Veztic
recondite

"Black Lives Matter" Movement

Veztic

Con

I want to start off by saying that of course black lives matter. I believe that everyone was created equal and with a purpose. But this movement is completely arrogant and in my opinion, idiotic. The public displays of violence and comments are only embarrassing and throws any chance of sympathy and understanding out the window. This movement has been poorly run and should be dismissed.
recondite

Pro

"Black Lives Matter" is the slogan for a current movement that supports African Americans facing police brutality. Like you, I feel that the "Black Lives Matter" movement is not a movement that is dismissing individuals that are "non-black" but rather a movement that is calling for the recognition and awareness of the many disadvantages black people face in America. I believe this movement is rooted in past conflicts involving bias against African Americans in the criminal justice system.

You view this movement as "completely arrogant" presumably because you are sick of the violent response protesters have resorted to in order to get the message across: " The public displays of violence and comments are only embarrassing and throws any chance of sympathy and understanding out the window.".

Many Americans are sick of it. I"m sick of it as well.

Although this is true, I don"t think the violent measures protestors display should ever affect the amount of attention authorities put into the issues they are protesting about. People have protested violently for women"s rights, desegregation, gay acceptance, the preaching of creationism in public schools and other civil rights issues. This is just another one.
Veztic

Con

I agree with your statement that the message that is trying to be proclaimed is the right message. But the message is not being pushed across because media and society is distracted with all the controversy surrounding it.

As for the violence, i would agree that violence has been portrayed by movements in an attempt to get there point across. Yet at he same time the new era of technology has yet to see a strong rally for change. We are too sensitive and easily offended for change to be solved with violence, especially on a topic where a big point of focus is on the topic of violence itself. Just this week at a local high school the basketball team had to cancel a game because of threats from a black lives matter rally group near the opposing teams complex. If they are going to try and get something done and show that black lives matter. They are going to have to force the respect of people by acting with peace and giving the people no choice but to accept what needs to be done.
recondite

Pro

You say : "We are too sensitive and easily offended for change to be solved with violence...".

For all the faults we find in the "Black Lives Matter" movement, we will find as many faults in other movements that involve protesting. (For example, anti-government movements can be very violent.) Also wanted to point out that the movement is not entirely violently enforced. There are non-violent rallies for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Why do these protesters have to "force the respect of the people" as you say? How do we know that this movement hasn't been going on for a long time? We heard more about the movement after the rallies and protests. I am not justifying violence, I am just pointing out that sometimes protesting is a way of bringing attention to issues that need to be addressed.
Veztic

Con

Veztic forfeited this round.
recondite

Pro

I don't really have anything to argue against, seeing you forfeited the last round. All I want to point out is that blacks face a lot of disadvantages in America. That is what we are fighting for. For equal rights. To not be so heavily stereotyped.
Veztic

Con

Veztic forfeited this round.
recondite

Pro

recondite forfeited this round.
Posted by BrendanD19 1 year ago
BrendanD19
1) You do realize movements aren't "run" by anyone other than the people. Movements like this may have spokesmen, organizers and figureheads, but none of them actually "run" the movement.
2) There have been no "public displays of violence". That is just utter nonsense.