FaustThe21st
Abigailjb

Black History Month or any month celebrating a specific ethnic history only promotes more racism.

Abigailjb has forfeited round #2.

FaustThe21st

Pro

By accepting this debate, you realize that-

1. This is a controversial topic, relax and let's have a nice debate

2. I will be arguing that "Ethnic history months only promote more racism."

3. BIASED and UNRELIABLE sources are not allowed (philosophy, statistics, logic, and everything else is allowed.)

4. Clearly label parts of your debate speech so your points are understandable.

5. Finally, just so we both know what we are getting into, your first post or argument would be accepting these terms and the stance that you have chosen.

Thank you for your time,

- Faust
Abigailjb

Con

I accept this challenge and can not wait for a logical debate on (as you said) this very controversial topic.

I will be proving that back history month (since that is the main argument specified in the tithe) does not promote racism, but founded to bring attention to the contributions of black people to American history.
FaustThe21st

Pro

Intro -

Before I begin I would like to thank my opponent and everybody who is participating in this debate.

Background -

To begin I would like to start by clearifying one thing - The celebration of your history is allowed and is encouraged, you should be proud of who you are because that is what America is about.

Stance-

Now as I talk about this arguement I would like to talk about what this debate comes down to protecting equality and destroying the modern day racism that masquerades as diversity.

Point 1 -

Basing a time-period for a race or ethnic celebration of history singles or separates them from the collective group.

When you celebrate a month based on race, (an example being black history month) you are putting them on a pedistal they might not want to be in.

There are many African Americans, Hispanics, Whites, Asians, etc who would rather celebrate their history whenever and wherever they are comfortable in, instead of it being put on display for a whole month. (Which by the way not every race gets a month dedicated to their history, and even though that may not be a legitimate arguement I just thought it was something intresting to note.)

https://www.youtube.com...

Here is a famous example of Morgan Freeman and Mike Wallace saying that they don't want their history to be put on display for a month. (Which by the way my school cherry-picked a quote from that whole entire video to justify celebrating the holiday. Doesn't that demean Morgan Freeman? This makes me think that Black History Month is celebrated as an agenda to supposedly make amends for the actions of the past. It doesn't seem like they care about the rights and freedoms of the individual.)

And you would not believe how many people feel this way many of which are African American.

Point 2 -

It is not representitive of equality to separate history and call it "your" and "my" history

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Martin Luther King Jr.

Having a black, hispanic, or white history months just reinforces what a KKK grandmaster would say that we should separate our cultures and use these labels. No freedom activist would aprove of such a month, and the problem is that people look at Black History Month as solvency for racism. But I have shown to you that it does excactly the opposite. It only reinforces the categories that were once used to justify colonialism.

Point 3 -

It reminds people of conflicts of the past and creates hatred among the new generation.

I'm not saying that we should hide that slavery existed in the past, but the way it is presented in this month creates an "us against you"mentality that then creates conflict. In America the sins of the father and grandfather will not and should not be passed on to the son, but history celebrations such as this only ignite an anger over something the people of today had no control over. (Racial tensions are already bad enough by the way, I can't set foot anywhere without somebody saying that I have some sort of privilage because of the color of my skin when they no almost nothing about me.)

Conclusion So in conclusion, I belive that logically and statistically Black History Month or any month celebrating a specific ethnic history only promotes more racism and creates more conflict because of the reasons I stated in the round. What we should be doing instead is celebrating peace, unity, and freedom as a world full of united people which promotes equality and stands for the ideals of this country. Because of this, I urge a vote for pro.

Posted by Lookingatissues 10 months ago
Lookingatissues
"Black History Month or any month celebrating a specific races history only promotes more racism"
If tolerance and unity amongst all races is the goal then to have a month set aside specify for one race is not the way to do it. Designating one month to honor once race out of all the other races in America can only be offensive and hurtful to all of the other races.
representative Government should not be in the business of demonstrating that it has a preference for one race over another, government by officially setting one month specifically for a select race isn't the way to promote harmony among the nations citizens .