LatinaGirl8894
sjrrj

Birth with drugs(Pro) or without drugs (Con)

LatinaGirl8894

Con

Round 1 is acceptance
Rounds 2&3 are arguments and rebuttals
Round 4 is rebuttals and conclusion
sjrrj

Pro

Women should be entitled to a medication during birth. We literally have to push a baby out of a little tiny canal out of your vagina. Birth pain is the worst kind of pain. Women endure (though many times it is purposefully) nine months of pain and discomfort. They create life inside their abdomens. They know what is going to happen to their body, emotions, and self image and still do it. Women are entitled to epidurals to relieve a fraction of the pain during child birth.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

All drugs have some effect on us, whether it"s serious or not.

"In an epidural, a local anesthetic " still derived from cocaine " is injected into the epidural space (the space around the tough coverings that protect the spinal cord). Epidurals block nerve signals from both the sensory and motor nerves, which provides effective pain relief but immobilizes the lower part of the recipient"s body." (1)

While this does numb the pain that a women is going through it also blocks the nerves in the lower part of the body. Essentially she can"t move, which is why if you have one you need help to push your baby out because you can"t feel anything from the waist down. Most of births where an epidural is used require some form of forceps to help deliver the baby, which can be harmful to both mother and baby.

Epidurals also lengthen labor. I know I would not want to go through labor any longer than I have to no matter the circumstance.
Any type of drug that you put into your body will hit your baby with almost twice the amount that was given to you. It also takes them longer to get rid of the medicine than it would for the mother by almost 4 times the amount of time.

"Pitocin-induced contractions will be longer, more forceful and much closer together than a woman"s natural contractions. This can cause significant stress to the baby, because there"s not enough time to recover from the reduced blood flow that happens when the placenta is compressed with each contraction. The net effect of this is to deprive the baby of necessary supplies of blood and oxygen, which can in turn lead to abnormal fetal heart rate patterns and fetal distress." (1)

Using all of these drugs put serious stress on the mother and the baby which is not what the baby needs right before they are born. This particular drug listed above can deprive the baby of vital blood and oxygen which can lead to distress for the baby. When this happens sometimes there is a need for emergency surgery which has longer lasting effects than a natural childbirth. Babies are three times more likely to suffocate when this drug is used. This drug can also have bad effects on the mother including; hemorrhage. This type of drug should only be used when it is absolutely necessary and I believe that the mother should be made aware of the side effects that can and will probably occur if this is needed for delivery.

I know all women are entitled to drugs when they are in labor I am simply saying that they can have long lasting effects on both parties involved.

(1)http://chriskresser.com...
sjrrj

Pro

Despite what you believe and what your quotes say, epidurals do not harm the baby. You are not drugging the baby by using an epidural. You are simply causing less pain for yourself. This choice really should be a woman's choice for herself. Many pregnancies can be very dangerous. Woman can be in danger of dying during birth.

The biggest misconception of epidurals is they are the same thing as a spinal. This is incorrect. An epidural is injected into the area around the vertebrae near the spinal fluid. A spinal is injected directly into the fluid. If both are combined, there is not as much of a need for medication and it allows for pain relief without numbness. If both are used, pushing becomes easier and makes less of a need for forceps. Yes, whatever medication you take somehow reaches the baby through your blood but the amount of medication in your bloodstream from an epidural is extremely small, the spinal is even smaller. Neither causes any harm to the baby. There may be side affects but it does not happen very often, only with high spears of medication. The main risk and most common (though it does not happen often) is hypotension, or a drop in blood pressure. It is not always severe.

An epidural or a spinal does not actually cause any health (mental or physical) complications to the baby or the mother. They are meant only to help make the pain of childbirth easier to endure. I understand why you may think that medications administered to the mother through the bloodstream may cause health issues to the child or the mother but this is not the case.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

Epidurals can sometimes not work like they should. They will only numb some areas of the belly and when this happens there will be extra medicine needed and this is not what your baby needs at one time.

Since they can prolong your labor your baby might end up being in the posterior position by the time you are ready to deliver. Sometimes this has no effect at all on anything but i can if the baby continues to keep spinning and end up upside down. This can cause major problems later if the baby does not turn back around or can not be turned back around.

What some people don't know is that whatever happens to the mother will happen to the baby, when the mother has some severe side effects from the medication it will impact the baby that much harder and they are not equipped to deal with that at this stage.
sjrrj

Pro

sjrrj forfeited this round.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

Giving birth with drugs can be harmful to both mother and baby and for this reason I state that giving birth without drugs is the best way to go.
sjrrj

Pro

I apologize for forfeiting the previous round. My family has recently been through a crisis and I did not have enough time to effectively make an argument. I apologize to my opponent as well as the voters for taking up time and for taking away the chance of someone else to have a really solid debate. All I will say is birthing drugs are not actually harmful to the mother or the baby. They merely provide relief for a process that is one of the most painful experiences a person can experience. They do not have an effect on the child or the mother after delivery. Though I am passionate and believe in my arguments, I encourage you vote for my opponent as I was not able to effectively debate. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience and I wish my opponent the best of luck in the future. Good night everyone.
Posted by under_the_under 2 years ago
under_the_under
it is hard to go for pro because in some places its banned to take drugs while having a baby!