koppime
Sunbean

Black Entertainment Television

Sunbean

koppime

Con

Why is there a BET, and not WET. I understand that blacks are minorities, but does that call for their own television network? If whites were to have their own television network people would flip out!
Sunbean

Pro

I'll accept this challenge, interpreting it as defending the existence of BET racially/culturally. There is no WET because there's no point in having WET network.
koppime

Con

Fair enough, but I can not think of a valid reason to have a BET either, and unless you can give me any I do not see your point.
Sunbean

Pro

Of course, there's not any point to television as a whole, in my irrelevant opinion.

Anyways, since black culture is its own unique type of American culture, it gets its own channels, just as Hispanics do. That being said ,black television is available on other channels, but BET is just focused on this form of entertainment. White American television is generally just accepted as typical television shows, American television. And there are plenty of All-American television networks, so an explicit channel for whites isn't needed.

In short, because African American culture is so distinguishable in America, it gets its own channel, mostly to appeal to a particular audience.
koppime

Con

I do see what you mean, sort of. Yes they are their own type of American culture, but I don't see how that automatically gives them the right to have a television network. I am not sure if you have even watched the channel, but there are constantly racist comments! That is not right! I would understand if it was composed of shows similar to Roots, but it is not. Alicia Keys at the BET Awards even claimed,
"Everyone wants to be like us!" (black)
Think about that coming from A popular white celebrity, like if Celine Dion said "Everyone wants to be white!"
Exactly.

Anyways, Why is are typical television shows considered WET? I can name a plethora of shows featuring black families!
Sanford and Sons
Meet the Browns
Fresh Prince
The Cosby Show
Family Matters
The Jefferson's
Webster
Benson
Sister, Sister
My Wife and Kids
Good Times
Are We There Yet
Girlfriends

There are so many more! If normal television (Nick at Nite, ABC, TLC,...ex.) Has shows specifically centered around black families why are you calling it White American Television? Does BET have shows about white families? NO, and as you can see by the list I just created there are PLENTY of black television shows, and I don't see a need for a specific channel just to prove something, and add racist comments. Thank-you.
Sunbean

Pro

Since I have admittedly never bothered to watch BET more than twice, I cannot accept that there are constant racist comments, neither do I know if these comments are pro or anti-black. I'll assume pro, because of the Alicia Keys comment.

I believe, in respect to this comment, that the way Keys meant to describe "us" was how blacks are viewed often. Strong, independent, and bold. Similarly, if a white were to say that everyone wants to be white, it is just interpreted as the color of their skin. It makes sense that a person has pride in their ethnicity, but unfortunately minorities have and still are being treated too unfairly for anyone to accept pride for whites, because it sounds too negative.

What is considered white television is Standard television here in America, mostly because whites are a majority and therefore more stations are aimed towards them. I did say that black centered shows were outside of BET, and many of them are. BET is only for this Type of entertainment, because it is not as common as white, and therefore it has a channel. If course they're not going to show "Friends" on that channel any time soon.

Even if typical television was not white, but it is, there are still many channels focusing on American themes alone. Unfortunately, these ideals do not include black culture, so they are just as racist as you claim BET is.

I believe this is all I have to say on the matter. Thank you very much for the debate!
Posted by Sunbean 4 years ago
Sunbean
Yes, best of luck!
Posted by koppime 4 years ago
koppime
Thanks, hopefully I'll get better soon :3
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
In that case, congratulations, and good luck in future debates. :)
Posted by koppime 4 years ago
koppime
Oh haha. The secret was that I am actually a 13 year old girl, and this was my first debate ever! Thanks a bunch for helping me gain more experience!
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
koppime, now that the voting is over, what was your secret?
Posted by koppime 4 years ago
koppime
I know I said I would tell the secret after the debate, but I am worried it will effect the voting due to the fact it could be perceived as a negative trait. Haha, after voting. :)
Posted by Sunbean 4 years ago
Sunbean
Alright. And thank you. :D

You had some tough rebuttals.
Posted by koppime 4 years ago
koppime
Also, I just now figured out I could comment, I was so frustrated.
Posted by koppime 4 years ago
koppime
I have a secret to tell you commenters/sunbean, but I can not tell you until the debate is over. I like your name by the way. Sunbean.
Posted by Sunbean 4 years ago
Sunbean
Basically, likespace.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
koppimeSunbeanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro addressed, "If whites were to have their own television network people would flip out!" by pointing out the obvious--that Whites already have many, many TV networks. Good conduct on both sides.
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
koppimeSunbeanTied
Reasons for voting decision: In the first round, Con asked a question which Pro effectively answered. To my mind, that's enough for Pro to win. I think Con had some good points, and he would have done better if he'd framed his argument and the resolution more clearly. It took me a couple of rounds to figure out what his position was.
Vote Placed by Jarhyn 4 years ago
Jarhyn
koppimeSunbeanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Convincing to PRO, as he argued concisely that while BET is targeted towards appealing to a specific audience, the majority audience is appealed to already by normal television and that a WET would encourage an unacceptable status quo, whereas "normal" television both appeals to the "white" population and does not clearly support the unacceptability of the racial status quo.
Vote Placed by Cobo 4 years ago
Cobo
koppimeSunbeanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro handled themselves very well in the debate and presented the only real argument.