KingAwesome
Anon_Y_Mous

Biology should be a class required in every year of school

Anon_Y_Mous

KingAwesome

Con

Should biology be a class required in every year of school? This first round is just for acceptance.
Anon_Y_Mous

Pro

I accept your challenge. Good luck.
KingAwesome

Con

We can all agree that biology is beneficial class. I can't imagine not knowing how a plant survives without eating food. I can't imagine not understanding how my body is split into millions of tiny cells, which work together to do amazing things. The thing is: besides sating my want for knowledge, what do I really use biology for in my daily life? The answer is nothing really.

Try to name off all of the jobs that use biology on a regular basis. Of course many people use small parts of biology everyday, but the only jobs that use the in-depth knowledge taught in schools are research scientists. When I cut my knee, it's nice to know why and how it will heal itself over time, but is this a necessity?

I want to save my main arguments for later rounds, so with that in mind, I conclude my thoughts for Round 1.
Anon_Y_Mous

Pro

Honestly, what subjects would you use on a daily basis? When's the last time knowing that George Washington was born on February 22, 1732 was useful? How about SohCahToa? Students are taught lots of nearly useless material (From here on to be referred to as 'fluff') in every class. However, I believe that biology contains less 'fluff' than most courses.

You see, in biology, almost everything you learn is building up towards how organisms function, what keeps them alive. Imagine what the country would be like if every person had a working knowledge of the human body. There would be hundreds of doctors constantly patrolling the streets of every city.

Of course, it wouldn't be the same course year after year. That would be a waste of time. You'd start off with molecular biology, then move to cellular, and continue progressing to bigger concepts as the years pass. Also, other science courses would be provided for students who want to go the extra mile. They could be taken online or after school.
KingAwesome

Con

You're right, Anon, a lot of fluff is taught in school. With that in mind, maybe they should change the whole system. I think that by 5th grade, you know who the good students are and who the bad students are. The two groups will be sorted, and good students will be allowed to move on to higher education. Bad students will have some choices: they can go to a remedial school and attempt to redeem themselves; they can go to a trade school and learn how to do a specialized job; or they can go straight into working at entry level jobs. This makes sure that these bad students are wasting their time and the time of others in school. Everyone's problems are fixed.
Anon_Y_Mous

Pro

That is certainly an intriguing (and flawed) system, but it's not what we are currently debating.

There is a lot of fluff taught in schools currently, but your system doesn't actually address it. It just bumps out the vast majority of students at a young age. With my biology system, all the fluff would become significant material. They'll still teach it, but it will actually be useful.
KingAwesome

Con

The problem with your system is that there are only so many areas of biology able to be studied. Eventually you would just be repeating yourself. Due to changes in what my school system thinks is best, I have taken 3 consecutive years of biology. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through the same discussions about cells and their organelles or how cellular respiration and photosynthesis work. I can promise you that it gets very boring after a while. The same thing would happen to students in your system.
Anon_Y_Mous

Pro

I've taken three years of biology, too, as you well know. I am very dissatisfied with the choices that have been made at our school recently. But my system would be different. Biology would be like Math. It would contain several sub-classes, like molecular, cellular, and human, just like math has algebra, geometry, and calculus. We'd focus on more specific things, and actually teach them. This article uses a very accurate metaphor.
www.tbp.org/pubs/Features/W07Brown.pdf
It says that the USA's public education is 'mile wide, inch deep.' We cover a vast amount of topics, but never go in depth enough for the students to understand or retain the knowledge. If we were to spend more time and effort on fewer topics, improvement would be practically inevitable.
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 4 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
My name is Anon Yabbersmith Mous. I have no idea who Jocab is.
Posted by KingAwesome 4 years ago
KingAwesome
No one is going to find you and come to your house just because they know your first name Anon, AKA Jacob.
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 4 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
I hope you(KingAwesome) can edit comments. Because you used some random person's name.
Posted by KingAwesome 4 years ago
KingAwesome
This was a fun debate Jacob. I have to admit that I should have taken this more seriously than I did, I just wanted to finish it so that I could have the ability to vote on other debates. I'm sorry for not respecting this debate as much as I should have.
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 4 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
Regarding the votes of Walrus101 and enclave101:
You both voted KingAwesome over me in spelling and grammar. Could you please point out my mistake(s) so that I don't accidentally do the same thing again?
Vote Placed by enclave101 4 years ago
enclave101
KingAwesomeAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's round three argument was completely off topic whereas Pro's arguments were some what convincing.
Vote Placed by Gondun 4 years ago
Gondun
KingAwesomeAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did a better job and had stronger arguments. Overall, Con didn't address the topic very much besides just repeating his original argument.
Vote Placed by Walrus101 4 years ago
Walrus101
KingAwesomeAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a good argument. He did get a little insulting near the end. Pro did have a resource, while con had none. I myself have taken 3 years of Biology, 2 of which from the same teacher. It is a real pain.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 4 years ago
MassiveDump
KingAwesomeAnon_Y_MousTied
Reasons for voting decision: Yeah, Con's third round had absolutely nothing to do with biology. It's funny; he wanted to start a debate on biology and never really cared to talk about. I never would have considered Pro's idea of having doctors EVERYWHERE. That argument went untouched and won him the debate.