michelleknueven
abigailholmes

Birth Control

abigailholmes

michelleknueven

Pro

I believe that birth control should be allowed to be obtained without parental consent. When a girl is requesting to use birth control, she is being mature and responsible and it is her own right, not her parents, to make the decision to have sex or not. If someone is making the decision to have sex, they should be mature enough to make the decision to be safe about it. Further more, most teens would have sex if they want to regardless if they have protection or not, so it is better to be safe than sorry.
abigailholmes

Con

I respect your view on the topic however I believe parental consent should be required when a minor wants to obtain birth control. A child under the age of 18 isn't allowed to vote, some don't even have a license however they are engaging in an act that can bring a whole new person to the world. Maturity is a large factor in the topic of birth control. Often, girls believe that they should get birth control behind their parent's backs to avoid awkward conversation or even disappointment. However, what girls fail to see is that their parents are there to help them and might surprise them and support their decision to get birth control.
michelleknueven

Pro

I understand your side, and I agree that girls should be able to talk to their parents about obtaining birth control. However, in cases where a parent would not let his or her child obtain birth control, I believe a young woman should be able to receive it herself. If a young woman is interested in obtaining birth control, then chances are she has been or will be sexually active soon, with or without her parents' consent. If she is allowed to get birth control, then the risk of becoming pregnant is decreased significantly, a conclusion that I believe should be a young woman's own right. If you believe that someone needs parental consent, what age do they no longer need it, 18?
abigailholmes

Con

I understand and respect your arguments. In response to your question regarding age, yes I do believe a girl should wait until the age of eighteen to be able to obtain birth control. I understand your point that you believe a girl who wants to obtain birth control is already sexually active, however I believe that in some cases the lack of birth control will keep them from becoming sexually active and possibly prevent a mistake from happening. By allowing a young girl of any age to obtain birth control with no knowledge to their parents, it is making it easy for young girls to make mistakes that they may be too immature to recognize at the time.
michelleknueven

Pro

I agree with your point that in some cases, a young woman not being able to obtain birth control would prevent her from being sexually active, and therefore might prevent a mistake from happening. But isn't the point of birth control to prevent a mistake from happening either way? The common age for a girl to become sexually active is 15... and though a parent should know what is going on with their child, most likely, they will not and never will know what is going on with their 15 year old daughter. Furthermore, each year in United States, 800,000 to 900,000 adolescents 19 years of age or younger become pregnant, with a high percentage of that number being unplanned or unwanted pregnancies. If a young woman could prevent an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy that may or may not end in abortion, why shouldn't she be able to?
abigailholmes

Con

I understand your point however you may be misunderstanding me. I do believe girls should be able to obtain birth control to take control of their sex life and be able to prevent unwanted and unplanned mistakes. I agree with you on the fact that girls should be able to obtain such prevention and the high number of teen pregnancy further proves that. However I believe the users parents should be involved in the process. Even though a young girl may not want to talk about such topics with her parents, the discussion and decision to get birth control are things that should not be simply left to the opinions and maturity of a freshman or sophomore in high school. At that age girls are influenced by so many other things that may make a responsible decision difficult. Do you believe that such an important decision should be able to be made by a child of any age?
michelleknueven

Pro

To answer your question, while I do agree with you that a freshman or sophomore in high school may be influenced by many other factors in her life, she might not be emotionally ready or mature enough to make the decision about obtaining birth control by herself. However, if this young girl believed she was emotionally stable enough to become sexually active (even if she is not) she should have the right to obtain birth control in case her parents do not consent. Again, if this young girl was to continue being sexually active even without her parents consent to get birth control, why should she be able to get pregnant which would complicate her life even further? If she could pay for the birth control pills, and was responsible enough to take them everyday, I don't understand why she should not be able to prevent a mistake from happening.
abigailholmes

Con

No I do not believe that such a mistake should not be avoided. However if you were a parent, wouldn't you want to know if your child was going on prescription medication? I understand that parents should have trust in their children and trust in themselves that they raised them to have good character. So I believe that if a parent uncovered their child sneaking around and intentionally hiding medication and such an important decision from them, the parent would feel their rights are compromised. Until the child turns eighteen, the parents still withholds all rights regarding their child and their life. No matter the maturity level of the child involved, a parent should be notified for the sole reason that their child is going on prescription medication.
michelleknueven

Pro

I do understand your point about how parents should be aware if their child is doing prescription medication. However, concluding my argument, I still stand by my point that women under 18 should have the right to birth control without parents' consent. In history, during the National Birth Control movement, a right to privacy was established, which meant that women had the right to control their own body. I believe that this right is extended to all women, not just women over 18. It is a young women's own decision to use birth control, and if a girl does not feel comfortable talking to her parents about her sexual activity, I do not believe that should prevent her from a mistake like teenage pregnancy.
abigailholmes

Con

I understand your argument and respect your opinions however, I also continue to stand by my opinion that girls under the age of eighteen should not have access to birth control without a parent's consent. A young girl with the maturity of a freshman in high school should not be able to make such an important decision on her own. With easy access to the pill, a whole new set of problems can erupt. Just talking to a parent about birth control helps make the decision easier and more understandable for a young girl with little to no education in such areas.
Posted by timlatshaw 3 years ago
timlatshaw
This was a well rounded debate with valid points shown on both sides. I personally have to side with the pro side, because I believe that women should have the choice if they want to have birth control or not, but there are certain things that need to be considered that are brought up well by the con of the argument.
Posted by patrickbennett 3 years ago
patrickbennett
Very good argument, good points on both sides. The grammar was spectacular. very good use of commas, and letters. I'm with the whole birth control should be legal side. I mean if a guy wants to have S*x with a girl then he can purchase a condom to prevent pregnancy, but a girl cant get birth control so she doesnt end up with a kid?
-Patrick Charles Bennett
Posted by desaulniersmsc 3 years ago
desaulniersmsc
I appreciate the conduct of each of the debaters. The issue of birth control is a problematic one, to say the least. Ironic that underage kids can't even get an ibuprofen without parental consent, but birth control should be allowed. Also, no clear point of age limit is also a problem -- as this could leave girls of say 13 vulnerable to abuse such as coercion, as well as clear issues of maturity. Finally, this is a drug with health consequences, so it would be useful to hear how it would be administered. Would a doctor's exam be required? Would education regarding health issues be explained?
Posted by tessmckee 3 years ago
tessmckee
Both sides of the argument show valid points that were well presented. However, I must side with pro's argument. I believe that women of all ages have the right to obtain a form of birth control. She makes a good point by saying that a woman who feel they are mature enough to engage in sexual activity are mature enough to make the decision to get birth control. It is our own body and we should have the right to decide by ourselves what to do with it.
Vote Placed by lmc211 3 years ago
lmc211
michelleknuevenabigailholmesTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am in agreement with the pro birth control side of this argument. However I did feel the con side made a more convincing argument.
Vote Placed by RyozoTabikashi 3 years ago
RyozoTabikashi
michelleknuevenabigailholmesTied
Reasons for voting decision: i think that pro has a legitimate argument as does con, but in the end i am for pro. but it was all well thought out. good job. both of you