debatethis94
Pickers

Birth control given out in schools

Con Tied Pro

debatethis94

Con

According to Plu,Edu.org giving out birth control in schools would increase the teen sex rate by 46% because they feel we are giving them the ok to have sex . . It is not the responsibility of the school to act as our parent. Plus there are side effects to birth control for example birth control pills prevent pregnancy 99.9% but they do not prevent sexually transmitted diseases including HIV. According to Dr. Hutchinson from planned parent hood other side effects of taking birth control pills are depression, naseu, headaches and break through bleeding.
Why are we teaching absitence in schools if there is another room in that school giving out birth control? We teach students to say to say no to drugs, we don't turn around and give the kids clean needles so they don't get diseases or infections. Let this be a family decision.
Pickers

Pro

Fundamentally this argument comes down to a simple question, does teaching abstinence work? I would strongly argue the fact that abstinence has for too long been the accepted method of teaching about sex and wrongly.

I firstly want to compare two methods of teaching about sex, the first being the US where abstinence is the generally preferred route and the second being Europe where the sex-positive approach is taken. By sex positive I mean that as the society understands that teenagers are going to have sex, that they will have sex. My case in point being the USA in which the Teenage pregnancy rate was 7% in 2006, now you may think that this number is "low" but when compared to the figure for example of the Netherlands you can clearly see the difference. In Holland only 0.7% of teenagers become pregnant. This equates to only 7 in every 1000 and is 10 times less than in the USA. Now if we look at how sex is taught in each country I think it becomes obvious why.

In the USA as mentioned abstinence is the preferred method with 34% of schools teaching abstinence only with _no_ teaching at all of birth control methods. This method is irresponsible as teenagers are going to have sex, however much you teacher them or whatever laws are in place humans are sexual creatures and natural urges are going to prevail.

Teaching students about sex and how sex can be positive rather than portrayed as negative will help them to makes better informed choices about what they want to do. Creating a false dichotomy between having children equals having sex and no sex equals no children is a vast simplification which scares people and hides the facts.

In your post you make the point that schools should not teach students about sex and it should be the parents' responsibility and to counter this I would like to present an analogy. If you were a farmer and wanted to find out whether to farm sheep or pigs would you either ask your uninformed parents to make the decision for you or an informed expert to present the facts about which is best? I would argue that it is better that someone who was informed taught. In order to make informed choices it is important that contraceptives are readily available and if needs be free. Removing the barriers to create a simple choice in which everyone can make.
debatethis94

Con

I am not debateing teaching absitence or birthcontrol in schools...i am debateing why it shouldnt be GIVEN OUT in schools.
Pickers

Pro

"because they feel we are giving them the ok to have sex "

"Why are we teaching absitence in schools "

I believe the question fundamentally revolves around whether Abstinence should be taught in schools.
debatethis94

Con

debatethis94 forfeited this round.
Pickers

Pro

Err, thanks for debating I guess.
Posted by sydnerella 6 years ago
sydnerella
She is on the legislative debate team at my school, so she was confused about the format of the debate. Also, the negative side effects she was referring to wasn't the prevention of pregnancy. She was merely stating that schools, unless having a medical professional on staff, shouldn't be prescribing medication.
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
isn't the entire point of birth control is to not get pregnant... how is that a bad side effect...?
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
LMAO wtf?
Posted by sydnerella 6 years ago
sydnerella
Yeah but it isn't just Drew's name that would be confusing. You also don't want to mention the bill. That isn't really the format used on this site.
Posted by debatethis94 6 years ago
debatethis94
lol my bad i didnt read over my speech i forgot i had drew in it
Posted by sydnerella 6 years ago
sydnerella
Hey Sumer, I just wanted to let you know that this website isn't a legislative debate website. I know we do that in school, but this website doesn't require that we write bills. So you can feel free to simply debate the topic.

I'm just telling you this because no one on this website really knows who Drew is or what that bill stated.

Sorry for any confusion.
Vote Placed by sydnerella 6 years ago
sydnerella
debatethis94PickersTied
Vote Placed by Scyrone 6 years ago
Scyrone
debatethis94PickersTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
debatethis94PickersTied