledge. There in no one language or need to be a nation which was founded on freedom and liberty to require its people/in habitats to learn an additional language, however times have changed since the signing of our Constitution. My point was that it is beneficial for the growth of the individual and the country. As for the time to learn another language as you state most American do not go to polls, would you not agree that education and the knowledge of other cultures would induce Americans to go to the polls after learning the value? The in tolerance and lack of will to change our society to be more accepting needs to change. Yes there may be other issues that may need more attention but this debate is about making bilingual education mandatory.
Daedalus

Con

Daedalus forfeited this round.