KiwiJudas
BlackVoid

Birthright Citizenship

BlackVoid

KiwiJudas

Pro

Hi I would like to start of by stating thank you to who ever accepts this debate. I am fairly new to this website so I ask my opponent for a good clean debate. I hope this will be of benefit to me and my opponent & I know it will be really fun. I tried this debate before with another person but he/she never rebut my cases, so I ask someone to take this debate and give me a challenge. Thank you.

Debate:

Birthright Citizenship - Should the right of citizenship for all children born in the United States, regardless of the immigration status of their parents, be removed?

Definitions:

Birthright Citizenship - refers to the citizenship granted to a person by virtue of the circumstances of his/her birth. Accordingly, any person born within the territory of the U.S. is granted citizenship by birth. A child born overseas to U.S. citizens also acquires a U.S. citizenship.

Pro - I will choose Pro for this debate meaning I believe a child should be a citizen of the United States wether his parents are immigrants or not.

Con - Will be chosen by my opponent for this debate. He will protect his case stating that a child should not become a United State citizen if his parents are illegal immigrants.

Terms:

1. For the sake of the well being of me and my opponent as well, I ask him/her to keep private matter to himself. If this debate has to do with his/her personal life I ask him/her to not bring it forward to this debate.

2. I ask of him/her to think of this debate as only a debate and nothing else.

3. I ask for my opponent to use great deal of grammar, as I will try as well and to use reliable sources. If I lose or win a debate I like to learn from them so I ask for my opponent who will accept this debate to take it serious and give it all he's/she's got as I will do the same.

4. Have fun I want to enjoy myself as I am sure my opponent will love to enjoy him/her self as well.

Outline:

Round 1: Will be for acceptance and any questions or terms Con may have.

Round 2 - 5: Will be presenting cases and rebuts.

Good luck.
BlackVoid

Con

I accept the definiton and rules. I look forward to a fun and hopefully educational round.

Good luck to both of us.

KiwiJudas

Pro

I will have to forfeit since I will be going through punishment, I will not be able to reach the computer.

Maybe some other time.
KiwiJudas

Pro

KiwiJudas forfeited this round.
BlackVoid

Con

My opponent seems to have switched to another account.

For educational purposes,

I negate.

C1: Birthright Citizenship encourages illegal immigration

Giving instant citizenship to kids of illegals provides several incentives to migrate illegally.

A. Deportation

Having a child citizen means the illegal parents are less likely to be deported (1). In addition to being an incentive, this is a violation of justice. Immgrants become less likely to be punished for breaking the law, for something as arbitrary as having a kid.

If someone comes here against US laws, they should be punished and deported back to where they came from. They shouldn't be able to use a baby as a cop-out.

B. Anchoring

The term "anchor baby" was coined when immigrants would come here illegally, have kids, and when those kids grew up, the parents could be in the US at any time despite being illegal. That is possible due to birthright citizenship. By having a baby in the US and it gaining citizenship, illegals become legal despite breaking laws.

Also, the parents will be allowed in the US even if the immigration quota (# of immigrants allowed annually) is full. So if a Mexican wants to come here, but she can't because we've already had 90,000 Mexicans come here this year, she uses birthright citizenship as an incentive to come illegally, to bypass the quota.

C. Welfare

In Darces v. Woods, the Supreme Court ruled that illegal alien parents are entitled to US welfare if they have an American citizen child (2). So they can come illegally, but still get food stamps and Medicaid? I dont think so. You have to follow the law to benefit from the law. And remember, birthright citiznship enables this by placing immigrant children within the criteria for welfare qualification.

D. Empirically proven

Its not just theoretics. According to the Texas Review of Law and Politics, almost 10% of all births in the US are from illegal immigrant mothers (3). Additionally, "Many of these mothers frankly admitted that the reason they entered illegally was to give birth to an American citizen."

E. Illegal immigration bad

The Federation for American Immigration Reform estimates that illegal immigration costs Americans 113 billion dollars a year (4). If even one percent of that can be alleviated by abolishihng the Birthright incentive, thats over a billion dollars you're saving through a Con ballot.

C2: Misapplication of the law

The fourteenth amendment is Birthright Citizenship. But it was passed in 1868. This was shortly after the Emancipation Proclomation by Abraham Lincoln, "freeing" the slaves. The amendment was passed to expand the freedom of African-Americans, so they would be treated fairly as citizens (4). It was NOT passed so that illegal aliens could use it to come to America against US law. Incentivizing crime is probably not what the framers had in mind when they wrote this amendment. So we see that the Bithright Citizenship clause is being severely misapplied. It is being exploited by foreigners who want to bypass the quota and get free baby food. So because the origin of this law has no backing in regards to the current state of affairs, it would be desirable to repeal it.

1. http://illegalillegals.com...
2. http://law.justia.com...
3. http://www.trolp.org...
4. http://www.foxnews.com...
5. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk...

KiwiJudas

Pro

KiwiJudas forfeited this round.
BlackVoid

Con

Sadly my opponent has deactivtated his account.
KiwiJudas

Pro

KiwiJudas forfeited this round.
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
If by chance you become able to participate before next round, I'd be fine with acting like nothing happened.
Posted by KiwiJudas 5 years ago
KiwiJudas
I'll post mine up within a few hours.
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
Sorry, my first post will probably be up in a couple days.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
KiwiJudasBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Waste of effort, Con should repost.
Vote Placed by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
KiwiJudasBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 5 years ago
LaissezFaire
KiwiJudasBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits.